Prediction 2019 Breakout Players

Remove this Banner Ad

On the topic of "who will be the run and carry player for Brisbane in 2019" it got me thinking about it who our breakout players will be in 2019. Given it is such a broad term, I have chosen two - one player who will Breakout in the sense of becoming best 22 and the second who I believe will have a big 2019 and be recognised as an elite player.

1: Cedric Cox

I think Cox will push his way into our best 22 in the early parts of 2019 and have a big impact with his elite ball use, run and carry and Newfound defensive pressure. I can really see him being taken under Hodgys wing and he will come in and provide us with some special moments.

2: Hugh McCluggage

It's funny choosing two third year players to breakout in 2019, but I genuinely think Hugh is one good preseason away from being an absolute midfield dynamo. His silky skills are already shining most weeks, but in 2019 he'll have 50 odd games under his belt, 3 pre seasons of fitness and development and will nail down a midfield spot and will be recognised as a genuinely elite AFL player.

Who do you think will break out in 2019?

Mitchel Hinge - Has been developing nicely in the seconds, has a hard edge to his game, good kick, good decision maker, ready body for playing seniors. I view him as Hodge's replacement. Was considered for debut last year however injuries at inopportune times prevented him from experiencing his moment.

Oscar McInerney - In my opinion will take his game to another level and become our number one ruck-man by season's end. His around the ground game has been improving and is ready to challenge Martin to be top dog in the center.

Clugga could regularly get himself 25+ disposals by just running off the hip of Lachie Neale at stoppages.
Neale is a high handball percentage midfielder. And if Clugga could just run off him he will have a massive year.
I agree with jackess, McStay will kick close to 40 goals if he kicks straight and Hippy to kick close to 50.

Tom Fullarton - really good mover off the ball and has an uncanny ability to find space on the lead. Probably won't get a sniff of senior footy, but think he can come on as a nice player

Starcevich - I really like the way he goes about things. Instinctive, clean, has good vision and football IQ. May be tough to find a spot for him in the starting 22 early in the year, but he think he will become a key part of our senior midfield rotation going forward.

McCluggage improved immensely this year and I'm expecting him to stay on that upwards trajectory next year. Going to be an absolute weapon in the near future.

Rayner will benefit from another preseason and should spend more time in the middle.

Last edited:
I’m really hoping Cedric comes along to be a consistent run and carry half back that we need. He is so exciting to watch with his pace already and if he can really up his defensive intangibles then I can see him getting games.

Looking at the more mature side of things, I’m really hoping McStay can take another step up this year. I’m a firm believer he can kick 40+ goals in a season if he can put together some consistency. We see a good quarter or two from him every game but I feel like if he puts together four quarters he will be a big threat.

I don't think we should expect much of Fullarton next season

Agreed. You'd absolutely love it if he was best 22 next year but in all likelihood it'll take him a few years to get to the required level/fitness.

It will be interesting to see how the young talls come on.

I think Payne will surprise a few and if injury free, be in the side come round 1, just a gut feel.

I think the whole midfield will surprise a few other teams. Even without Beams, once Lachie gets up to the way the midfield works, him working along with more mature and stronger, fitter Clugs and Berry, plus Rayner and Charlie running up front, this side will be hold to turn the tide on once it gets going as the season progresses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Skinner after all the bad luck just clicks next year

Cox has so much skill and speed just needs to take a breath and think things through hope he settles next year

starc, Lyon, Allison, Wooller all come on be great as well as McO and Ballenden

Be interesting we have a almost set starting 15-18 now so more pressure on spots not just gift games

Cedric is probably the one who could make the biggest difference if he can genuinely break out next year. Clugga and Rayner are probably next in line but have already shown how damaging they can be. It might be more of the same only better, with them. With Cedric though we have only seen brief flashes of what he can produce which could be the dangerous, quick-attacking nightmare for opposition coaches we have needed. He has a bit of work to do but the elements are there.

Bailey is another I think has much more development left in him, beyond just getting bigger, stronger and fitter. If he can develop how I would hope, he is two years from being one of the competition’s emerging stars. A bit more game sense and timing at AFL pace and he could be one of the bargains of his draft year.

I think our talls might still take a while but would hope that at least one of Ballenden, Payne, Skinner or Wooller can be a semi-regular first team player by season’s end.

I'm really hoping Beastmode can take his game to another level. I don't think that he will ever be 'elite', but think he can become an important cog in our team. Have a lot of man love for Matho. Probably wishful thinking (as I really don't rate him that highly) but would also love to see Benny Keys pushing the door down at the selection table. Think he is on his last chance, so hope he continues to work his butt off and put pressure on the best 22 to perform.

I'm really hoping Beastmode can take his game to another level. I don't think that he will ever be 'elite', but think he can become an important cog in our team. Have a lot of man love for Matho. Probably wishful thinking (as I really don't rate him that highly) but would also love to see Benny Keys pushing the door down at the selection table. Think he is on his last chance, so hope he continues to work his butt off and put pressure on the best 22 to perform.

I feel like he needs to solidly himself as a great contested ball winner and tackler or add something else to his game. He kicks a goal once every two or three games but I feel like he’s a bit one dimensional.

Cox for me is a concern and look, honestly I know it might not be anything but there was a passage of play in the final against Aspley were he had the ball on the HBF/Wing area and he was going through the motions and almost got run down from behind when he was metres in space. I know it's only one small thing but it just spoke volumes to me. I hope he does cement a spot and uses the strengths and learns to break the lines a bit more.

I feel like a kid in a candy store, so many to choose from. What will make us competitive and jump up the ladder is a group of players improve substantially together.
Neale will make a difference replacing Beams but it's more the effect he will have on players around him freeing up McCluggage and Zorko so they will lift.
Berry will continue his progression but he will take greater ownership of the team and he will have even more size.
Charlie Cameron will have a full season so he is a lift.
McStay even if he just sorts his kicking out will improve 20 goals and have increased pressure from below.
Christensen played some really good footy in the backline late in the season he will continue there or Cox will replace him
Rayner will play more midfield, just think of him and Berry bulldozing their way through then resting forward at times.
Hipwood will run riot, be it Adams or Andrews to play some forward time at take the top defender Hippy will be free and fast and bomb from long range.
Payne will show he is ready to fit into the backline and be a 'Rance' type player in another year.
Skinner will continue un-injured and like his debut will press McStay as a forward.
Mathieson with a bigger tank and Neale as a mentor will become important.
Witherden will mature and decrease his turnover trying to be too fancy, he is the Hodge replacement.
And......and...... Fullerton will show he is going to be a substantial forward in the Alister Lynch mode that can wrestle a good mark from basketball experience

By mid season we will be playing such exciting football we will have picked up over 5000 new members

Remove this Banner Ad

Back