Analysis 2019 Coleman Watch - Can Tommy Hawkins snag it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see anyone beating Cameron unless he gets injured. He's already had 20 more scoring shots than Hawkins, but his accuracy has been poor. Getting that many shots though, some weeks it will click and he will kick some big bags - enough to stay on the top of the leaderboard imo. A bit like Franklin; poor conversion, but just gets that many shots he is bound to kick a few.

I hope I'm wrong - I'd love to see the big fella win a much deserved Coleman. As others have already mentioned though, his unselfishness will work against him.

Not sure Hawkins generates enough scoring shots to exceed his usual 45-65 goal range. He’s remarkably consistent and the best of the competitions KPFs in general play, but a day out for Hawk tends to be a 4 goal haul and 2 or 3 goal assists, whereas a big game for Kennedy et al involves less impact in general play but greater direct scoreboard impact.

When was the last time a forward won a Norm Smith?

Id say goals play an important part..whether they are classified as fwd or not.. bartel ,chapman , johnson .. Hawkins , if he was kicking as he is kicking now ..would have won it in 2011.. Obviously being on the winning side helps.
Hawk at his best... and against GC was close... he was a couple of grubber posts etc from 5 or 6 ... doing that on the big stage he is more likely to be reward on a one game basis than over the season.

Rioli, Chapman, Johnson...all mid/forward types. Not sure who the last genuine/tall forward was though. Still think it should have been 2011.
To be fair, I can't think of any tall (or, at least, spearhead) forward who deserved it since Ablett Sr in 89. Hawkins would have if he'd kicked straight, or played like that all game and not just the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he needs support and we need to find which option works best.
Otherwise he's going to be double teamed against the better teams as in previous years.
Cameron has the luxury of other talls who take pressure off and allow him unmarked or one on one more often.
Tom always thrives in supported situations whether it's Fort, Sav, Abbott, Smith or Buzza he needs that decoy to maximize his output.
It's really a case of no Hawkins no Geelong he's that important.

Can't see anyone beating Cameron unless he gets injured. He's already had 20 more scoring shots than Hawkins, but his accuracy has been poor. Getting that many shots though, some weeks it will click and he will kick some big bags - enough to stay on the top of the leaderboard imo. A bit like Franklin; poor conversion, but just gets that many shots he is bound to kick a few.

I hope I'm wrong - I'd love to see the big fella win a much deserved Coleman. As others have already mentioned though, his unselfishness will work against him.

Difference between Cameron and Hawkins is Hawkins looks for a teammate when he's 60m out, whereas Cameron looks at the goals.

Difference between Cameron and Hawkins is Hawkins looks for a teammate when he's 60m out, whereas Cameron looks at the goals.

Spot on! Which is exactly why Cameron will win the Coleman imo.

Interesting to note that, while Cameron has kicked 6 more goals, Hawkins has 8 more goal assists which pretty well backs up what we're saying.

Cameron: 33 goals; 5 goal assists (3 of which came on the weekend against Melbourne - he had 2 this time last week)
Hawkins: 27 goals; 13 goal assists (only one match (round 1) where he hasn't had at least 1)

He can definitely snag it particularly if he keeps kicking 4 per game as he has the last 2 weeks.
Bigger question is does he want it - seems to relish goal assists as much as kicking them himself.
Tom epitomises our team first ethic , he may well win the Coleman as a by product of that but it won't be a specific focus IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back