Toast 2019 Doig Medal - Nat Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

I have liked Swamp's posts in the past but lately found a lot of them pretty pointless. People love to use pointless snapshots of stats like these to infer things whilst conveniently ignoring the context in which they are provided. There was another one a while back about injuries that was even more misleading.

As a Statistician he really shouldn't be producing this kind of stuff - suspect it's pressure to churn stuff out to keep people engaged and talking. Get back to quality over quantity please Swamp.

Hill and Langdon making the top 5 stings a little but I suppose that's just a reflection of how Ross/current coaches value wingers. Hopefully Longmuir has a plan that doesn't focus so much on em.

Sounded like Weber is getting the boot and Nat isn't particularly happy about it.

Understandable but with so many injuries to key players year after year what's another solution?
To me it sounded like Webber is under pressure and so he should be along with the entire S&C team. What I remember was him saying if he goes he would be...

The guys all making an effort to thank Webber and Boyle etc is to counter all the crap that has been out in the media no thanks to Colin Young.

6PR (I know shouldn’t repeat) were making comments along the lines yesterday that Ross had a very hands on / over-ruling element to his role with the medical staff and were sticking up for them somewhat. Fyfe’s speech he mentioned that he had a good chat with J-Lo and is really confident they’ll be doing much better in the second half of 2020. Seems to me everyone is acknowledging we need to manage our players better and get them on the park for longer and that the fade outs over I the second half of 2017-18-19 are a big concern.

Just listened again to Fyfe’s speech and he had some very kind words to say about Rosich and Lyon...eternally grateful was his finishing words.

Also had some very kind words for Anthony Rock and Simon Eastaugh.

It’s a rubbish stat. You just need one outlier to change the statistic a lot. Like Mundy in top 5, instead of Langdon or Brayshaw. Then we’d be close to the bottom again.
Yep, why top 5? A bit arbitrary, especially when you could do a top 10 easily. Extending it to a more representative number like top 10 would account for up and comers more and reflect a 22 player team better.

Even better you could average votes/placings by age groupings.

Is Swamp a Bulldogs supporter by any chance?

6PR (I know shouldn’t repeat) were making comments along the lines yesterday that Ross had a very hands on / over-ruling element to his role with the medical staff and were sticking up for them somewhat.
Ha. Makes that trope even less credible.

Sounds like Nat could do with some experience under some top quality coaches and support staff to add some perspective to his opinions.

It’s a rubbish stat. You just need one outlier to change the statistic a lot. Like Mundy in top 5, instead of Langdon or Brayshaw. Then we’d be close to the bottom again.
Yeah Pearce probably would of got in there if he wasn’t injured

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Nat could do with some experience under some top quality coaches and support staff to add some perspective to his opinions.
Nat needs to stick to what he’s good at - playing football. Leave the general commentary until he’s retired-

Sounds like some “fans” on here could do with some perspective regarding their relevance relative to Nathan Fyfe.

AFL Trade 2019: Nat Fyfe backs Fremantle’s hard ball stance on Bradley Hill
Headshot of Braden Quartermaine

Braden QuartermaineThe West Australian
Sunday, 6 October 2019 7:58PM
Braden Quartermaine

Play Video
Longmuir speaks from Doig Medal
2:08 | 7NEWS Perth

Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe has encouraged his club to hold a hard line on Bradley Hill’s trade request, but has given fellow wingman Ed Langdon his blessing to return to Victoria in what he described a different situation.
The Dockers’ delicate position entering the 10-day trade period, which begins in Melbourne this morning, was underlined on Saturday night when Hill and Langdon finished in the top five of the Doig Medal.
Fremantle’s midfield would be gutted by the expected departure of both outside runners, coming on top of the loss of star ball-winner Lachie Neale to Brisbane during last year’s trade period.
Neale claimed the Merrett-Murray Medal as the Lions’ premier performer for 2019 on Saturday night.
The Dockers are expected to demand a huge price from St Kilda for 26-year-old Hill, given they are in the driver’s seat.
Fremantle are comfortable for the deal to fall through and keep him next season.
The Saints’ No.6 draft pick is not expected to be enough on its own, with the triple Hawthorn premiership player contracted for two more years and coming off a season he labelled his best.
Fyfe, who won the Doig Medal for a third time, still believed it was possible Hill would be wearing a Fremantle jumper next season.
“If I can get hard-nosed, I’ll say that the business of AFL is hard and it can’t all just be letting people wander around and do what they want,” Fyfe said.
“So, if we can hold him to his contract and keep him at our club, we’d love to do that.
“I’ll be doing everything I can to keep him here.”
Langdon, who is out of contract and has resisted attempts from the Dockers to re-sign him, is expected to join Melbourne in a more straightforward deal.
“For a while now he has wanted to move back to family and probably it’s a slightly different situation with Ed,” Fyfe said.
Hill did not directly address his trade request when he accepted his trophy for finishing third in the club champion count at Crown Perth.
However, he spoke about his three-year stint at the Dockers as if it was over during an at-times emotional speech.
“I’d like to thank my brother Stephen. Since I was a kid, my dream was to play AFL footy with my brother and to do that has been terrific,” Hill said.
“When we’re older, we’re going to look back at how proud we were to play footy alongside each other.”

I'm leaving everything alone in your sentence except for Nat and coaches and then all the others. Interesting times for us all. If I don't get joy from winning I'll always take interest as a second come on. Looks like we're in for a season.

We averaged out to 27.6 and they rounded it up to 28 just to group us with the top group.. what rubbish. Brayshaw instead of Mundy we are in the bottom group - rebuild successful!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back