2019 Debate #1: Scott Morrison vs Bill Shorten (7two/Seven)

Remove this Banner Ad

So explain the huge spike in numbers pre-polling? It's significant enough for the AEC to publically comment in a departure from past elections.

Did laugh at "tear nonsense apart". Your last sentence indicates you may be a little too sensitive to actually debate properly on a forum where opinions differ to yours.

Easy. People like the convenience like many other things in life now (TV, food delivery, online shopping) - and it's been shown now that it's easy to do without needing a solid reason for it.

I’d love to see Bowen and Frydenberg head to head.
Though Josh would never agree because he knows that Bowen is an excellent debater and he wouldn’t stand a chance.

I've not seen Bowen debate but I did see him fluff the tax brackets, pretty grim viewing of a aspirant to the Treasury.

Love to see a debate each night

Penny vs matiaus
Tanya vs Teehan
Albo vs McCormack
Mark vs porter

Prior to debate 2

Where's all the quality lnp ministers
Give em more airtime
All selected on merit afterall

A few preliminary points:

1. Labor nearly always "wins" these debates. I'm pretty sure the worm etc. LOVED Latham back in 2004 too, for example, and Kim B in 2001. Labor has the neatest little cliches to appeal to the bogans
2. From the clip shown on ABC News tonight, one of the audience members said they thought Shorten won and "that's who I was always going to vote for anyway". So, if ReachTel and Seven are claiming this was an entire audience of undecideds....
3. The audience members shown on ABC News seemed to be slobs and weirdos - of course Labor voters are home at 5pm in the afternoon.
4. Morrison KILLED Shorten on the voting 78 times against border security - totally killing forever Shortens nonsense Banking Royal Commission line.
5. Morrison KILLED Shorten on misleading about the % of pensioners affected by his franking credit changes.

IF there was a positive for Shorten where he killed Morrison then the ABC couldn't find one..

1. Lines that appeal to bogans: 'Stop the boats' 'Debt and deficit disaster' 'Axe the tax' 'Retiree tax [actually scrapping a gift that no other country provides]' 'Best form of welfare is a job [so we can provide inadequate support while out of work]' 'The budget is back in the black and Australia is back on track'[Possibly in 1 year's time, due to ripping off disabled people] 'Strong economy [actually growth is virtually zero]'
3. Bizarre comment. This is the problem with right-wingers. Anyone who is home at a certain time must be a dole bludger :rolleyes:
4. and 5. It's not 2013 - no one cares about boat people anymore. The franking credit issue is the most overblown aspect of this campaign. It's a handout to certain rich people and pales in comparison to other issues.

1. Lines that appeal to bogans: 'Stop the boats' 'Debt and deficit disaster' 'Axe the tax' 'Retiree tax [actually scrapping a gift that no other country provides]' 'Best form of welfare is a job [so we can provide inadequate support while out of work]' 'The budget is back in the black and Australia is back on track'[Possibly in 1 year's time, due to ripping off disabled people] 'Strong economy [actually growth is virtually zero]'
3. Bizarre comment. This is the problem with right-wingers. Anyone who is home at a certain time must be a dole bludger :rolleyes:
4. and 5. It's not 2013 - no one cares about boat people anymore. The franking credit issue is the most overblown aspect of this campaign. It's a handout to certain rich people and pales in comparison to other issues.

Your last point, is very inaccurate imo yes boat people are out of sight out of mind currently but still a very big winner for libs whenever it is talked about it's still a concern and one that libs can point to having solved whilst they were in power.

Franking credits is underblown if anything, talking about a tiny minority of rich folks taking advantage of it the vast majority are low income earners. Not to mention it is a broad brush approach that will miss most of the "rich" who Shorten loves to blame for everything, most rich folks have other income streams or can create other incomes which they will then be able to deduct the credits from anyway, net result they will still get the credit whilst the battlers will be the losers.

The franking credit issue is the most overblown aspect of this campaign. It's a handout to certain rich people and pales in comparison to other issues.
Sure a lot of people that are well off are taking advantage of it, which is certainly a fair argument against the policy but it not only these people. A lot of people that don't have much money at all also receive the refunds. Can this outright lie please stop being parroted on here?

Sure a lot of people that are well off are taking advantage of it, which is certainly a fair argument against the policy but it not only these people. A lot of people that don't have much money at all also receive the refunds. Can this outright lie please stop being parroted on here?

https://www.alp.org.au/other/dividend-imputation-credits/

A Shorten Labor Government will close down the concession created by Howard and Costello, and return to the arrangement first introduced by Hawke and Keating – so that imputation credits can be used to reduce tax, but not for cash refunds.
This change only affects a small number of shareholders who have no tax liability and use imputation credits to receive a cash refund.
People will still be able to use imputation credits to reduce their tax liability to zero.
While those people will no longer receive a cash refund, they will not be paying additional tax.
More than 92 per cent of taxpayers do not receive a cash refund for excess imputation credits, and won’t be affected at all by this change.
Much of this goes to high-wealth individuals, with 80 per cent of the benefit accruing to the wealthiest 20 per cent of retirees.

Of course it is your right to be cynical about the policy but this sounds like simply stopping people getting a tax refund while not even being liable to pay tax in the first place.

You can make a reasonable argument for scraping as I already have said before, my main issue is with people lying that it only will affect 'rich' people.

Based on the ALP's claims it seems it will predominantly affect the more well off people, and for those who aren't as well off that receive the refund - well, I believe the notion that you should receive a tax refund when you have no tax liability in the first place is ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sky News confirm: Shorten was an embarrassment last night.

Please, Tony Abbott could literally eat a baby alive on camera and Sky would say the baby deserved it.

Channel 7's audience called it a win for Shorten and other non-nutjob media agreed.

I reckon you secretly have the hots for Ms Credlin, that's the real reason you always watch Sky.
Not even with yours comrade.

I hardly watch it really , just follow them on twitter.

Laura Jayes however.....
tenor.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back