2019 Co-Captains: Kennedy, Parker and Rampe

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
As posted in the media thread.

First time we've had three captains since 2010, I guess they want to take the pressure off Kennedy.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
As posted in the media thread.

First time we've had three captains since 2010, I guess they want to take the pressure off Kennedy.

What Pressure ? Blokes have been stand alone captains since the game was first played. Herald Sun Article Quotes Kennedy as saying his first reaction was " What Have I been Doing wrong " Then he says he realises it is more about what Rampe and Parker have done over the last couple of the years. No doubting their deeds or their standing but It is a croc of s**t decision by the club and behind the scenes Kennedy probably is really thinking WTF ??????? And Rampe's quote of
" I'm emotionally intelligent " WTF does that mean and what does it mean in regard to him being a captain of an AFL Club ??? This current era of AFL clubs and their leadership bullshit is over the top. You need 1 Captain, 2 Vice Captains and 3 Deputy Vice Captains to make a leadership group. That's it. Papley ???? Is he a certainty to be best 22 every week based on his output in 2018 ? Also Every Club is guilty of it but some of the tripe that is pedalled out in quotes by Longmire and Co in articles about decisions at the Club are nauseating.
Emotionally Intelligent ??? Give me a Spell. o_O

Artygunner

Team Captain
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
What Pressure ? Blokes have been stand alone captains since the game was first played. Herald Sun Article Quotes Kennedy as saying his first reaction was " What Have I been Doing wrong " Then he says he realises it is more about what Rampe and Parker have done over the last couple of the years. No doubting their deeds or their standing but It is a croc of s**t decision by the club and behind the scenes Kennedy probably is really thinking WTF ??????? And Rampe's quote of
" I'm emotionally intelligent " WTF does that mean and what does it mean in regard to him being a captain of an AFL Club ??? This current era of AFL clubs and their leadership bullshit is over the top. You need 1 Captain, 2 Vice Captains and 3 Deputy Vice Captains to make a leadership group. That's it. Papley ???? Is he a certainty to be best 22 every week based on his output in 2018 ? Also Every Club is guilty of it but some of the tripe that is pedalled out in quotes by Longmire and Co in articles about decisions at the Club are nauseating.
Emotionally Intelligent ??? Give me a Spell. o_O
Lol emotionally intelligent is exactly what your post isn’t :)

Artygunner

Team Captain
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If the post is not emotionally intelligent do tell why and clarify what emotionally intelligent is because as far as I'm concerned it is a pathetic as it sounds. In fact it sounds as soft as some of today's generation are.

emotional intelligence
noun
  1. the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.
    "emotional intelligence is the key to both personal and professional success"

takeheed

Senior List
May 28, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
If the post is not emotionally intelligent do tell why and clarify what emotionally intelligent is because as far as I'm concerned it is a pathetic as it sounds. In fact it sounds as soft as some of today's generation are.
Perhaps it was a subtle suggestion that current leadership was lacking it? Probably correct too and JK doesn’t seem to be a deep thinker kind of guy.

Single captain was an experiment that didn’t go aswell as they hoped. Josh is a great leader but they wouldn’t feel the need to change if they haven’t acknowledged that it could be improved / was needing fixing.

Good move I reckon but should of stayed with co captains 2 years ago.

Lol emotionally intelligent is exactly what your post isn’t :)

The delivery is a bit toys-out-of-the-pram but I think Wolfgang's on the money with regards to leadership and stuff being over-complicated these days.

But I can also appreciate that there are 17 other clubs who are also selecting their captain and leadership groups and believing those that they've selected are the ones who are capable of taking them to the promised land. But in reality, only one captain and one leadership group achieves that every year, and it's up to the remaining 17 clubs to figure out how they can get better. So for us if that means trying something different, switching things up a little without losing what JPK brings as captain, then I'm glad we're doing it. Better than some clubs, who allow the same blokes to have the same gig year after year despite no sign of actual growth or progression.

Some feel-good stories here.

Sir Dane the obvious one. Far from idyllic journey to get onto an AFL list but boy has he thrived. Even now when some of us suspect he may be below his best, there's that lingering doubt saying, but is he really? because he just can't play a bad game. But who knows, this may be the shot of confidence he needs to get back to being his arrogant, daring best.

Clearly the loveable little s**t of a small forward that us supporters see is actually a quality bloke to be around at the club. Mills and Heeney too at only 21 and 22 respectively to be in the leadership group says a lot about where our club is going. I imagine JPK, Parker and Sir Dane becoming captains, even if a few might not be at their peaks, is a sign that this young group will need mature, battle-hardened leaders who have walked the walk. I think as much as it's about rewarding these warriors of our club for their contributions over the years, it's also about making sure this young list we're putting faith in has the necessary leaders around them so they're not carrying too much weight. (see: Cripps at Carlton, Bontempelli at Bulldogs)

Also why would Buddy be captain? The guy's not keen on public speaking, moved to Sydney partly to get away from the spotlight, and probably trained less than most of the Swans on the list this year. As great as he is, you want someone who can represent the club publicly like it's second nature, plus someone who can lead by example on the training track. Through no fault of his own, Bud just doesn't fit that description.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Some feel-good stories here.

Sir Dane the obvious one. Far from idyllic journey to get onto an AFL list but boy has he thrived. Even now when some of us suspect he may be below his best, there's that lingering doubt saying, but is he really? because he just can't play a bad game. But who knows, this may be the shot of confidence he needs to get back to being his arrogant, daring best.

Clearly the loveable little s**t of a small forward that us supporters see is actually a quality bloke to be around at the club. Mills and Heeney too at only 21 and 22 respectively to be in the leadership group says a lot about where our club is going. I imagine JPK, Parker and Sir Dane becoming captains, even if a few might not be at their peaks, is a sign that this young group will need mature, battle-hardened leaders who have walked the walk. I think as much as it's about rewarding these warriors of our club for their contributions over the years, it's also about making sure this young list we're putting faith in has the necessary leaders around them so they're not carrying too much weight. (see: Cripps at Carlton, Bontempelli at Bulldogs)

Also why would Buddy be captain? The guy's not keen on public speaking, moved to Sydney partly to get away from the spotlight, and probably trained less than most of the Swans on the list this year. As great as he is, you want someone who can represent the club publicly like it's second nature, plus someone who can lead by example on the training track. Through no fault of his own, Bud just doesn't fit that description.
Great captains win games off their own boot. Elocution doesn't help when we are three goals down with ten minutes go. Buddy should be captain because his brilliance does all the talking.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
May be as much as Kennedy having a young child and sharing the role commitments, particular off field / media etc.

I don’t mind the move, worked for us in the past.
That is precisely the worry. Longmire is still coaching the 2012 Grand Final. This is a step back to the past.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
That is precisely the worry. Longmire is still coaching the 2012 Grand Final. This is a step back to the past.

I am struggling to see how it is any way a worry.

We had two captains in 2012 by the way... 2005-2010 we had three.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
behind the scenes Kennedy probably is really thinking WTF ???????

If this makes him have a better output then in season 2018, then it's a good thing that he is thinking "WTF".

We've won jack s**t with stand alone captains & vice captains over the last 80 years. We've never had a more successful era than these last 15 or so years since we've had the co captains. Stick to a winning recipe I say. I'm not sure why Macca was dumped as captain when JPK came in. He should have stayed on with JPK & the smooth transition would have continued the way it has since we started it under Roos after Stewy Maxfield retired prematurely.

We are a big club & we need to be represented off field for a number of corporate duties going forward these next few years with the development of the sporting precinct near by so JPK, Rampe & Parker will be called upon quite regularly to face the media.

As for how it was done "back in the day", I didn't like those days for my club so the further we are away from any of the s**t that went on then, then the happier I will be as a supporter.

Everyone is entitled to feel differently of course & neither way is wrong.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Great captains win games off their own boot. Elocution doesn't help when we are three goals down with ten minutes go. Buddy should be captain because his brilliance does all the talking.
Unfortunately he is not automatically leadership material just because of his on field brilliance Connolly. That only goes for 2 hours on game day.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-after-rose-bay-car-crash-20140423-374o5.html

Oops! Let's try again.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/52c06679571eedd68304b84b3bcfce94

Buddy Franklin has come a long way off field but he is very busy worrying about other things & wouldn't cope with the burden of being an official leader IMO.

Back