Qatar

Group C

Uruguay
Ecuador
Japan
Chile

Starts 14th June

Last edited:
Would have been good to have it. I understand it's harder these days with club commitments, games over in europe before the cup itself etc. But nonetheless I did it enjoy it. Particularly in 06 at the MCG vs Greece. What an occasion that was where we drew over 90,000 spectators. Last time against Bafana Bafana we drew over 50,000 spectators in Sydney. Over 55k attended in 2010 vs New Zealand.

Anyway I wanted us to play a home fixture. Brings back memories in 2006 where after Greece we played Liechenstein and won 3-1 and before that I believe was the 1-1 draw with Holland in Holland. God bless Timmy Cahill.

BVM decided that preparation was better served by running a training camp and having a couple of friendlies in Europe. I disagree with that sentiment - there should always be a pre WC send off match in Australia IMO.

BVM decided that preparation was better served by running a training camp and having a couple of friendlies in Europe. I disagree with that sentiment - there should always be a pre WC send off match in Australia IMO.
Yeah I'm not a fan of this dutch campaigner. I know he got Holland to a world cup final in 2010. They also shat the bed at the euro but they were in the group of death. After Guus we should have left it at that. Don't get me started on Verbeek.

Yeah I'm not a fan of this dutch campaigner. I know he got Holland to a world cup final in 2010. They also shat the bed at the euro but they were in the group of death. After Guus we should have left it at that. Don't get me started on Verbeek.

Post WC we should have been into Arsene Wenger IMO. International management suits him because it's not as full on at his age and player recruitment is not part of it either.

How did Belarus manage to get into Group D? All other nations in D are absolutely s**t. They should walk it.
Poor results. Then again, with most Euro teams in the top 70, it was always going to be tough.

And I think Azerbaijan, Macedonia, and Latvia will be competitive.
Macedonia & Kazahkstan might give them a test
Kazakhstan... nah. They jave been constantly one of the worst teams in UEFA. Maybe the lower ranked competition will make them perform better.

But their record, even when compared to the bottom ranked minnows, is very poor. (For the record, they are 3rd seeds in League D. Luxembourg is ranked higher.)

I expect them to be a distant third in their group.

Macedonia & Kazahkstan might give them a test
I think Georgia will be competitive too. They didn't really get thrashed in the WC qualifiers and they managed draws with Ireland, Austria (away) and Wales (also away). It still feels weird that Latvia qualified for the Euros in 2004 and were actually half-decent.

Poor results. Then again, with most Euro teams in the top 70, it was always going to be tough.

And I think Azerbaijan, Macedonia, and Latvia will be competitive.

Kazakhstan... nah. They jave been constantly one of the worst teams in UEFA. Maybe the lower ranked competition will make them perform better.

But their record, even when compared to the bottom ranked minnows, is very poor. (For the record, they are 3rd seeds in League D. Luxembourg is ranked higher.)

I expect them to be a distant third in their group.
I always found it bizarre that they made the move to UEFA from AFC. I guess it was because it allowed Astana to compete in the CL (which they have done) but, if they are any chance of a WC or continental tournament appearance, they'd be better off in the AFC. Hard to rate where they'd actually be if they were in AFC. Qatar level or a little higher than them even?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Georgia will be competitive too. They didn't really get thrashed in the WC qualifiers and they managed draws with Ireland, Austria (away) and Wales (also away). It still feels weird that Latvia qualified for the Euros in 2004 and were actually half-decent.

I always found it bizarre that they made the move to UEFA from AFC. I guess it was because it allowed Astana to compete in the CL (which they have done) but, if they are any chance of a WC or continental tournament appearance, they'd be better off in the AFC. Hard to rate where they'd actually be if they were in AFC. Qatar level or a little higher than them even?

It was all about that CL money! Kazahstan would become far superior to their neighbours.

Of course, not only were Kazahstan not able to qualify for a World Cup, they have been a bottom muncher of UEFA. That takes some serious doing. They have been closer to Luxembourg and Liechtenstein then they have to Scotland.

I think they were just below Uzbekistan (These guys are bigger chokers than Egypt. How many times do they get to the playoffs, or close to it, and just choke like mad? They have proven in the Asian Cup that they can be good, but my god, when push comes to shove, they blow it.

As for where Kazahstan would be if they were AFC... oof. Say what you will about Qatar, but they can be alright, but they can be dire as well, like North Korea. Yeah, I'd have them on that tier. Either they won't make the final round, or they will, but will finish bottom.

It's a bit harsh that someone from each League A group will get relegated to League B.

Not really. Got to keep it fresh. It would get boring pretty quickly otherwise. It's also allows teams to have a formline and have their standing mean something. (Don't forget that a B team will be given a Euro/WC spot.)

It was all about that CL money! Kazahstan would become far superior to their neighbours.

Of course, not only were Kazahstan not able to qualify for a World Cup, they have been a bottom muncher of UEFA. That takes some serious doing. They have been closer to Luxembourg and Liechtenstein then they have to Scotland.

I think they were just below Uzbekistan (These guys are bigger chokers than Egypt. How many times do they get to the playoffs, or close to it, and just choke like mad? They have proven in the Asian Cup that they can be good, but my god, when push comes to shove, they blow it.

As for where Kazahstan would be if they were AFC... oof. Say what you will about Qatar, but they can be alright, but they can be dire as well, like North Korea. Yeah, I'd have them on that tier. Either they won't make the final round, or they will, but will finish bottom.

Not really. Got to keep it fresh. It would get boring pretty quickly otherwise. It's also allows teams to have a formline and have their standing mean something. (Don't forget that a B team will be given a Euro/WC spot.)
I know but they could have worst 2 teams go down instead of 2.

I still have NFI how this tournament works though, even from reading wiki...

Another question - why are Kazakhstan in Europe and not Asia? Israel I understand, but They aren't even close to Europe.

I know but they could have worst 2 teams go down instead of 2.

I still have NFI how this tournament works though, even from reading wiki...

Let's not forget that they are 4 groups of 3 (Hmm, groups of three... where have I seen that before?) One to play finals, one to remain in the League, and one to go down to League B.

Well... let's start with the relegation bit.

6 games, Home and Away, all played over three months. Bottom placed team is goneski.

I'll admit, there is a lot going on between Euro/WC seedings and League Winners and all that.

Is this a real trophy teams will try to win or just new branding for qualifiers?
It was originally friendlies but now it's a long-winded qualification tournament for the Euros.

I think we'll see a rebirth of Italian football. Under Mancini I think they'll do quite well and probably start this campaign with wins against Poland and away to Portugal. Will get at least a draw with the Selecao.

Ronaldo against his team mates and Serie A counterparts would be immaculate.

Germany vs France September 7

Huge day in Sport

NFL Opener Falcons at Eagles

Friday night AFL Qualifying Final should be Richmond

Already 3 champion teams playing right there. NFL, AFL and World Cup. Should be a US open tennis big game on too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back