C: B Hill, Hogan, Langdon
R: Darcy, Fyfe, Mundy
HF: McCarthy, Taberner, Walters
FF: Switkowski, Lobb, Matera
IC: Conca, Brayshaw, Collier, Bennell

Emerg:
Bewley, Banfield, B.Cox

[/QUOTE

At present, Cox has more runs on the board than McCarthy. Really want to see Cam get the hunger back, but I think he needs to do some hard yards at Peel.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Personally think there is a lot of over-rating on Duman at the moment. Yes, when he had the ball he used it well but he was an outright liability defensively a lot of the time. I said this before but I remember Puopolo breathing on him in a contest and he went flying 5 metres off the ball.

There is definitely something to work with but I dont think he's best 22 at the moment and Logue, who can actually defend as a defender has him pretty well covered at the moment

Think what you like but because Dumans skinny people see him get knocked off the ball and get a bit irrational about it if you ask me , Luke Ryan was shakey as f*ck with ground balls deep in the last 1/3 of the year but no one ever mentions it because he went pretty well in the first half of the year and he is one of the ' anointed ones '

Dumans never going to be a great 1vs1 player but I have him as our 2nd or 3rd best mopper-up behind Blakely and maybe Hilly with scope to be a very useful player in the Duffield mould

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think what you like but because Dumans skinny people see him get knocked off the ball and get a bit irrational about it if you ask me , Luke Ryan was shakey as f*ck with ground balls deep in the last 1/3 of the year but no one ever mentions it because he went pretty well in the first half of the year and he is one of the ' anointed ones '

Dumans never going to be a great 1vs1 player but I have him as our 2nd or 3rd best mopper-up behind Blakely and maybe Hilly with scope to be a very useful player in the Duffield mould

Luke Ryan also almost broke the record for intercept marks so there's that...

There's not being a great 1v1 player and there's being a liability. Like I said, I think he has the scope to be a good player but he needs to put A LOT of work into his defensive game, especially if he's actually being a defender. I also dispute the dude that said he was firmly b22. He was in the 22 because a lot of players were injured, that does not make you "firmly b22." Looking it up, he was omitted for round 20 against the Eagles anyway, so that immediately shoots that down.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Luke Ryan also almost broke the record for intercept marks so there's that...

There's not being a great 1v1 player and there's being a liability. Like I said, I think he has the scope to be a good player but he needs to put A LOT of work into his defensive game, especially if he's actually being a defender. I also dispute the dude that said he was firmly b22. He was in the 22 because a lot of players were injured, that does not make you "firmly b22." Looking it up, he was omitted for round 20 against the Eagles anyway, so that immediately shoots that down.

Yeah omitted against the Eagles and their small forwards had a field day , doubt Duman could have done a whole lot to stop that but they pretty much locked him into the sweeper role for the last few games after that

Aug 6, 2018
Karratha or Windsor Hotel
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
Horses for courses for me, Logue when we need height to help out Pearce and Hambling and Duman on mid sized fwds for his rebound after his breakout game against the pies last year
Ryan is a special player, his courage standing up for his intercepts cost him a lot of knees to his back and he looked sore towards latter part of season
Wilson is in for a big year and his kicking is going to be crucial but more impotantly he won me over at his first ever press conference where he declared his love for Freo and contempt for the shitbags down the road!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Only skimming this thread, what’s with Cerra being on back flanks? Not gonna take Neale’s midfields minutes?
The plan was more that Blakely would step into that midfield role, Cerra to keep developing with some midfield stints. We have quite a few midfielders who can play back so it is easy to adjust if needed.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Only skimming this thread, what’s with Cerra being on back flanks? Not gonna take Neale’s midfields minutes?
Neale’s midfield minutes will be covered by committee.
Mundy will play full midfield.
Conca,Cerra, S Hill and Blakely will play between half back and midfield.
Hogan may spend time in the middle.
Walters will play more midfield than forward.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think this is what Match Committee will pick, but below is the team I would pick.

I'm not considering Sandi or Bennell because both still seem to be a fair way off the pace with their availability. I am considering S.Hill, Blakely, and Switta because even though they are injured at least there is a decent expectation that they will become available at some point.

Nyhuis Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Ryan
B.Hill Fyfe S.Hill
Cerra Hogan Cox
Walters Lobb Switta

Darcy Mundy Blakely

Conca Langdon Brayshaw Banfield

Emergencies: Tucker Ballas Tabs Duman

Hey lads,
interested to know what ruck combination you guys will start off with this year and also what the best ruck structure if everyone was healthy would be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
No Colyer even in the emergencies ?? I do like the team though, obviously with 100% availability
Yeah, good point. Its not a hate thing! OK, Colyer instead of Ballas in the emergencies. I'm not a big fan of the 2019 Ballas but I'm still waiting for others to actually go past him (in particular, looking at you Matera).

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Yeah, good point. Its not a hate thing! OK, Colyer instead of Ballas in the emergencies. I'm not a big fan of the 2019 Ballas but I'm still waiting for others to actually go past him (in particular, looking at you Matera).
How different do you think the match committee's side would be, everyone available as with yours?

My thoughts are that they would be quite similar;

Cerra Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Ryan
B.Hill Fyfe S.Hill
Banfield Hogan Cox
Walters Lobb Switta

Darcy Mundy Blakely

Conca Langdon Brayshaw Tucker

Would be decisions to make regarding the forward line (primarily Taberner versus Cox), and I think they prefer a running player to the more defensive Nyhuis. Really Ballantyne needs to force his name into the calculations at this stage. For me he is a non starter.

Last edited:

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
How different do you think the match committee's side would be, everyone available as with yours?

My thoughts are that they would be quite similar;

Would be decisions to make regarding the forward line (primarily Taberner versus Cox), and I think they prefer a running player to the more defensive Nyhuis. Really Ballantyne needs to force his name into the calculations at this stage. For me he is a non starter.

I think you are right regarding Nyhuis and Match Committee. For me, if Logue settles in OK I think he will probably be a bit of an offensive, running defender. I don't see him just sitting back on his man once he builds a little bit of confidence. If that happens then I think Wilson and Ryan, supported by Pearce and Logue will provide enough drive behind the ball.

So if that happens, then:

- I'd value Nyhuis's defending more than Duman or Hughes's offense

- we can release Cerra to play forward and midfield. I would love to see him play in front of the ball and get creative. From his draft year I can remember guys like Rayner saying how great it is to lead to his kicks. If half-backs can get the ball to him at half-forward then we may see quite a few kicks to advantage of our talls.

If Cerra plays mid-forward, then I would play Walters in the pocket. He is quality there and crumbing to Hogan and Lobb could easily get back to being a 40+ goals a year player. 40+ out of both Walters and Hogan and we are right in the mix for finals.

Lots of ifs though!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think you are right regarding Nyhuis and Match Committee. For me, if Logue settles in OK I think he will probably be a bit of an offensive, running defender. I don't see him just sitting back on his man once he builds a little bit of confidence. If that happens then I think Wilson and Ryan, supported by Pearce and Logue will provide enough drive behind the ball.

So if that happens, then:

- I'd value Nyhuis's defending more than Duman or Hughes's offense

- we can release Cerra to play forward and midfield. I would love to see him play in front of the ball and get creative. From his draft year I can remember guys like Rayner saying how great it is to lead to his kicks. If half-backs can get the ball to him at half-forward then we may see quite a few kicks to advantage of our talls.

If Cerra plays mid-forward, then I would play Walters in the pocket. He is quality there and crumbing to Hogan and Lobb could easily get back to being a 40+ goals a year player. 40+ out of both Walters and Hogan and we are right in the mix for finals.

Lots of ifs though!
I think you have just mapped out the pathway the club sees for Cerra's development. I am certain they don't see him at HBF long term.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just some left field thinking post JLT1 and ahead of JLT2...
  • Think they should consider trying Hughes on a wing. One of probably only three decent kicks inside 50 on Monday (and whilst having Stephenson on his hammer), the other two by Brad Hill. Certainly has the endurance, speed and athleticism, strong mark, strong body, brings some height (which other options don't have) and it might unleash the attacking flair he showed when he started with us at Peel (off half back) and he had before that at SD prior to being drafted. Also gives him a bit more space to work in - which I think he flourishes in. He could still drop back to assist defence and be an intercept option (he had 2nd most intercepts after Pearce in JLT1).
  • I'd probably push Duman into consideration for the wing also. He looked good there in his first year for Peel - was close to BOG in the WAFL Grand Final paying mostly from the wing. Used his speed and composure to good effect. Delivered some lace out i50s, good on transition and can kick a goal from outside 50 (like Hughes can also - not that he is allowed to).
  • I'm also not against training Bewley up as a half back. He played off half back at VFL and the knock on him was his defensive abilities but the same was said of Luke Ryan and now he's quite strong defensively. Would provide strong cover if Ryan or Wilson went down and can you ever have enough good long kicks in your back line?
  • I'm hoping (and quite certain) we're building Carter to be a speedy half back under the tutelage of Roger Hayden as well. We really need some speed in our back half to defend against quick small forwards. Carter has excellent speed, good agility, decent height and could bring some extra run out of defence. Needs to work on his disposal but has that speed to get out of trouble like the Hills. Similar attributes to Nyhuis in many ways, who I won't mind seeing get an opportunity in JLT2 - either as a lock down defender or as a defensive forward - maybe a bit of both?
  • I'd throw Cerra in the middle in JLT2. Even if he ends back at half back come round 1, him getting his hands on the pill in a competitive environment will get him involved and give him plenty of confidence heading into the regular season. I'd look at what Conca and Bewley could bring from half back amongst the rest of the back line instead.
  • Can we just rip the bandaid off with Ballas already? We need to try out our future (ie younger) small forward options. He seems immune from the axe and I just don't get it. Shultz was brilliant in the intraclub and deserved to play JLT1, so should definitely play JLT2. I hope we get to see McCarthy in amongst better talls as well assuming Switkowski is injured.
  • If we play Crowden in JLT2 we should throw him on ball just to see what we've got. If we are just going to plonk him in the forward line or on a wing then I wouldn't bother playing him. I personally think he is one of those players that works better in congestion - immense pressure, tackling machine, firing out a handball, spreading for an outlet pass, and kicking inside 50... Like Tucker, I think he gets lost in too much space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back