Preview 2019 Best and Fairest thread - Starts 7.30pm tonight 4th October

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 vs 2019 comparisons.

View attachment 758802

Clurey and Jonas tied for 5th on 130 votes.

Boak - 17.7% improvement
Byrne-Jones - 12.8% improvement
Houston - 14.2% improvement
Rozee - no data
Clurey - 9.5% improvement
Jonas - no change
Rockliff - 9% improvement
Burton - no data
Duursma - no data
Gray - 2.6% decline
Lycett - no data

What's more amazing is the following:

1. In seven quarters of football, Jack Watts, with 20 votes, polled more votes than Ladhams, Sutcliffe, Farrell, Garner, McKenzie and Frampton...and only two less than Dixon and three less than Lienert. All these players except McKenzie had more game time than him.

2. Dougal Howard only polled in 5 games for the entire season for 49 votes. By comparison, Butters polled in 12 games for 53 votes. Both have issues with work rate in comparison to their peers.

3. Amon went from 10 votes last year to 92 votes this year. Probably the single biggest jump.

4. Bonner also improved - 52 votes to 90 votes.

5. Wines dropped off massively - 162 votes last year to 56 votes this year. At least Jonas kept his performance to the same standard.

Ken's speech just sounded of desperation and the fact that even the real captain and B&F winner unintentionally ripped him is sad.

Will be the first time in his tenure here that he'll be under the pump.

Question to anyone who was there ?
What was the feel of the room?. On the videos uploaded on the club website, the proceedings came across as somewhat subdued. Not sure if it was tension, an uneasiness, or maybe just boredom. Even the audience reactions seemed somewhat distant - more so than last year. Felt like something was not quite right. Or have I misinterpreted. I hope so. Would be interested to hear what attendees thought of the atmosphere in the room.

Staggered that Atley and Woodcock got the votes they did, but generally looks about right otherwise.

The players are given roles to do. What the average spectator often doesn’t see is that whilst a player might have seemingly not done much in their eyes, that the player actually had a job to nullify an opposition player, hold zones to create space, put blocks on, decoys etc. Players do so much off the ball that goes unnoticed these days yet get whacked for allegedly having a quiet game. Many of those “quiet” games involve running 14kms. We tend to watch the big picture whereas coaches have 6 players that they pretty much watch and monitor per game. Stats don’t paint the full picture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations Boak. I see he made mention a couple of times of you w***ers who had written him off in recent years. Proved you all wrong. Onya Boak.
Now let’s see if Kenny can prove us wrong.

Anyway Boak’s speech inspired me to want to buy ten memberships for next season lol.

Congratulations Boak. I see he made mention a couple of times of you w***ers who had written him off in recent years.
To be fair, that was back when we still had just enough cause to think our coaches must know what they’re doing by shifting him to half forward

Clurey and Jonas tied for 5th on 130 votes.

Boak - 17.7% improvement
Byrne-Jones - 12.8% improvement
Houston - 14.2% improvement
Rozee - no data
Clurey - 9.5% improvement
Jonas - no change
Rockliff - 9% improvement
Burton - no data
Duursma - no data
Gray - 2.6% decline
Lycett - no data

What's more amazing is the following:

1. In seven quarters of football, Jack Watts, with 20 votes, polled more votes than Ladhams, Sutcliffe, Farrell, Garner, McKenzie and Frampton...and only two less than Dixon and three less than Lienert. All these players except McKenzie had more game time than him.

2. Dougal Howard only polled in 5 games for the entire season for 49 votes. By comparison, Butters polled in 12 games for 53 votes. Both have issues with work rate in comparison to their peers.

3. Amon went from 10 votes last year to 92 votes this year. Probably the single biggest jump.

4. Bonner also improved - 52 votes to 90 votes.

5. Wines dropped off massively - 162 votes last year to 56 votes this year. At least Jonas kept his performance to the same standard.
1, watts was close to best on ground in a side that played is best footy for the year - maximum votes, v the others named that played in some lackluster victories or losses - less votes dished out in those games.

5 wines played a third of the season and got a third of the votes..

There's a lot more to this voting system than just raw numbers.

Congratulations Boak. I see he made mention a couple of times of you w***ers who had written him off in recent years. Proved you all wrong. Onya Boak.

Anyway Boak’s speech inspired me to want to buy ten memberships for next season lol.
Proved the coach wrong for not playing him in the middle for three years, he even said it.

That was a shot at Kane Cornes mostly.
1, watts was close to best on ground in a side that played is best footy for the year - maximum votes, v the others named that played in some lackluster victories or losses - less votes dished out in those games.

5 wines played a third of the season and got a third of the votes..

There's a lot more to this voting system than just raw numbers.

Watts was 5th best against Melbourne and polled 12 votes.

Farrell polled 13 votes across Gold Coast and Fremantle and donuts for every other game he played.

Wines was BOG that night and isn't listed at all so I think it should be Wines as 14 instead of Westhoff.
In that case Westy’s total votes are definitely wrong, using my fingers (and crediting Westy with thr good votes in round 5, not the second lot) 85 is already 2 more than it should be

Anyone with Excel wanna reckon the votes against the declared totals?

Edit: I think Jonas has 10 votes more than the round by round votes show too, but Clurey’s are bang on

Last edited:
You know, when I said that Port would fudge votes to get Jonad B&F to justify sole captaincy I was being cynical, but yeah it looks like they definitely fudged to get him to “equal 5th” and steal Clurey’s glory and they did it so badly they didn’t even fix the round-by-round

Total Port

Of the player totals I’ve checked manually they’re all right except for Westy and Jonad being bumped up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back