Prediction 2019 Breakout Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the current regular 22 it has to be Mcstay, some improvements in leading and conversion will have a direct result on the scoreboard.
For us to make the next big step as a team though it needs to be the fringe players ..... Cox, Allison need to show something otherwise new players can go past them, Starc and Bailey need to find a regular spot to continue developing even if the position isn't where they will play long term.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really want to see Cox click and become a part of the 22. He has shown some potential to run off the half back and that effortless speedhe could really become a linebreaking gameshifter. He needs to lift to the senior pace and maintain.

I'm also really keen to see Skinner just get some consistency, let alone have a breakout season. I'm still nursing a semi from that no nonsense front on tackle he dished out to Schofield (10 second mark in that vid if the link didn't work right), for someone who hasn't played much senior footy thanks to injury to have that level of read on the game straight away... man I can't wait to see him get some consistent footy going on.

Third one for me has to be Beast. If he can shake the stigma of constantly drawing the head high tackle that would be for the best, I do feel a bit weird when I see a high tackle awarded to the guy and he gets up with a bit of a smug look on his face. But he has the agro to get in and under for the hard ball get which is handy. If he can tidy up his foot disposals and get rid of the panic floaty kick that will be great to see.

Cox, corey lyons, keays, skinner, allison, and maybe a cpl of others will have more of a break in season than a break out one. I hope to see them become regular on the bench, and if being named an emergency is reward for effort in the neafl i hope to see them named regular. These young blokes need to make themselves the next one in the pecking order should form or injury see them called up.

I think if matho has put in the extra this off season like last year he will hold his 16 games for the year and be able to contribute far more. Id consider this a breakout for him, considering the players brought in. It will cement his spot in that inside mid rotation with, neale, lyons, berry.

Bundy could have a breakout season if he adapts to a running half back role well. His defense may take some time to become second nature but the linking run he could provide is exciting. Can also swing fwd n kick a few goals.

I think the whole team will have a breakout year. They will realize as a group that if they have a real go, not only can they compete, they are a better than good chance of winning. i think we will see a much more confident mindset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my guesses - hope a few of them come off: Allison, McInerney, McStay, Eagles. Smokey is Starcevich.

• Allison has all the tools but mainly like that he is big and a runner. Love those types. Same reason I've put Starcevich down.
  • Really like what McInerney has shown so far and Fagan has had so much positive to say about him. Could argue he has already broken out but I think there is a lot more to come.
  • Think McStay is maturing and he will take a great leap forward. Think he'll play out of the square more and kick 40.
  • Eagles brings a bit of an X-factor to the defence, love his attitude and aggression (not to mention his story).
  • Would say Cutler but I think late last season he already did break out.

I'm quite excited about our list especially those who will have been on our list now for 5/4/3 yrs. I'm not expecting massive gains from the likes of Cutler, McStay, Gardiner and Taylor but they're definitely entering into their prime years so there shouldn't be anything holding them back. Andrews is Andrews and if he can add intercept marking he will be an AA. Hipwood WILL become a man in the next couple of years and you will see that natural development with his body like we did with Andrews. Most excited about these three in Berry, McCluggage and Witherden, another pre-season, learning more about the game and their confidence levels increasing as well. I'm already rating Berry as 'the one' (healthy man crush) who will really lead us forward. Rayner has the potential to be 'scary good' but just want to see more development in him and some more midfield time, Bailey suprised me at the back end of the season and personally thought Starcevich was lucky to get some games at the back end of the season but those games will be invaluable for him. That's around 12 players I've listed and that's half of our game day team. I don't believe in breakout players as we have a group that will break out. Bring on 2019.

A guy that hasn't been mentioned a lot in this context but might have a breakout (or rather a breakin) year, particularly given his brother has come onboard, is Corey Lyons. The club obviously thinks he has some potential. Probably in the same mould as his brother in that he doesn't have pace or is overtly skilfull but can win the ball. Would like to see him get a chance at the next level sometime this year.

A guy that hasn't been mentioned a lot in this context but might have a breakout (or rather a breakin) year, particularly given his brother has come onboard, is Corey Lyons. The club obviously thinks he has some potential. Probably in the same mould as his brother in that he doesn't have pace or is overtly skilfull but can win the ball. Would like to see him get a chance at the next level sometime this year.

Unfortunately, his brother has taken the spot he was in line for.

Mathieson (Afl Fantasy Av 85+), Adams (Bulldogs supporters will be scratching their heads), McCarthy (Best I50 tackles 30+ Goals), Neale (Brownlow), Berry ( Best 22 under 22 Side & 12+ Brownlow votes), McCluggage (Best 22 under 22 Side & 12+ Brownlow votes) Charlie Cameron (will win 2 games for us with bags of 5+, kick 40+ Goals)
Reports/Fines 2019: Mathieson, Rough Conduct/Jumper punching/High Contact? Robinson, Rough Conduct? Rayner, Rough Conduct/Striking/High Contact? Hodge, Striking/High Contact/Rough Contact/Tripping? Robertson High Contact/Striking/Contact with an Umpire?

Goal after the siren to win a game: Zorko

Coach of the Year: Fagan

Still on the Cox and McStay bandwagon and very happy to hear good news on Cox’s preseason thus far. He has potential to light it up and break lines from the back line. Cox doing that with Bailey on the wing could be very entertaining.

McStay entering the perfect time in his career. He’s body is good, strong fella, started putting things together in the second half of last year. Also improved his goal kicking. Look out for him to surprise a few this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Witherden is being groomed for Midfield work. If both can develop I can see Cox and Bailey running off the back flanks, Ainswerth taking Witherdens role now but more emphasise on defensive shutdown. Rich/Hodge will be retired. Andrews Adams and Gardiner as the key talls with great flexibility to take any type of forward. Assuming of course that everyone stays and improves... which is highly unlikely but still we can be optimistic here.

Still on the Cox and McStay bandwagon and very happy to hear good news on Cox’s preseason thus far. He has potential to light it up and break lines from the back line. Cox doing that with Bailey on the wing could be very entertaining.

McStay entering the perfect time in his career. He’s body is good, strong fella, started putting things together in the second half of last year. Also improved his goal kicking. Look out for him to surprise a few this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Where did we get this info on Cox?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back