El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
c3cjZnC.png

Hello all, you've selected your locations and colours, use this thread to announce identities, post teasers, and anything else you like.

Your team is to be located within the boundaries of your selected location, however it doesn't have to be named exactly what is listed on the board. It could be named after the city itself, the state, the region, or even a prominent suburb. For example, the Hobart side could be "Hobart" or "Tasmania". Both Melbourne sides could be called "Melbourne", with different nicknames. Similarly, both Sydney sides could be called "Sydney", but the Western Sydney side can't be called "Sydney City", or "Bondi". If you're unsure, send me a message to ask.

Entrants will design 1 flag football uniform. That will consist of:

- A padless American Football style jersey
- Soccer/Basketball style shorts long shorts
- A visor style cap
- A custom logo to be used on the shorts and visor, and jersey if desired. No borrowed logos, the logo must be 100% your own work

Because of the low contact nature of the sport, no pads or helmets are worn. Because this competition is held on the sand, no shoes or socks will be worn.

Your jersey must be primarily the colour you select in the draft. You may choose any secondary colours you wish, and your visor and shorts may be a secondary colour as long as your jersey is primarily your selected colour. Again, if you're worried you haven't used enough of your primary colour, send me a message and ask. I'll have final say.

The style guide for this competitions is as follows. Please locate your logos, numbers and player name in these positions. You may add a team logo to your jersey if you wish, but it's not required. Your team logo must be something you've drawn yourself, and name and numbers can be any font or colour you choose provided they contrast well with the jersey colour.

iKCAr5m.png

Template:

I encourage people to come up with their own template for this comp. It is a bit of a weird combination, I don't think you're going to easily be able to find a Visor template, but that's part of the fun of the competition.

However, if you're stuck, you can use the style guide photoshop file as a base. Be aware though, it's pretty bare bones. It was only really put together for the style guide.

The Photoshop file for it is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4t1k0bzltgvdw9/Style guide.psd?dl=0

Competition Structure:

The 12 teams will be randomly split into 4 divisions of 3. You'll play each team in your division twice in the group stage, and the top 2 from each division will go through to the knockout stages. From there it will be a straight knockout until a winner is crowned.

Draft results:

1. Alex 3549 - Sydney City/Beaches - Orange
  2. _Damo_ - Adelaide - Red
  3. fancyscum - North QLD - Aqua
  4. WonderT - Canberra - Maroon
  5. Barrybran - Regional NSW - Pink
  6. caloschwaby - Melbourne South/East - Navy
  7. cannavo - Western Sydney - Black
  8. magpienato - Hobart - Yellow
  9. Fizzler - Melbourne North/West - Royal
  10. TY24 - Perth - Purple
  11. Freight Train - Brisbane - Green
  12. El Scorcho - Gold Coast - Light Blue

Due date for entries will be Sunday 11th August 2019, which is 3 and a half weeks away. If it looks like you can't get your entry in, please try to let me know early so I can try to replace you.

Just on the actual flag belt itself. A flag football belt looks like this:

There is a belt around the waist with a long piece of material attached at the hip, either using a pull-apart clip or velcro. I've played a bit of flag football and velcro was used when I played. Flag football is actually a really excellent social sport, I wish it was popular over here.

I'm not going to require that people include a flag belt in their designs, HOWEVER, i'm going to do so myself, and I fully encourage people to have a go. The only requirement is that the flags are a contrasting colour from your jersey and shorts. The belt colour doesn't matter.

Just on the actual flag belt itself. A flag football belt looks like this:

View attachment 711171

There is a belt around the waist with a long piece of material attached at the hip, either using a pull-apart clip or velcro. I've played a bit of flag football and velcro was used when I played. Flag football is actually a really excellent social sport, I wish it was popular over here.

I'm not going to require that people include a flag belt in their designs, HOWEVER, i'm going to do so myself, and I fully encourage people to have a go. The only requirement is that the flags are a contrasting colour from your jersey and shorts. The belt colour doesn't matter.
I remember playing it in P.E at school, was called OzTag or something like that, it was good fun but there was always that one campaigner who wrapped their tags around their belt so they wouldn't come off.

I remember playing it in P.E at school, was called OzTag or something like that, it was good fun but there was always that one campaigner who wrapped their tags around their belt so they wouldn't come off.

I played a bit of OzTag as well. OzTag is basically to Rugby League what Flag Football is to American Football. The "tackling" skills of ripping flags off are absolutely transferrable. When I played flag, the guys in my team who had played OzTag were clearly a cut above everyone else on the field at getting a hold of the flag.

Since we're on the topic...
Was fortunate enough to have one of the local gridiron teams (Croydon Rangers) organise a flag football comp a few years back. Was right when I was getting into NFL too. Myself and Calo were the eldest there so it was a heap of fun at the time.
Here's a clip of the unofficial 'TD of the tournament':

I didn't realise the other Melbourne team wore Navy when I picked Royal. My question is can my team just be called Melbourne [moniker]?
Yes, both sides can be called Melbourne if so desired.

Presenting the Gold Coast Pirates!

tpoPYnq.png

I've wanted to do a pirate ship logo for ages, so I was very happy with where the draft picks fell. I tried to avoid making it too much like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ship logo, but it's a bit unavoidable.

Presenting the Gold Coast Pirates!

tpoPYnq.png

I've wanted to do a pirate ship logo for ages, so I was very happy with where the draft picks fell. I tried to avoid making it too much like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ship logo, but it's a bit unavoidable.

Well it is certainly a Pirate ship. No doubt about that.

Seriously though, very nice.

This might make some of us look at working on new logos as well

Since we're on the topic...
Was fortunate enough to have one of the local gridiron teams (Croydon Rangers) organise a flag football comp a few years back. Was right when I was getting into NFL too. Myself and Calo were the eldest there so it was a heap of fun at the time.
Here's a clip of the unofficial 'TD of the tournament':

weird flex but ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CrestV4small.png

Introducing the Perth based entry for the Bondi Invitational, the Swan Valley Swans!
Rather than going for the usual city naming scheme, I've opted to base my side out of Perth's biggest wine region and one of the biggest tourist attractions in WA. Anyone who has visited the Valley will instantly recognise the familiar colour scheme, inspired by the purple tourist attraction signage throughout the Valley.

With this design, I've tried to put a modern twist on a traditional shield and monogram logo.

I'm pretty happy with how my design, the monogram in particular, has come together. Being a Valley local, I'm hoping my design does justice to this breathtaking part of Perth.

I already have 2 entries in for this one which is great! We still have almost 3 weeks until this one is due.

I specifically put this comp together with a strange uniform combo so that people would be required to think about templates a bit. Given the recent chat in the RCT thread, if anyone wants any template advice, feel free to post here or PM. I really encourage people to try to put together their own templates for a comp like this, even if they'd usually use an existing template. It's a really good learning experience to think about what you need a template to do, and how you're going to achieve that.

Just under 2 weeks to get your entries in for this one, I already have 4 completed entries. Keep them coming.

Just over a week to go with this one, keep those entries are trickling in.

Going really well here, I have 9 of the 12 entries in! We've still got 4 days to go, just waiting on Barrybran , alex 3549 and cannavo

No rush at all, you have until the end of Sunday but the comp will start early if I get all the entries early.

Thanks for the prompt work by all involved. Getting 75% of the entries more than 4 days out despite a fairly short turnaround time in a comp like this is pretty magical.

Thanks for the prompt work by all involved. Getting 75% of the entries more than 4 days out despite a fairly short turnaround time in a comp like this is pretty magical.
This is the first time since Year 8 that I haven't left something until the night before

Remove this Banner Ad

Back