Universal Love 2019 Brownlow thread: kicks off 7.30pm, count 8.20pm.

Who will win Chas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umpires get a lot of help with their Brownlow votes. The votes these days are very uncontroversial.
There used to be some howlers in the old days. Not any more.

In that case, what did you think of an ineligible Patrick Dangerfield finishing three votes behind Dustin Martin in 2017?

In round 22 that year we beat Collingwood at the MCG. Dangerfield was already ineligible for the medal but he had 32 possessions and scored 2 goals.

He was named BOG by every media outlet.

"But with Patrick Dangerfield piecing together another brilliant best-on-ground display, Geelong flexed its muscles to win by 11 points, running out 10.10 (70) to 9.5 (59) victors," said the AFL website.

Dangerfield got a perfect 10 votes in the AFLCA award in that game.

Here are the Brownlow votes from that game.

3: Duncan
2: Menegola
1. Adams

Now the fact Dangerfield was ineligible is irrelevant.

It was clear as day that the umpires were worried about the 'optics' of him potentially polling the most votes, or tying with Martin (which he would have done if the 3 votes were awarded).

The only other explanation is that the umpires didn't deem him to be in the best 3 players on the field - despite Nathan Buckley, Chris Scott and every media outlet deeming him BOG.

"Uncontroversial" votes? I don't think so...

In that case, what did you think of an ineligible Patrick Dangerfield finishing three votes behind Dustin Martin in 2017?

In round 22 that year we beat Collingwood at the MCG. Dangerfield was already ineligible for the medal but he had 32 possessions and scored 2 goals.
He was named BOG by every media outlet.
My theory behind that is the AFL probably know the scores and tamper with the votes to avoid the distasteful scenario of an ineligible player polling the most votes and detracting from the winner. The 1996 and 1997 Brownlows were definitely marred by Corey McKernan and Chris Grant missing out due to harsh technical suspensions.

A similar thing happened in 2014 when Matt Priddis trailed an ineligible Nat Fyfe by 1 vote heading into the final round. Priddis grabbed a surprise 2 votes to snatch the lead away from Fyfe and we avoided having controversial headlines - all the focus rightfully went onto Priddis.

It just furthers what I'm saying that the Brownlow is no longer random umpy votes like in the old days. The whole thing is much more stage-managed with the "right players" receiving most of the votes. (I'm sure people within the AFL make a little money on the side by having friends ITK placing a few bets, which is why there is always a late plunge on the winner)

Round 23 2014 - Gold Coast v West Coast

Brownlow votes: 3 Kennedy, 2 Priddis, 1 Lycett

Coaches votes:
10 Josh Kennedy (WCE)
7 Chris Masten (WCE)
4 Mark LeCras (WCE)
3 Luke Shuey (WCE)
2 Scott Lycett (WCE)
2 Jack Martin (GC)
2 Nick Naitanui (WCE)

Last edited:
The coaches already had their award and their leaderboard looked pretty similar to the Brownlow. Not a lot of appreciation for the full backs or full forwards.

It's just the way it is. Midfielders are always involved in the game. It's harder to appreciate the performances of the best defenders and forwards when they don't see as much action in every quarter. e.g. Alex Rance was clearly BOG in the 2017 Grand Final when the game was there to be won, but he didn't have much to do in the second half, so he was stiffed in the Norm Smith Medal voting.

Very similar to Scarlett in the 2007 Grand Final. The bigger the margin got the less likely he was going to win but I'm still convinced he was just as good as Johnson or Chapman that day.

It was clear as day that the umpires were worried about the 'optics' of him potentially polling the most votes, or tying with Martin (which he would have done if the 3 votes were awarded).

The only other explanation is that the umpires didn't deem him to be in the best 3 players on the field - despite Nathan Buckley, Chris Scott and every media outlet deeming him BOG.

"Uncontroversial" votes? I don't think so...

True. But that occurs every year. You could find examples from every team.

I still vividly remember Paul Couch NOT getting 3 votes in the final round of 1989. He only had 41 touches and kicked 3 goals. It happens.

It also happens the other way. All superstar midfielders now get votes in games they do not deserve. We don't mind that though.

My theory behind that is the AFL probably know the scores and tamper with the votes to avoid the distasteful scenario of an ineligible player polling the most votes and detracting from the winner. The 1996 and 1997 Brownlows were definitely marred by Corey McKernan and Chris Grant missing out due to harsh technical suspensions.

A similar thing happened in 2014 when Matt Priddis trailed an ineligible Nat Fyfe by 1 vote heading into the final round. Priddis grabbed a surprise 2 votes to snatch the lead away from Fyfe and we avoided having controversial headlines - all the focus rightfully went onto Priddis.

It just furthers what I'm saying that the Brownlow is no longer random umpy votes like in the old days. The whole thing is much more stage-managed with the "right players" receiving most of the votes. (I'm sure people within the AFL make a little money on the side by having friends ITK placing a few bets, which is why there is always a late plunge on the winner)

Round 23 2014 - Gold Coast v West Coast

Brownlow votes: 3 Kennedy, 2 Priddis, 1 Lycett

Coaches votes:
10 Josh Kennedy (WCE)
7 Chris Masten (WCE)
4 Mark LeCras (WCE)
3 Luke Shuey (WCE)
2 Scott Lycett (WCE)
2 Jack Martin (GC)
2 Nick Naitanui (WCE)
Just checked footywire stats on that game. You are def onto something.

1) Why was Jimmy's Ex doing there ?
2) Why she still got the Bartel name ?
3) Thought they split up?

Asking the big questions here.

answering in order

1) employed by channel 7 to run the red carpet & gownlow coverage

2) seems it's more of a social media/easy thing, because there's reports she never officially changed her name to Bartel & officially is still Nadia Coppolino

3) yep, they split up

answering in order

1) employed by channel 7 to run the red carpet & gownlow coverage

2) seems it's more of a social media/easy thing, because there's reports she never officially changed her name to Bartel & officially is still Nadia Coppolino

3) yep, they split up

3 votes to you :moustache: .

Just checked footywire stats on that game. You are def onto something.
Yep. Priddis was an inside accumulator, not a player that would hurt you with 27 disposals. He deservedly got votes for his many 35-40 possession games, but those Round 23 votes he got were on the nose.

He still would’ve won though. Same with Dusty in 2017. The AFL were just managing the “optics”

I thought Danger would win a close count this year with Fyfe, Neale, Cripps and Grundy not far behind. But I can’t fault the winner. Fully deserving IMO. Unlike Danger, Fyfe didn’t have any quiet games. Very consistent over the whole season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gazz played some match winning games.
Vs north at home he was BOG.

Imo he played a few too many games he needed a rest.
Agree - I'd like to see him signed on a 1-year contract, but for reduced money & reduced games.

I know he'd want to play as many games as possible, but surely 15 games at a higher standard compared with 20+ games with the standard dropping off, is better for both player & the team

Agree - I'd like to see him signed on a 1-year contract, but for reduced money & reduced games.

I know he'd want to play as many games as possible, but surely 15 games at a higher standard compared with 20+ games with the standard dropping off, is better for both player & the team

We need a few more options in the small forward roles.
Hopfully cocky and Fog can be options for us.

Gazz played some match winning games.
Vs north at home he was BOG.

Imo he played a few too many games he needed a rest.
I agree. He was good in the first half of the year when he was fresher, but by the end of the season he was cooked. That has to do with his age IMO. If he does play on then he shouldn't play every game so if we do make finals again he can actually make a contribution. All interstate games for a start should off the table. I wouldn't even play him in the VFL when he isn't playing, keep him cherry ripe for the whole year.

Makes it easier next year anyone over 30 is not required until after the bye should give them a good 6 mth european holiday

Makes it easier next year anyone over 30 is not required until after the bye should give them a good 6 mth european holiday
Does that include Danger who turns 30 on 5 April?

And who is our FF as Hawkins is already 31?

What you're Mum up too ?
Free for preseason and a full time job though Autumn to the the end of September :moustache: .

Bit OT but my mum admitted to me last night when smr kicked his first hundred she bought a "happy 100th birthday" card and crossed it out to say goals and sent it to Snr.

I pissed myself laughing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back