Prediction 2019 Breakout Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
I remember Neale breaking the most disposals ever in a season in 2016 at 23 years of age without fyfe in teams so Neale got tagged
I remember turning to dad and saying this guys gonna win a brownlow before he retires
unfortunately it wont be at freo but im predicting lachie Neale to have a break out season

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the topic of "who will be the run and carry player for Brisbane in 2019" it got me thinking about it who our breakout players will be in 2019. Given it is such a broad term, I have chosen two - one player who will Breakout in the sense of becoming best 22 and the second who I believe will have a big 2019 and be recognised as an elite player.

1: Cedric Cox

I think Cox will push his way into our best 22 in the early parts of 2019 and have a big impact with his elite ball use, run and carry and Newfound defensive pressure. I can really see him being taken under Hodgys wing and he will come in and provide us with some special moments.

2: Hugh McCluggage

It's funny choosing two third year players to breakout in 2019, but I genuinely think Hugh is one good preseason away from being an absolute midfield dynamo. His silky skills are already shining most weeks, but in 2019 he'll have 50 odd games under his belt, 3 pre seasons of fitness and development and will nail down a midfield spot and will be recognised as a genuinely elite AFL player.

Who do you think will break out in 2019?
Great call on Cox.I believe it is crucial he fires next year as he offers qualities we desperately need, in skill,line breaking rebound,and versatility,especially in the back half.We are far too slow at present,and Cox,Cameron and Bailey will all hopefully hae great seasons.The other great asset would be Skinner.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great call on Cox.I believe it is crucial he fires next year as he offers qualities we desperately need, in skill,line breaking rebound,and versatility,especially in the back half.We are far too slow at present,and Cox,Cameron and Bailey will all hopefully hae great seasons.The other great asset would be Skinner.
Agree with all that, l reckon Payne will be better than Skinner personally. He just looks like the type to come in and play to a reasonably good standard straight away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry from two draft classes ago and Bailey from last year would be my two.

Both have great attributes and if they find consistency (more so Bailey), I think they'll certainly help propel move up the ladder.

Yep, these would be mine also.

Jul 22, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can't remember reading a thread and thinking - "yeah him" then next post "yeah him too" for a bloody long time - it's a nice change!

I'm with Dylan12 I have to say. As much as I want to see some of our lesser lights explode, guys like Berry and Bailey are crucial elements. I'm curious to see if we keep Berry in the run with role but if we do if he can add another 1 or 2 well timed possesions like he does now at critical points it'll be a huge upside for us.

Bailey running out of defense without fear like he does will be an added bounus if he can add some size and tank to his game... seeing him break lines will open us up in a big way.

The other 2 I'd like to see are Adams and McCarthy. If all of a sudden Taylor/Christensen and Hodge/Walker as some quick examples are under real pressure to keep their spots it means we are moving up... seeing that growth will be a great thing.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Starc. Big improvement over the course of '18. He was out of his depth early but seemed to look right at home towards the end of the season when he got his second chance in the ones. Something about him just says "class".

I’d really like to see Hippy have a breakout season, there’s some many similarities between him heading into this season and Harris last year.

All of us rated Harris going into last year, most non supporters knew him as a young talent but that’s about it. Started questioning if it was a case of rose coloured classes, Exceeded my expectations and nearly every non supporters by making the AA squad.

I see Hippy the same, rated internally but hasnt got that consistent league wide recognition yet. Last year is a great year to build off, 7 games with 3+ goals including the 6goal effort. Straightening his kicking up, and minimize the goalless games, people will start to view him along side Curnow as one of the premier developing forward talents.

Some many other talents that could possibly breakout, just think Hipwood along side McStay could have the biggest potential impact on our side

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really want to see Lyons take his game to the next level. Get's a heap of it at NEAFL level from all reports and I can see a spot for him in our midfield. Might be battling with Beast a little bit as I can only see one of them in the 22.

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hippy to kick 40+, Bailey to excel with Clug and Witho to start cracking into elite territory on the back of a Brownlow contention year from Neale. McStay to start kicking 2 a game would be handy.

Back