Prediction 2019 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on current list (all fit and firing) with, IMO, players in relatively best position and with apologies to Broomhead, Greenwood, Mayne & Reid; I present to you for your consideration the 2019 AFL Premiership team line-up:

upload_2018-10-21_9-55-14.png

Last edited:
Based on current list (all fit and firing) with, IMO, players in relatively best position and with apologies to Broomhead, Greenwood, Mayne & Reid; I present to you for your consideration the 2019 AFL Premiership team line-up:

View attachment 576735
Seriously, in all my 47 years of supporting black n white, can’t recall a stronger, complete list.
Barring the usual injuries, absolutely no excuses next year.
Hardly a deficiency on any line.

Seriously, in all my 47 years of supporting black n white, can’t recall a stronger, complete list.
If I may be picky.
Fwd line could use a bit of diversity. A true goalsneak/crumber or a tall marking fwd would be nice. WHE, Elliott and to a lesser extent Thomas share too many traits. Perhaps Moore to the front.
Defense is still a bit iffy. We rely on the old warhorses Dunn and Goldsack, a younger big bodied defender would have been nice.
Happy with them nonetheless. Should be a hoot if it all comes together.

Dang, I don’t fully agree with the makeup, but have a good read of the below, taken from the AFL website. We are in bloody good shape indeed.

B: Brayden Maynard, Lynden Dunn, Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Jack Crisp
C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Josh Thomas
F: Jamie Elliott, Mason Cox, Jordan De Goey
FOLL: Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Adam Treloar
I/C: Daniel Wells, Jaidyn Stephenson, Tom Phillips, Tyson Goldsack

Not surprisingly, this was the toughest Collingwood 22 to pick in six or seven years. The strength of the side is shown not only by the class on the field but by those we couldn't squeeze in. Missing from the team that went down to West Coast in the grand final, it pains us to say, are experienced trio Travis Varcoe, Chris Mayne and Levi Greenwood, along with younger runners Brayden Sier and James Aish, while swingman Ben Reid and Matt Scharenberg were also unlucky. With such hot competition for spots, ex-Bulldog Jordan Roughead was also overlooked. The big inclusions are four matchwinners: Darcy Moore at centre half-back, returning star Dayne Beams and veteran Daniel Wells, who further bolster a star-studded midfield, and Jamie Elliott into attack. We can be accused of erring on the side of attacking flair, but so be it. - Ben Collins

Here is my team for Finals 2019

Once Dunn and Scharenberg are fit they are in. Until then Goldsack and Roughead play the two key defence positions.
Elliott will not make it back as a regular. Neither will Wells. Neither will Reid.
Varco will struggle to be in best 22 by seasons end
Aish and Greenwood not in best 22 by seasons end, and Greenwood might not be offered a new contract.

C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Dayne Beams
F: Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Jordan De Goey
FOLL: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Adam Treloar
I/C: Brayden Sier, Jaidyn Stephenson, Matt Scharenberg, Chris Mayne

I think J Daicos and C Brown will get games if others are not fit or need a rest
I think Roughead could get more game play if Mihocek doesn't perform and Moore moves forward

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you consider Tom Phillips or Josh Thomas as not best 22, both way ahead of Wells.

Also prefer Mayne as a pressure applier over Wells, who is pretty much an older version of Aaron Hall tbh.

Round 1:
FB: Brayden maynard ~ Jordan Roughhead ~ Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jeremy Howe
C: Tom Phillips ~ Dayne Beams ~ Steele Sidebottom
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliot ~ Brody Mihocek ~ Josh Thomas
FF: Jordan De Goey ~ Mason Cox ~ Jaidyn Stephensen
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Adam Treloar ~ Taylor Adams
I/C: Scott Pendlebury, Chris Mayne, Travis Varcoe, Brayden Sier

What I hope for by finals:

FB: Brayden maynard ~ Lynden Dunn ~ Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp ~ Matthew Scharenberg ~ Jeremy Howe
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliot ~ Mason Cox ~ Josh Thomas
FF: Jordan De Goey ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jaidyn Stephensen

Dang, I don’t fully agree with the makeup, but have a good read of the below, taken from the AFL website. We are in bloody good shape indeed.

C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Josh Thomas
F: Jamie Elliott, Mason Cox, Jordan De Goey
FOLL: Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Adam Treloar
I/C: Daniel Wells, Jaidyn Stephenson, Tom Phillips, Tyson Goldsack

Not surprisingly, this was the toughest Collingwood 22 to pick in six or seven years. The strength of the side is shown not only by the class on the field but by those we couldn't squeeze in. Missing from the team that went down to West Coast in the grand final, it pains us to say, are experienced trio Travis Varcoe, Chris Mayne and Levi Greenwood, along with younger runners Brayden Sier and James Aish, while swingman Ben Reid and Matt Scharenberg were also unlucky. With such hot competition for spots, ex-Bulldog Jordan Roughead was also overlooked. The big inclusions are four matchwinners: Darcy Moore at centre half-back, returning star Dayne Beams and veteran Daniel Wells, who further bolster a star-studded midfield, and Jamie Elliott into attack. We can be accused of erring on the side of attacking flair, but so be it. - Ben Collins
The opening sentence says it all. We added 2 players this year and only 1 made it to the team. Yet last year people were writing us off to 13th spot and the side was picking itself almost. What a difference a good GF campaign makes.

Look I too think that Wells is probably too old to make an impact in 2019, but to put an elite silky gun like Wells was, in the same category as the flawed Hall is just absurd.
They're most certainly in the same category.

Both defensive liabilities, Wells have better skills but Hall hasn't lost his speed and agility like Wells has.

If Wells plays I don't want any more than 60% TOG from him.

Both defensive liabilities, Wells have better skills but Hall hasn't lost his speed and agility like Wells has.

If Wells plays I just want him to have the ball.

Because he’ll do good things with it.

He’s our cherry on top of our cake walk :)

Really?!

You (and everyone else here frothing over our star studded defense and spine for next year) must have been sleeping in 2011 then...

B: C.Tarrant N.Brown N.Maxwell
HB: H.Shaw B.Reid H.O'Brien
C: S.Sidebottom S.Pendlebury D.Beams
HF: A.Didak T.Cloke D.Thomas
F: L.Davis C.Dawes A.Krakouer
R: D.Jolly D.Swan L.Ball
INT: S.Wellingham B.Johnson T.Goldsack L.Brown
Emerg: J.Blair A.Toovey B.Macaffer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you consider Tom Phillips or Josh Thomas as not best 22, both way ahead of Wells.

Also prefer Mayne as a pressure applier over Wells, who is pretty much an older version of Aaron Hall tbh.

Round 1:
FB: Brayden maynard ~ Jordan Roughhead ~ Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jeremy Howe
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliot ~ Brody Mihocek ~ Josh Thomas
FF: Jordan De Goey ~ Mason Cox ~ Jaidyn Stephensen

What I hope for by finals:

FB: Brayden maynard ~ Lynden Dunn ~ Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp ~ Matthew Scharenberg ~ Jeremy Howe
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliot ~ Mason Cox ~ Josh Thomas
FF: Jordan De Goey ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jaidyn Stephensen
You don't think Jamie Elliott will make it?

Wells’ running wise wouldn’t be good defensively but he’s pressure around the ball is allot better than Hall’s.

You don't think Jamie Elliott will make it?
I think he certainly has more chances in the AFL, just struggle to see who he replaces?

With Beams, Adams, Treloar, Sier guaranteed to split inside midfield minutes; Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Phillips guaranteed to split outside midfield minutes, the midfield department is 100% saturated. There're 5 onfield minute spots, which means at least 2 of them will have to play from bench.

This means that Hoskin-Elliot, De Goey, Stephensen, thomas, who are all proven goal kicking performers with good durability taking up 4/4 of the onfield forward spots.

So essentially, for Elliot to play, he will be fighting for one of the remaining 2 bench spots, one of which needs to be allocated to a defence player.

Varcoe as a dominant finals player and flexibility to play half-back/wing/half forward with good tackling pressure will take up the defence bench spot.

So essentially, Elliot will be fighting for that last bench spot vs Mayne vs Moore vs Roughhead vs Scharenberg vs Greenwood vs Aish etc etc depending on our starting lineup, all of which are more versatile than Elliot.

If it's Mayne vs Elliot, I'm going with Mayne every single time. Mayne is a solid role player, and we have a team full of offensive match winners all across the ground. We want selfless tackling pressure and 1%ers from the last bench player. Mayne is that person, Elliot is not.

Elliot if fit will play some games next year, but if it was up to me I wouldn't be selecting too many of those offensive players that can't run both ways.

Really?!

You (and everyone else here frothing over our star studded defense and spine for next year) must have been sleeping in 2011 then...

C: S.Sidebottom S.Pendlebury D.Beams
HF: A.Didak T.Cloke D.Thomas
F: L.Davis C.Dawes A.Krakouer
R: D.Jolly D.Swan L.Ball
INT: S.Wellingham B.Johnson T.Goldsack L.Brown
Emerg: J.Blair A.Toovey B.Macaffer

Yeah it's not even close, that line up is streets ahead of the current.

Really?!

Brown was good 1on1 but a butcher
Dunn just as capable and an elite kicker.

The Prince was inconsistent and very predictable.
Crisp IMO is more rounded.

Maxwell got the most out of himself and was an absolute general but
Howe or even Goldsack are better and more versatile.

Reid was All Australian and in his prime was elite so agree he can't be replaced at this stage although
Moore if we get him right could be better.

Tarrant I didn't really rate as a defender but was serviceable.
Shaz is well and truly in the mix as an equal

Shaw is another elite that I agree can't be replaced or bettered over the season but
Maynard is still young.

W

Where's Murphy? Nobody rates this kid? He'll be in our 22 or I'm an African Ape.....oh wait...

Steady on apeboy. :D

Agree, by seasons end and barring injury, Murphy likely to be in our senior 22.

Last edited:
I think if anyone should watch closer it should be you, would of been all Australian halfway through the year hes 22 just settle down a bit.

LOL, and here I was thinking that the squad wasn't even named to late August.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back