Universal Love 2019 'Carji' Greeves Medal - tonight

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Not unhappy that Kelly did not win. They should have given him the "Best Clubman Award" Yes I know he gave us a good year ..but the type of loyalty shown is....PP

AWOL

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Well done Danger, even though it seems the majority of your team mates are clueless.... For 2 years running...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-29/danger-snubbed-again-for-mvp-nomination-five-aas-miss-out

I suspect that Dangerfield might have removed himself from selection as a conflict of interest due to being president of AFLPA. It’s the only explanation for how he was not nominated. Even if he happened to be not well liked he is clearly one of, if not the most valuable player at the club.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I suspect that Dangerfield might have removed himself from selection as a conflict of interest due to being president of AFLPA. It’s the only explanation for how he was not nominated. Even if he happened to be not well liked he is clearly one of, if not the most valuable player at the club.
How is it a conflict of interest? The nominations and voting are done by fellow AFL players. His vote holds no additional power due to his position.

That could make sense - he wasn't nominated last year either, and he was appointed/elected AFLPA President in March of last year

Danger replaced Pavlich as president with his tenure being 3 years - 2015, 16 & 17. I know Pav retired after 2016, but he wasn't nominated by Freo teammates in either 15 or 16

So maybe there's a quiet agreement that as president you don't put your name forward or withdraw yourself from the MVP

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
That could make sense - he wasn't nominated last year either, and he was appointed/elected AFLPA President in March of last year

Danger replaced Pavlich as president with his tenure being 3 years - 2015, 16 & 17. I know Pav retired after 2016, but he wasn't nominated by Freo teammates in either 15 or 16

So maybe there's a quiet agreement that as president you don't put your name forward or withdraw yourself from the MVP
And that would make complete sense.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes snubbed by teammates as a MVP nominee. I think he rubs some of them the wrong way. FIGJAM I think. That’s why I think we won’t win a flag while paddy is there unfortunately . Of course I hope I’m wrong and he becomes like Martin and wins a cup!

Nah he's probably the most loved team-mate.
He likes the funny side of football, so some in the media/other fans might think he's a bit of a flog (sook about robotic players, then sook about players with personality. Can't win) but his team-mates love him.

Nah he's probably the most loved team-mate.
He likes the funny side of football, so some in the media/other fans might think he's a bit of a flog (sook about robotic players, then sook about players with personality. Can't win) but his team-mates love him.
Strange how he wasn’t in MVP calculations then.

Strange how he wasn’t in MVP calculations then.
Who was the last AFLPA President to be nominated for the award?

As suggested above, maybe he felt a conflict of interest and didn't make himself available for club nomination

As suggested above, maybe he felt a conflict of interest and didn't make himself available for club nomination

Hmm interesting theory.

Got any proof or just your opinion?
I would look more into it if I could more easily find previous years nominations

I looked into it a bit last night after AWOL initially made the suggestion and best I can find is that Danger hasn't been nominated during his tenure as president, and Pavlich wasn't nominated either during his 3 year tenure

Doesn't seem to be any official rule in place (at least not publically), but potentially an unspoken agreement.

Back