Strategy 2019: Changes You Would Like

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to see Ah Chee cement a spot. I really liked his physicality in that Port game and adding another big rig around the contest can't hurt.
WCE Reserves playing some curtain raisers.
Brander dominating WAFL.
A young mid winning the Sandover
Venables, Rioli and Ryan kicking 75+ between them
JK Coleman again.
75 from the 3? If Rioli and Ryan have a full season they may get their 25 but Venables won't get close, especially with extra mid minutes

Older players to get rested more often particularly when we travel. Lecca, JK, Jetta are the players that should be looked after most.

Sheed to work on his tackling

Masten to be pushed out of the side, i know he is a premiership player now but we can improve on him for next year hopefully.

Find a good replacement for Sammy Mitchell. Van Berlo strikes me as a very good coach but we probably need one more.

The alignment team to be a success would be great also.
Think I heard Sammy's replacement would come from within the Club, whatever that's supposed to mean? Think Van Berlo next year will be both stoppages and midfield coach.

Players areas to improve:

Sheed - Defensive efforts, following his man through congestion when he isn't going to get the ball and actually doing something to make his opponent feel like he'll be under pressure. We can't let them walk it out of stoppages without Naitanui there. His offensive form is hopefully a continuation of the finals, he keeps handballing like he has, doesn't back into tacklers and accept a tackle meekly, uses the ball by foot when he's out in the open but doesn't panic and kick it around the corner.

Duggan - Practice with the forwards, running full pace, kicking across the body and getting his ball drop right. Not throwing it too far out from his body with no control. He needs to have the ability to pull up on a long kick at the last minute as well to take pace off the ball, a lot of his problems show themselves when he's at full pace. He can't always be kicking 3 metres in the clear. I love his courage to use his opposite and his trajectory and timing is good when everything is in a straight line, some serious ball drop work to do. Also practice goal kicking if he's to push into the midfield.

Cole - Nothing to see here, if he is to push up into the middle it's more of a structural thing he'll have to learn. Has good composure and is a well rounded player.

Venables - Positioning and fitness, skill is no issue, neither is courage. Has got to figure out how to get himself involved on a regular basis, even as a HFF he should be getting 12 touches a game or thereabouts at a minimum, especially with time through the middle.

Waterman - Ball drop. He's not going to replace Lecras with the way he drops the ball, it's all well and good him taking a mark to relieve pressure but it's what he does afterwards that's a key part of playing the high wingman type of role. His agility isn't great but that sort of comes with being a bit taller, has slow acceleration but good top speed.

Ainsworth - Ball drop as well. Not AFL standard, doesn't hold up under pressure. So much to like about him, production, handballing, movement at stoppages, courage etc. However we can't be a team that expects a turnover and has to work twice as hard to correct it just because he gets the ball. He's young enough to change and I hope he does. This is a player that could push out the older guys if it wasn't for his ball use. He could run like Masten/Lecras, mark like them, agile enough to pressure defenders, but Masten and Lecras are better ball users.

There are players who get you to finals and there are players who win you finals and they are not always the same people. We have been around finals for a while and have won one of the best.We are now looking hyperthetically at trying to win more. History says there will be changes. Finals pressure can bring out the best or worst in people.Dom Sheed a classic case.During the season he was getting caught a lot and taking the wrong option.In the GF he just grabbed the ball and banged it on the boot.No time to look,no time to do anything but move it forward.The style of footy suited his game.JD in the first half looked slow and half hearted in his attack on the ball.Langdon was having a picnic.If you cant outleap somebody surely you go to plan B and try to outbody them? Nup! Come Q3 and the game was opening up and he got a better run at the ball he was terrific.Then the dropped mark...If we had lost the game you blokes would be qeued up to man the guillotine!You cant just go out and manufacture a player of his size and ability but looking to the future Brander and Allen are both very talented and great marks.Doesnt mean they'll stand up to finals pressure but change is inevitable.We must keep ahead of the pack.

LeCras to retire. Great service to the club.
Would like to see us offer Zac Clarke a minimum contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You dont phase out guns like kennedy.

Lecca, masten, schoey etc. These guys you phase out as their role can be filled with a younger player.

Phasing out isn't the right term.

Planning and developing their replacements is better.

JK won' play 22 games nor will Leca.

Next season I am hoping for Oscar to come in and all but cement his spot. Brander to play 10-15 games and Waterman to lock in his position as a HFF / wing / bench rotation forward.

Hamish to debut and play 10 games.

Ainsworth 10-15 games as well as Petro.

Really want to see Matty Allen given a shot.

A lot of young talent hungry for a game.

Building from the finals, our structure will probably stay similar but with some personnel changes. We need to prioritise development and improve our depth getting 2 to 4 youngsters to be at a B+ level

Wingers - Gaff and Masten to be replaced by 2 of Cole-Waterman-Venables and hopefully we get Kelly
- saw enough of Waterman at colts plus his first 8 weeks this year to say he can play it. He was out of fuel in the last 2 months like most second year players
- Cole can play midfield and would like to see him given more license to roam
- Venables needs to be played in position where he can rack up the numbers
- Rotham to be prioritised at WAFL on the wing. He had speed, overhead marking and elite kicking when we drafted him and he does not feel like a KPD

Inside Midfield - Shuey Yeo and Redden are a great start and Hutch for tagging
- Sheed showed in finals that when everyone is limited in time to think, then he can intellectually compete. He needs to learn to tackle and stop telling the ball holder to slow it down. Maybe not great at centre bouncer but good at at other stoppages
- Rioli to be a starter at centre bounces as he reads it do well
- High hopes with the development of Brayshaw and Ainsworth

Ruck
Vardy plus whoever we add in trade. Warming to the Lobb idea

Developing young talls
- Oscar and Jarrod development a priority
- See how they go over summer but happy to have Brander at CHB in WAFL
- I think Oscar will be playing 10 AFL games and will get a Rising Star

West Coast in conjunction with other interstate teams should demand compensation for travelling teams playing the GF at the MCG as the higher ranked team. Now is the time to push for some changes because it won’t seem like sour grapes.

In the short term, clearly the GF will continue at the MCG. However, there should be compensation and there are probably a number of ways to tackle this, for instance, I would favour an interstate team which loses its GF hosting rights is compensated with a home final the next time it plays that team in the finals as the lower ranked team. For example, the next time WCE plays COLL in a final and COLL are ranked higher, the game would be played at Optus.

In the long term, WCE should push for a proper resolution such as best of 3 GF series. I expect all interstate clubs would support a proposal that delivers a fairer outcome for traveling teams.

West Coast in conjunction with other interstate teams should demand compensation for travelling teams playing the GF at the MCG as the higher ranked team. Now is the time to push for some changes because it won’t seem like sour grapes.

In the short term, clearly the GF will continue at the MCG. However, there should be compensation and there are probably a number of ways to tackle this, for instance, I would favour an interstate team which loses its GF hosting rights is compensated with a home final the next time it plays that team in the finals as the lower ranked team. For example, the next time WCE plays COLL in a final and COLL are ranked higher, the game would be played at Optus.

In the long term, WCE should push for a proper resolution such as best of 3 GF series. I expect all interstate clubs would support a proposal that delivers a fairer outcome for traveling teams.
Very against the best of 3 Grand Final series. Long term they should rip up the grand final contract.

That is also very outlandish to steal a final a year or 3 years later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back