Prediction 2019 Breakout Players

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Could you post the link? Couldn't see any article's about Cox.
Keep an eye on Cox
Last pre-season it was Hugh McCluggage turning heads and this time it's fellow 2016 draftee Cedric Cox. The third-year utility has struggled for a regular senior spot in his two seasons but hit the ground running this pre-season, noticeably fitter, faster and stronger. Brisbane is begging for a running defender to add to its mix and the highly skilled West Australian has done everything possible so far to impress the coaching staff. - Michael Whiting
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-08/wheres-your-club-at

inaralover

Senior List
May 6, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, we're winning the pre-season.
The pre-season premiership is ours. Bookmark it.;)

Yep, based on the pre-season, it sure looks like we're going to win the premiership. Within the next 30 minutes, Antony Green should be confirming that.

Last edited:

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the topic of "who will be the run and carry player for Brisbane in 2019" it got me thinking about it who our breakout players will be in 2019. Given it is such a broad term, I have chosen two - one player who will Breakout in the sense of becoming best 22 and the second who I believe will have a big 2019 and be recognised as an elite player.

1: Cedric Cox

I think Cox will push his way into our best 22 in the early parts of 2019 and have a big impact with his elite ball use, run and carry and Newfound defensive pressure. I can really see him being taken under Hodgys wing and he will come in and provide us with some special moments.

2: Hugh McCluggage

It's funny choosing two third year players to breakout in 2019, but I genuinely think Hugh is one good preseason away from being an absolute midfield dynamo. His silky skills are already shining most weeks, but in 2019 he'll have 50 odd games under his belt, 3 pre seasons of fitness and development and will nail down a midfield spot and will be recognised as a genuinely elite AFL player.

Who do you think will break out in 2019?
This is one of the best posts on the board.Its imaginative and reasoned,and I agree with it !Its a waste of time picking best 22 now. There is much blood to go under the bridge,before that is in any way more than a guess,and an uneducated one at that.There is a queue of contenders lining up,many are better footballers than the incumbents.The team we need to have out there by mid season,hopefully is very different to what finished 2018.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
It would be fantastic if these Terry Wallace predictions came true, we like you now Wallet.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/11/the-young-player-who-could-make-a-quantum-leap-wallace/

Australian football Hall of Famer Terry Wallace is bullish about a group of young Brisbane Lions.

Wallace feels swingman Daniel McStay has the potential to become a household name.

“I still think Daniel McStay has got a big quantum leap jump that he could potentially make,” Wallace told SEN Evenings.

He’s also confident with a full season, defender Harris Andrews can become an elite defender.

“I think Harris Andrews can be All-Australian,” he said.

Wallace is most excited about key forward Eric Hipwood however.

“You look at Eric Hipwood who is just an excitement machine, but hasn’t put all the parts of the jigsaw together yet,” he said.

“The speed that he’s got is elite in this competition, let alone being 200cm. If he can get it right, that would be a big step to Brisbane making the jump.”

JakePeralta

Senior List
Mar 24, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It would be fantastic if these Terry Wallace predictions came true, we like you now Wallet.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/11/the-young-player-who-could-make-a-quantum-leap-wallace/

Australian football Hall of Famer Terry Wallace is bullish about a group of young Brisbane Lions.

Wallace feels swingman Daniel McStay has the potential to become a household name.

“I still think Daniel McStay has got a big quantum leap jump that he could potentially make,” Wallace told SEN Evenings.

He’s also confident with a full season, defender Harris Andrews can become an elite defender.

“I think Harris Andrews can be All-Australian,” he said.

Wallace is most excited about key forward Eric Hipwood however.

“You look at Eric Hipwood who is just an excitement machine, but hasn’t put all the parts of the jigsaw together yet,” he said.

“The speed that he’s got is elite in this competition, let alone being 200cm. If he can get it right, that would be a big step to Brisbane making the jump.”
Really going out on a limb with his Harris Andrew prediction there...

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Big call for Wallace there as that may be the first ever time I've heard him say a positive about us.

My pick for a breakout is Allison, I really like his McStay call though.

Back