Position 2019 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2017
Wurundjeri Land
AFL Club
Richmond
I hope no one objects to me starting this thread. I’ve read the “read this before posting” thread and I think this is the right format ...

What are people’s thoughts on Andy McGrath as a $380K D/M this year? I don’t watch many Bombers games so I haven’t seen all that much of him ... what chance do you give him of stepping up to 90+ppg this year?

I hope no one objects to me starting this thread. I’ve read the “read this before posting” thread and I think this is the right format ...

What are people’s thoughts on Andy McGrath as a $380K D/M this year? I don’t watch many Bombers games so I haven’t seen all that much of him ... what chance do you give him of stepping up to 90+ppg this year?
No Cactus .....it's fine, but a certain Mod might have different ideas ...likes to keep the number of operating threads to a minimum
ba
I'm actually surprised more Essendon players are not being discussed so far .....he's great from a DPP perspective, but there are a lot of el-cheapo options at around that price ...Brad Crouch, Libba ect

No Cactus .....it's fine, but a certain Mod might have different ideas ...likes to keep the number of operating threads to a minimum
ba
I'm actually surprised more Essendon players are not being discussed so far .....he's great from a DPP perspective, but there are a lot of el-cheapo options at around that price ...Brad Crouch, Libba ect
McGrath fits the profile of players I like to look out for. Touted as a future midfielder. Played 20 odd games in his first couple of seasons and averaged about 70 both years.

It’s probably only going take one person telling me that he’s training the house down for me to put him in my side. He will then average 68 in 2019 and break out in 2020.

McGrath fits the profile of players I like to look out for. Touted as a future midfielder. Played 20 odd games in his first couple of seasons and averaged about 70 both years.

It’s probably only going take one person telling me that he’s training the house down for me to put him in my side. He will then average 68 in 2019 and break out in 2020.

He played more mid this year but started very slowly like the rest of the team.
Picked it up and found himself forward a bit more as we worked on mids pushing up to help defend.
If he continues developing and keeps some of that forward opportunity he could get some more goals and be ok.

Personally I'd look elsewhere purely because of how up in the air our best team is. A lot of hype around for a team that whilst does have options isnt settled,would take a big punt to go for McGrath who could lose some time and get lost in no means land with Shiel coming in and eating up big minutes.

He played more mid this year but started very slowly like the rest of the team.
Picked it up and found himself forward a bit more as we worked on mids pushing up to help defend.
If he continues developing and keeps some of that forward opportunity he could get some more goals and be ok.

Personally I'd look elsewhere purely because of how up in the air our best team is. A lot of hype around for a team that whilst does have options isnt settled,would take a big punt to go for McGrath who could lose some time and get lost in no means land with Shiel coming in and eating up big minutes.
Thx. Appreciate the insight. I think Bombers fans are sensible to keep expectations in check. But having said that it is not for no reason that a few people think they might be dramatic improvers this year.

Their best last year wasn’t bad ... young team improving ... Sheil a dose or exactly what you guys needed (a bit more midfield class) ...

How relevant will Harris Andrews be in 2019 do we think?

Good thread

McGraths a dud, wash your hands, you'll feel clean again

Roberton looks tasty if he gets his role back.
Very cheap - $297K

He collapsed on field last year didn’t he? Was it a heart issue? Anyone know how he’s been going?

Brodie Smith is also very cheap $332K.

Hamish Hartlett has averaged over 100ppg before and over 90ppg several times. $349K.

Birchall $205K will be in a lot of teams if he gets through the preseason in one piece.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF and i know it is a big if but Aaron Francis at 350k could be the best mid pricer with serious chances of being a Top 10 defender.

Played stuff all last season but averaged 100pts the last 2 games he played in last season very late.

Bombers fans should we trust his body??

IF and i know it is a big if but Aaron Francis at 350k could be the best mid pricer with serious chances of being a Top 10 defender.

Played stuff all last season but averaged 100pts the last 2 games he played in last season very late.

I'm just hoping there aren't too many articles about this bloke in the preseason.

Too risky in regular for me, but looms as a massive SC draft steal waiting to happen.

I'm thinking Sicily last year. Remember his huge end to 2017. It was almost just an unspoken acceptance that he would go big in 2018, and aside from injuries he didn't let us down. I can see Francis mirroring that, and hopefully staying fit for the whole season.

Pop Quiz...Name which player this is.

HINT: Its not Dangerfield..

View attachment 595740

..and how could you leave him out?

I missed the boat on this chip scab last season and never was able to get him in.

This year he was my first picked. ;)

I missed the boat on this chip scab last season and never was able to get him in.

This year he was my first picked. ;)
I never had him either...:'( Just in my preseason teams and changed last minute.

Hes not a Shaw type who was getting older, hes 25 in his peak.

I reckon he's probably 30k overpriced but I don't want to find out the hard way by not starting him.
Especially if your midpricers turn to shite and you spend the first 6 weeks fixing that mess.

Thuggee_Cult do you see him continuing in this role for the foreseeable future?

I never had him either...:'( Just in my preseason teams and changed last minute.

I reckon he's probably 30k overpriced but I don't want to find out the hard way by not starting him.
Especially if your midpricers turn to shite and you spend the first 6 weeks fixing that mess.

Agree and he killed me in every H2H League match up i had and when i finally played someone that was the same as me and did not have him he decided to throw in a sub 100 score but gee those were rare after Rd 11 and you just have to pay for him IMO from the start.

And for this reason I'm overlooking Lloyd .....what do people think of Mills impact, coming back from injury ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back