Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Give Kennedy a couple of years then flick him

Paps in the leadership group and imo not as commented as some others think

He hasn’t been flicked. He has two friends as Co-captains that were previously vice captain. Maybe the club thought they weren’t ready to join Kennedy in this capacity two years ago and needed more development.

Don’t the players vote on the leadership group?

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
I am struggling to see how it is any way a worry.

We had two captains in 2012 by the way... 2005-2010 we had three.
Sorry I didn't express very well what I was trying to say. Longmire is still employing the same game plan and approach that won him a Grand Final. With diminishing returns as the game changes around him. The three captains (by the way a contradiction in terms, as a definition of a captain is always singular - have we ever heard 'the captains went down with the ship?) approach is symptomatic of Longmire's obvious belief that what worked almost a decade ago will work now. It wont in terms of his coaching. I am saying this is symptomatic of a deeper malaise. My experience with management strategies such as emotional intelligence management is that they are gimmicks and fads, which once the novelty wears off, are useless in improving performance.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The delivery is a bit toys-out-of-the-pram but I think Wolfgang's on the money with regards to leadership and stuff being over-complicated these days.

But I can also appreciate that there are 17 other clubs who are also selecting their captain and leadership groups and believing those that they've selected are the ones who are capable of taking them to the promised land. But in reality, only one captain and one leadership group achieves that every year, and it's up to the remaining 17 clubs to figure out how they can get better. So for us if that means trying something different, switching things up a little without losing what JPK brings as captain, then I'm glad we're doing it. Better than some clubs, who allow the same blokes to have the same gig year after year despite no sign of actual growth or progression.
Appointing two more captains (there is no such thing as a "co" captain by definition) during the tenure of a captain is a terrible look. Diminishes the bloke's leadership whatever the BS spin merchants say.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Unfortunately he is not automatically leadership material just because of his on field brilliance Connolly. That only goes for 2 hours on game day.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-after-rose-bay-car-crash-20140423-374o5.html

Oops! Let's try again.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/52c06679571eedd68304b84b3bcfce94

Buddy Franklin has come a long way off field but he is very busy worrying about other things & wouldn't cope with the burden of being an official leader IMO.
In the age of football PR departments the public obligations are less burdensome. I thought we had vice captains for that - as in 'next in rank to, and typically denoting capacity to deputize for.' and perhaps in the other sense as well. Yes I know that's so old hat. I will have a lie down soon.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Nothing should surprise you about any decision under this current football department. Oh ! And for those that think everything is rosy at that club ? You are wrong. Don't question it though Punts because Hey ! We are Emotionally Intelligent !!!!

Anyone that thinks that everything is rosy at any football club all the time is flawed in their thinking. Hawthorn Football Club is a prime example where ther are many clashes with key personnel that run things off field. This I know from a fellow who knows Kennett. He stirs the pot & Clarko & others, including players, don't like him at all but he looks after the club first.
Contrary to what many here think, I've for one have never said that everything at our club has always been rosy & that everyone loves each other. But what I will stand up for is the ability of our club to sort stuff out with often unpopular decisions. Bringing Buddy to our club I know caused much heartache at the time, because many were left out of the discussions & decision. I couldn't care if that rubbed some noses out of joint because it's been a great move both off field & on field though it's brought us some unwanted issues as a side effect. ROK for one may have been bothered by his recruitment. Tough t***ies!

Word is from my sources that Hanners didn't like the heavy hitting from Harley & neither do a few others. What? Hanners thinks it's OK to being one of our high earners yet have two consecutive under par seasons & not be questioned or grilled?

If Harley is ruffling some feathers then so be it. We chased him so now let's use him. Hard decisions need to be made in the off season, not mid season. Utilise all your assets while they are on the payroll & remove anything/one that is not producing for the club in a positive way, if & when their contract allows.
A past recruiting or contract error can't be fixed (Bradshaw, Tippett) so it's a waste of time moaning about it but fruitful to move forward when a club can & that is in the off season.

All I can see here is that we haven't liked the output from some key players & the head honchos that do the list & contracts have done some heavy hitting & some of our group haven't liked it.

That's exactly the stuff I want to see from my club at season's end when the time is right. Not mid year when some supporters are calling for people's heads when the season is still on the line & where it will only cause turmoil. Leave that to the Old Dark Maybe Lose! That's their forte.
Just my opinion of course.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone that thinks that everything is rosy at any football club all the time is flawed in their thinking. Hawthorn Football Club is a prime example where ther are many clashes with key personnel that run things off field. This I know from a fellow who knows Kennett. He stirs the pot & Clarko & others, including players, don't like him at all but he looks after the club first.
Contrary to what many here think, I've for one have never said that everything at our club has always been rosy & that everyone loves each other. But what I will stand up for is the ability of our club to sort stuff out with often unpopular decisions. Bringing Buddy to our club I know caused much heartache at the time, because many were left out of the discussions & decision. I couldn't care if that rubbed some noses out of joint because it's been a great move both off field & on field though it's brought us some unwanted issues as a side effect. ROK for one may have been bothered by his recruitment. Tough t***ies!

Word is from my sources that Hanners didn't like the heavy hitting from Harley & neither do a few others. What? Hanners thinks it's OK to being one of our high earners yet have two consecutive under par seasons & not be questioned or grilled?

If Harley is ruffling some feathers then so be it. We chased him so now let's use him. Hard decisions need to be made in the off season, not mid season. Utilise all your assets while they are on the payroll & remove anything/one that is not producing for the club in a positive way, if & when their contract allows.
A past recruiting or contract error can't be fixed (Bradshaw, Tippett) so it's a waste of time moaning about it but fruitful to move forward when a club can & that is in the off season.

All I can see here is that we haven't liked the output from some key players & the head honchos that do the list & contracts have done some heavy hitting & some of our group haven't liked it.

That's exactly the stuff I want to see from my club at season's end when the time is right. Not mid year when some supporters are calling for people's heads when the season is still on the line & where it will only cause turmoil. Leave that to the Old Dark Maybe Lose! That's their forte.
Just my opinion of course.

You make some good points here Ted and may have broadened my thinking a tad but what has shocked Me surprise surprise ! Mase Likes your post !!! A Totally historical moment for this Board !!!

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
You make some good points here Ted and may have broadened my thinking a tad but what has shocked Me surprise surprise ! Mase Likes your post !!! A Totally historical moment for this Board !!!

And your point? I like lots of posts.

Why exactly are you calling out my name??

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

I think it's time the "like" button was removed from BF so that people don't get offended.
Mase is a very fair poster that will never attack another poster & that is very admirable. He seems to have a similar view of the club that I do & hence it is why I often like his posts.

I'll have a look through some of your stuff & like a few for you too WW.:)

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I don’t blab my mouth and say I have contacts at every club unlike yourself which most are wrong or don’t come about like the trade period calls from your sources
Is that right?
Not every club.
Just Hawthorn because I have a business in the area & Swans because I can't help people wanting to tell me stuff knowing I'm a Swan supporter. Nature of the business I guess.
Tell about the bit where you "don't blab your mouth". You get your stuff somewhere like I do. Some of your stuff is wrong & the rest is no where near it.

Is that right?
Not every club.
Just Hawthorn because I have a business in the area & Swans because I can't help people wanting to tell me stuff knowing I'm a Swan supporter. Nature of the business I guess.
Tell about the bit where you "don't blab your mouth". You get your stuff somewhere like I do. Some of your stuff is wrong & the rest is no where near it.
Heard it all from you

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it's time the "like" button was removed from BF so that people don't get offended.
Mase is a very fair poster that will never attack another poster & that is very admirable. He seems to have a similar view of the club that I do & hence it is why I often like his posts.

I'll have a look through some of your stuff & like a few for you too WW.:)

Gee Thanks Ted but unfortunately I don't think there are too many that will take your fancy.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Gee Thanks Ted but unfortunately I don't think there are too many that will take your fancy.

We can't all agree all of the time & I try to explain why I may agree or not but I would like to think I respect everyone's opinion on here & am more than happy to be pulled up if I don't.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
What Pressure ? Blokes have been stand alone captains since the game was first played. Herald Sun Article Quotes Kennedy as saying his first reaction was " What Have I been Doing wrong " Then he says he realises it is more about what Rampe and Parker have done over the last couple of the years. No doubting their deeds or their standing but It is a croc of s**t decision by the club and behind the scenes Kennedy probably is really thinking WTF ??????? And Rampe's quote of
" I'm emotionally intelligent " WTF does that mean and what does it mean in regard to him being a captain of an AFL Club ??? This current era of AFL clubs and their leadership bullshit is over the top. You need 1 Captain, 2 Vice Captains and 3 Deputy Vice Captains to make a leadership group. That's it. Papley ???? Is he a certainty to be best 22 every week based on his output in 2018 ? Also Every Club is guilty of it but some of the tripe that is pedalled out in quotes by Longmire and Co in articles about decisions at the Club are nauseating.
Emotionally Intelligent ??? Give me a Spell. o_O

Ok. For a start this is about the transition of the captaincy to the next generation. Joey is getting on a bit at 31 in the next season and the club has to plan for the future. This is one way of doing this. The three captain move did not go wrong in 2005 or 2012. so I'm not worried about it.

As for joey being miffed. I think that's a bit rich. He was the first solo captain we have had in at least 10 year so he should feel privilaged not miffed. I think that is the way he feels. He knows his career is not going to last forever and that transition is important to a footy club.

Three captains give you more balance in that one will captain the mids, one the forwards and one the backs in games. Kennedy and Parker would interchange. All three have good footy brains. All three lead by example. I think this is rewarding the efforts of loyal and high end talent.

There is much more to leadership of a footy club today than there was in the past. Leaders are expected to lead on-field, off-field, make statements to the press, organise players, listen to player problems, respond to player doubts about many issues including coaching. They are expected to be the medium between the coaches and players. It is not like it used to be and the responsibility is huge. In the old days the captain basically captained the side onfield and might have control of some training drills. He encouraged the other players but that was the end of it.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
The delivery is a bit toys-out-of-the-pram but I think Wolfgang's on the money with regards to leadership and stuff being over-complicated these days.

But I can also appreciate that there are 17 other clubs who are also selecting their captain and leadership groups and believing those that they've selected are the ones who are capable of taking them to the promised land. But in reality, only one captain and one leadership group achieves that every year, and it's up to the remaining 17 clubs to figure out how they can get better. So for us if that means trying something different, switching things up a little without losing what JPK brings as captain, then I'm glad we're doing it. Better than some clubs, who allow the same blokes to have the same gig year after year despite no sign of actual growth or progression.

Saints and Geary come to mind.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Everyone loves Kennedy but he got made captain and we went 0-6 and his personal form dropped quite a lot over the last two years. Not the worst idea.
I agree. I raised these concerns about Kennedy some time back so I'm glad the captaincy has been shared. It's a big load, especiallly with a lot of new players coming in. We've turned over half out team in the last few years and blooded some 18 or so new players. All require guidance and leadership. I'm looking forward to JPK doing what he does best.

Papley, Mills, Heeney represent the demographic of the playing list where a huge number of players are not yet 24. This is a new generation coming through and these three will be the bridge to the older players. This young list is brimming with talent and will set us up for our next period of league domination if we get it right. Leadership has never been so important.

Last edited:
Back