Universal Love 2019 Brownlow thread: kicks off 7.30pm, count 8.20pm.

Who will win Chas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't claim to have seen all of his games. Does that preclude me from having an opinion? I commented on the games I *did* see that I feel he received excessive votes for. At no point did I express irritation about his votes tally in games I *didn't* see.

I do watch a lot of footy though so I did see a fair amount of Freo this season.

He's good, yeah.

Not as purely entertaining to watch as Danger or Dusty or Franklin or Bontempelli, but yes, he is good.

What, just because he's a great player? No he doesn't. He would deserve multiple Brownlows if he had legitimately been the best player in the comp in two separate years. Which he hasn't.
Fyfe polled nearly half his team's votes, somewhat of a one- man team.
Of course you have an opinion, we all do, but many of us rarely watch Freo, so when Fyfe polls well, it comes across as if some are surprised.
He was my preseason Brownlow tip 18 and 19.
Seems like we are all forgetting this is the umpires' votes, and they have to be obsessed by the playmakers. This year's count certainly reflects the best players in the comp all featuring.

Last dress pic! 3, 2, 1

3 votes:
227f15f9a4ab0f81b243e1d1d7cb2a55

2 votes:
bbc519697190055e78e3db44fe25b18c

And 1:
8fab3130c2ecbc2fc77e15d550be0ca2

Unlucky/hon mention: Hawkins, Britt.

Better luck next year: Sherri-Lee Biggs, the dom.

These are the rounds Fyfe polled in & match result:

R1: 3 votes, W - 141 def 59, 32 disposals & 1 goal
R2: 2 votes, L - 58 def by 61, 31 disposals & 0 goals (btw, Sexton with 17 disposals, 4 goals & 5 behinds received no votes)
R6: 3 votes, W - 88 def 69, 30 disposals & 1 goal
R7: 3 votes, L - 34 def by 51, 32 disposals & 0 goals
R8: 3 votes, L - 86 def 111, 33 disposals & 3 goals
R10: 3 votes, W - 73 def 72, 26 disposals & 1 goal
R11: 3 votes, W - 79 def 75, 32 disposals & 0 goals
R13: 2 votes, W - 100 def 79, 37 disposals & 0 goals
R14: 1 vote, L - 71 def by 85, 31 disposals & 0 goals (Max Gawn, disposals, 1 goal & 46 hitouts = 0 votes)
R15: 1 vote, L - 75 def by 79, 29 disposals & 1 goal
R17: 3 votes, L - 53 def by 84, 24 disposals & 3 goals
R20: 3 votes, W - 95 def 61, 27 disposals & 2 goals
R21: 3 votes, L - 69 def by 72, 35 disposals & 2 goals

That's 16 votes across 7 matches which Freo lost - I know that the BOG isn't always from a winning team, but to have 4 BOG's in a losing team just seems like a bit too much umpire love
Impressive stats nevertheless in those losses.
GAJ somehow won a GC Brownlow in a season with less wins than Freo had, don't think we had issues about that.

R1: 3 votes, W - 141 def 59, 32 disposals & 1 goal
R2: 2 votes, L - 58 def by 61, 31 disposals & 0 goals (btw, Sexton with 17 disposals, 4 goals & 5 behinds received no votes)
R6: 3 votes, W - 88 def 69, 30 disposals & 1 goal
R7: 3 votes, L - 34 def by 51, 32 disposals & 0 goals
R8: 3 votes, L - 86 def 111, 33 disposals & 3 goals
R10: 3 votes, W - 73 def 72, 26 disposals & 1 goal
R11: 3 votes, W - 79 def 75, 32 disposals & 0 goals
R13: 2 votes, W - 100 def 79, 37 disposals & 0 goals
R14: 1 vote, L - 71 def by 85, 31 disposals & 0 goals (Max Gawn, disposals, 1 goal & 46 hitouts = 0 votes)
R15: 1 vote, L - 75 def by 79, 29 disposals & 1 goal
R17: 3 votes, L - 53 def by 84, 24 disposals & 3 goals
R20: 3 votes, W - 95 def 61, 27 disposals & 2 goals
R21: 3 votes, L - 69 def by 72, 35 disposals & 2 goals

That's 16 votes across 7 matches which Freo lost - I know that the BOG isn't always from a winning team, but to have 4 BOG's in a losing team just seems like a bit too much umpire love

Was thinking same until I looked at your stats. It's not as though they got whomped in their losses. Without knowing who they played I guess that's just the way the cards fall when the other team doesn't have a standout. Only got done by a goal re Melbs, rucks don't poll.
He's got that champion physique and face every mother loves, and umpires must be drawn too, along with the skills and demeanour.
Freaking golden boy.

What, just because he's a great player? No he doesn't. He would deserve multiple Brownlows if he had legitimately been the best player in the comp in two separate years. Which he hasn't.

The brownlow system is jank but he was legitimately the best player in two separate years, it just wasn't in 2019 it was in 2014/15.

Was thinking same until I looked at your stats. It's not as though they got whomped in their losses. Without knowing who they played I guess that's just the way the cards fall when the other team doesn't have a standout. Only got done by a goal re Melbs, rucks don't poll.
He's got that champion physique and face every mother loves, and umpires must be drawn too, along with the skills and demeanour.
Freaking golden boy.

I've updated my post to add the opponent in brackets :thumbsu:

Should have thought of that earlier - but if I'm reading it right, he didn't poll votes against the same team twice this year

Geelong leaderboard

2. Patrick Dangerfield — 27

5. Tim Kelly — 24

24. Gary Ablett* — 13

32. Mitch Duncan — 11

70. Tom Hawkins — 5

104. Joel Selwood, Tom Stewart — 3

128. Brandan Parfitt — 2

156. Cameron Guthrie, Gary Rohan — 1

The brownlow system is jank but he was legitimately the best player in two separate years, it just wasn't in 2019 it was in 2014/15.

I'm happy to grant that that's closer to the truth than what Vdubs was saying. IMO didn't deserve it in this year but you have a fair case for 2014.

2014 was a weird one because GAJ was so far ahead of everyone else before he did his shoulder that it would have been a one horse race had he played out the season.

R1: 3 votes, W - 141 def 59 (North), 32 disposals & 1 goal
R2: 2 votes, L - 58 def by 61 (Suns), 31 disposals & 0 goals (btw, Sexton with 17 disposals, 4 goals & 5 behinds received no votes)
R6: 3 votes, W - 88 def 69 (Bulldogs), 30 disposals & 1 goal
R7: 3 votes, L - 34 def by 51 (Crows), 32 disposals & 0 goals
R8: 3 votes, L - 86 def 111 (Tigers), 33 disposals & 3 goals
R10: 3 votes, W - 73 def 72 (Lions), 26 disposals & 1 goal
R11: 3 votes, W - 79 def 75 (Magpies), 32 disposals & 0 goals
R13: 2 votes, W - 100 def 79 (Power), 37 disposals & 0 goals
R14: 1 vote, L - 71 def by 85 (Demons), 31 disposals & 0 goals (Max Gawn, disposals, 1 goal & 46 hitouts = 0 votes)
R15: 1 vote, L - 75 def by 79 (Blues), 29 disposals & 1 goal
R17: 3 votes, L - 53 def by 84 (Hawks), 24 disposals & 3 goals
R20: 3 votes, W - 95 def 61 (Cats), 27 disposals & 2 goals
R21: 3 votes, L - 69 def by 72 (Saints), 35 disposals & 2 goals

Hmmm. One or two look a bit suss v Suns, Hawks, but I guess when you're disposing that many times right under the umpires long noses.....
Oh well, what do we do, no combined Duncan, Ablett, Kelly, Danger, to pull votes off each other and we're Freo.

I personally think the Umps are not immune to the athleticism of a well kicked goal from a mid.
Sooner they bring in Danny's legacy of the golden fist the better.
Trust fish-Gil to put it on the back burner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm. One or two look a bit suss v Suns, Hawks, but I guess when you're disposing that many times right under the umpires long noses.....
Oh well, what do we do, no combined Duncan, Ablett, Kelly, Danger, to pull votes off each other and we're Freo.

That hawks game (if it was the one in Tassie) he absolutely deserved 3 votes, stats don't do that game justice, he was brilliant.

That hawks game (if it was the one in Tassie) he absolutely deserved 3 votes, stats don't do that game justice, he was brilliant.

Fair enough, zoned out of their games. Pretty sure he wasn't expecting early bags of votes though.
I read his lips, and he said - I thought I'd only get one.

Besides, can always pick holes in the votes, whoever wins.
Umps are just froggy mystery bags.

Strip the umpires of the Brownlow vote responsibilities. The votes should be awarded by the opposing coaches (only able to award votes to the opposition players) or ex player experts sitting in commentary positions who can appreciate the role of a full back or a full forward. Umpires are probably the worst people to be charged with this responsibility.

How can anyone support Cripps but not Fyfe? they polled the exact same way, dominate players in a poor teams who don't have anyone to take votes off them.

Yeah I'm a bit nonplussed by the angst. People forgot how good he was in 2015. He's every bit as good as anyone in the competition, and without looking at any stats I thought was BOG against us late in the season. Worthy winner.

Lol Fyfe three votes for a 24 possession game in a five goal loss. Never change AFL.
How ******* rigged is that, Freo get pumped yet he gets 3 votes, what horses**t
This is bulls**t. They lost by 5 goals!! Corrupt!! Check umps betting accounts
Lose by 5 goals get 3 votes yeah sure okay umpires

Fyfe single-handedly kept Freo in the game in Round 17 vs Hawthorn
The Hawks won by 31pts and others might've got more possessions, but Fyfe was a class above every player on the ground.

From memory, I had to mute the volume because Dwayne Russell & the other commentators were crapping on about him so much.
Worpel got 10 coaches votes (Fyfe got 8) but I didn't he didn't think stood out that day like Fyfe did.

Champion Data:
154 Nat Fyfe - 24 disposals, 16 contested, 3 goals
126 Ricky Henderson - 25 disposals, 654 metres gained
111 Shaun Burgoyne - 17 disposals, 9 contested
109 James Worpel - 33 disposals, 15 contested, 580 metres
105 Bradley Hill - 37 disposals, 553 metres
102 Ben McEvoy - 13 disposals, 38 hitouts
100 Mitch Lewis - 16 disposals, 3 goals
_99 Luke Breust - 12 disposals, 3 goals
_93 Jaeger O'Meara - 23 disposals, 14 contested

Fyfe's best not enough to stop Hawks' Tassie triumph

In a scrappy affair, the Hawks shot out to an early lead before being reeled in by the Dockers
Fremantle desperately needed to find a way to drag itself back into the contest following a disappointing opening quarter when it went goalless.

Of course, it was superstar Nat Fyfe that broke the streak, midway through the second.
That had seemed unlikely just minutes earlier after he left the field with a right shoulder complaint

Fyfe wasn't going to let his side's finals hopes slip away that easily though.

Returning soon enough sporting strapping, the skipper put the team on his back, his overhead marking proving influential.
The skipper bagged three goals for the term, including this magnificent effort in congestion.

Last edited:
Strip the umpires of the Brownlow vote responsibilities
It's nothing to do with the umpires. It's the 3-2-1 scoring system for 198 games.

Some games aren't worth giving many votes for, but you have to give 3 to somebody.
Other games, you'd like to give 3 votes to 4 players they were all so good, but you can't.

Umpires get a lot of help with their Brownlow votes. The votes these days are very uncontroversial.
There used to be some howlers in the old days. Not any more.

The votes should be awarded by the opposing coaches (only able to award votes to the opposition players) or ex player experts sitting in commentary positions who can appreciate the role of a full back or a full forward. Umpires are probably the worst people to be charged with this responsibility.
The coaches already had their award and their leaderboard looked pretty similar to the Brownlow. Not a lot of appreciation for the full backs or full forwards.

It's just the way it is. Midfielders are always involved in the game. It's harder to appreciate the performances of the best defenders and forwards when they don't see as much action in every quarter. e.g. Alex Rance was clearly BOG in the 2017 Grand Final when the game was there to be won, but he didn't have much to do in the second half, so he was stiffed in the Norm Smith Medal voting.

AFLCA Champion Player of the Year Award
1. Marcus Bontempelli (107)
2. Patrick Dangerfield (90)
3. Nat Fyfe (88)
4. Tim Kelly (86)
5. Patrick Cripps (82)
5. Brodie Grundy (82)
5. Lachie Neale (82)
8. Luke Shuey (76)
9. Jack Macrae (75)
10. Josh Dunkley (72)
11. Ben Cunnington (71)