List Mgmt. 2019 Depth

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno if this will work, but here’s my thinking.

Our depth has been an issue for a while. We know this. It’s hard to cover injuries, particularly in the midfield.

This is not a thread to post your best 22 for 2019. Nor is it a thread to post your potential delistings.

This is a thread to post who of our current players do you expect to be largely playing VFL next year.

Presuming we bring in 3 players over the off season and another however many via the draft, who stays but (all things considered) doesn’t play in the ones unless required or unless they take their game to another level.

Because it’s these players that will largely make or brake our season, as the odd injury inevitably occurs.

Here are mine off the top of my head:

Hrovat
Thompson
Wright

Wright is someone i would cut or trade off as he is in the age where he can be valuable in a team contending, let him off to FA. Thompson should not be offered a new contract, too old and no more upside and because we are not a contending team, fresh blood in his key position is vital. Hrovat should be kept, perhaps due to other players he is now a depth player but we should still aim for him to be a pressure forward. Our biggest weakness this year has been pressure forward acts. If we can bolster the midfield in a big way, the small forward will need to step up so we can be more rounded team.

If we get two genuine wingers it leaves a bit of a conundrum what to do about Dumont. Clearly he's elevated his game to where he ought to be best 22 regardless. My inclination would be to have him roll forward which should put Turner's spot in peril. And if Hall comes he's competing with Hrovat for the other small forward spot. So ...

Turner
Hrovat
Hartung
Wright

Don't think Thompson qualifies. Knowing Brad, He's either playing or gone.

Not sure about Clarke. I rate him better than many here but he's another one who's better on the wing and might struggle with better options available.

If we get two genuine wingers it leaves a bit of a conundrum what to do about Dumont. Clearly he's elevated his game to where he ought to be best 22 regardless. My inclination would be to have him roll forward which should put Turner's spot in peril.

I suppose it all comes down to how we structure if a Polec/Gaff/Hall combination arrives. Will we still go with the half forwards lining up on the wing (4 wing men)?

Whatever happens, Brad must be applauded for plonking Froggy on a wing. He has cemented his spot now.

And if Hall comes he's competing with Hrovat for the other small forward spot. So ...

Turner
Hrovat
Hartung
Wright

Don't think Thompson qualifies. Knowing Brad, He's either playing or gone.

Not sure about Clarke. I rate him better than many here but he's another one who's better on the wing and might struggle with better options available.

I reckon Hall would play half back, and right now, Clarkey is shaky.

Clarke is in all sorts with Polec incoming, even more so if Gaff does. They both play his natural role and both are significantly cleaner with disposal.

Turner.
Wright.
Garner.
Hrovat.
Hartung arguably could be if Polec / Gaff are upgrades although he has blistering pace and uses it in a very attacking way a la Harvey. Arguably he's just better with them in the team and others then start to look more shaky.

From the assumed 22 there are a couple for mine that are at the crossroads for the longterm and at risk of becoming depth.

Lmac.
Jmac.

While I think these players will be better with a better midfield they are in danger of being casualties to us resting better mids off HB. Fascinating off season coming up.

Last edited:
And it starts that’s 6 to start with......clearly we are getting Polec that’s why Hartung is gone...would not surprise me to see gaff in the royal blue and white

The list will be far more balanced with no Durdin or Nielson if that does eventuate.

Even still, Majak having a foot fracture to recuperate over summer, McKay having 1 game under his belt.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us have a look at Sam Collins with a late pick.

To add to this you'd expect LDU and Walker to become regulars at some point. Hopefully Jacobs, Garner and EVW can return from injury and Bmac and Murphy can break into the side.

Probably means Clarke, Hrovat, Wright, Jmac, Thomo and Turner are all at risk of becoming depth players. Although he had a bad year I'd back Lmac in to turn it around and stay a regular.

Gonna be an interesting 12 months.

I'd expect Hrovat, Clarke and Thompson to see a fair bit of VFL time next season. I think Thompson will be extended with a view towards him being a depth player.

Hrovat and Clarke just haven't shown enough and will be replaced in the side by Polec and Gaff.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frogger has been great the last month. Definitely best 22 for next season. However still lacks the pace to be a damaging wingman. Has only played that position since theres no one else.

Dunno if this will work, but here’s my thinking.

Our depth has been an issue for a while. We know this. It’s hard to cover injuries, particularly in the midfield.

This is not a thread to post your best 22 for 2019. Nor is it a thread to post your potential delistings.

This is a thread to post who of our current players do you expect to be largely playing VFL next year.

Presuming we bring in 3 players over the off season and another however many via the draft, who stays but (all things considered) doesn’t play in the ones unless required or unless they take their game to another level.

Because it’s these players that will largely make or brake our season, as the odd injury inevitably occurs.

Here are mine off the top of my head:

Hrovat
Thompson
Wright

I don't have a crystal ball so can't possibly predict how well someone is going to play next year. It is just effectively listing the more disappointing players of this season that are likely to stay on the list at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back