List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunate for Ling

Body can’t cop with managed training loads and neafl let alone senior footy and backing it up

Without knowing all of the details his injuries to date largely seem to be unlucky. Turf toe followed by Achilles.

If he kept doing soft tissue injuries or does an ACL or the like there would be a lot more risk going forward.

Hopefully he can put it all together this year.

Without knowing all of the details his injuries to date largely seem to be unlucky. Turf toe followed by Achilles.

If he kept doing soft tissue injuries or does an ACL or the like there would be a lot more risk going forward.

Hopefully he can put it all together this year.
Yer unfortunately a bust for him and the club

Hard to exclude academy players, we still chose to take them. In 2015 we don’t trade our pick 14 to gather points, do we take Hipwood like Brisbane did?
2016 we took Florent and Hayward, I’d consider that a win. 2018 we took Blakey, we still would have gotten him (as he was bid on at 10!) but would have lost out on Rowbottom.

Jury is still out on Ling for what it’s worth, he isn’t a bust until he is no longer on our/an AFL list.
The only two real busts I can think of is Veszpremi and going way back to Willoughby in 2004. That's not to say our first round picks all turned out to be superstars but they became legitimate senior level players ie Jetta, Rohan and Jones.

We haven't had a plethora of early picks with which to stuff up.

To be fair to Deano there weren’t a lot of very good players post his selection in that draft. So it wasn’t far off the mark as a selection.
Jack Viney and Mason Wood were taken after him. Those are the only ones I recognize at name value

The only two real busts I can think of is Veszpremi and going way back to Willoughby in 2004. That's not to say our first round picks all turned out to be superstars but they became legitimate senior level players ie Jetta, Rohan and Jones.

Lewis Johnston. Though he has become a much better player coming off half back.

Daniel O’Keefe is another.

He recently won BoG medal in the underage all-star game. That's the opposite of sliding - he's firmly on the radar now I imagine. I just hope we get a pick in before him wherever he lands.
That’s easy...just tank for no.1 (our overrated list will do this naturally)!

Lewis Johnston. Though he has become a much better player coming off half back.

He was such a sweet kick of the footy. Thought he would make something of himself.

Back then I remember in the reserves in his final year he started to play in defence and was taking the kickouts, thought he might have found a home there. Might have been an attitude thing?

He was such a sweet kick of the footy. Thought he would make something of himself.

Back then I remember in the reserves in his final year he started to play in defence and was taking the kickouts, thought he might have found a home there. Might have been an attitude thing?
I think injury was a major factor. Retired from footy at 23.

Not competitive enough, at least to be a forward. I think he has done enough over the last few years to deserve another shot but it won't happen. Half back wing is his go. You are right, he is a beautiful kick. The ESPN draft guy keeps pumping him up every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think it is fair calling injury riddled players a bust. They are just unfortunate. I mean players just don't make it but if it's because their body didn't let them or had an accident, it's a bit harsh imo

The Roar have updated their phantom draft. They've got us taking Ash and Stephens;

Yep...I guess that comes down to how much they rate those two 2020 SS academies against next years pool and how accurate they think they are, as well as where they predict ladder position....outside the 8, but between 9-12, I’d guess.
GWS use their midfield early picks like a bank or trading currency....keep the good stuff rolling....got to disrupt that somehow....
I feel there is every chance that our first pick next year could again be in the top 5. I don't believe a bid on our two academy boys will come before that. All the more reason for us to stack up on second and third round picks next year. 2020 draft could be an absolute bonanza for us with a very good player taken early followed by Campbell and Gulden.
If Serong is available at our pick this year, I would take him. If not, I'd be happy if we took the gamble on Kemp.

Last edited:
That’s easy...just tank for no.1 (our overrated list will do this naturally)!
An injury to Buddy and one of Parker or JPK might do that pretty quick.

But which of : Blakey, Heeney, Rowbottom, Hayward, Florent, Rampe, JPK, Hewett, Parker, Papley, Lloyd, Aliir, Sinkers, Mills, Reid, Dawson, Clarke, COR, McCartin, McInerney, Fox are you calling over rated?

Under them we may suck, but then they're not rated anyway so....

Do we need to add a couple via VFL/WAFL/DLFAs that are going to push for a first team spot?

Geeze Amarty and Pink are still young for bigs. Are we keeping them?

The Roar have updated their phantom draft. They've got us taking Ash and Stephens;
I would be very surprised if we took Ash when Serong was still available. It's something that Beatson would do but I don't think Dalrymple will.
I would love it if Stephens was still available at 25. Let's hope.

Last edited:
I hope we get Cooper Stephens with our second.

Interesting reading over the last few pages and at the risk of sounding like B52, I agree with both arguments re our mids. Been very clear about the fact I'm not convinced by the quantity of our future midfield stocks (my count stands at three in Hewett, Florent and Rowbottom, as I don't see Blakey being in there much, nor Dawson, Heeney or Mills.) So I agree with LP1 and RUNVS on their sentiments that a mid should be a massive priority for us, because I don't think you can go forward into the future with only three in your rotation.

But I am convinced by the quality of our future midfield stocks, in that I think those three I mentioned all have the potential to be very smart and efficient ball users. They don't need to be big-bodied, as I'm just not convinced that the Dangerfield/Fyfe/Cripps mould is any more influential in forming a dangerous midfield group than one full of medium-sized mids (like Richmond's.) I'd rather a cohesive group that make up for whatever they lack in size through their footy smarts and skill. So I agree with Masey that there's some under-selling of the few we already have on here.

Rowbottom wasn't amassing Tom Mitchell-esque numbers in the NEAFL (think he had a steady stream of about 27-30 every week) yet was consistently among our best because he made every possession count. Florent is a similar case, as his pace and run and carry make his possessions more valuable than if they were standard one-twos (though he could polish his finishing a little more.) If anyone needs to amass big numbers and be that "accumulator" it would be Hewett, as he doesn't have as many weapons at his disposal and so has to really work hard to have that impact. This would require him being unleashed as a pure ball-winner and not spending so much time running with opposition mids. I hope this eventuates.

I hope we get Cooper Stephens with our second.

Prior to his broken leg, was he shaping up to be in the top 15 or so?

If we picked him up at 25 then you could understand going for more an Ash type earlier on (though of course you don’t know who will be at 25 when taking a player at 5!).

Do like the look of the other Stephens too though but as we discussed another time he might be a slight reach at 5/6.

Still hoping we can find a way to trade 32 and 44 to Fremantle for 22 to assist them slightly with Henry but they might have some better offers for that trade than what we have available to us.

Jack Viney and Mason Wood were taken after him. Those are the only ones I recognize at name value
And Viney only went there because of the old F/S rule (under current bidding rules he'd have been Top 10).

Though that draft also had Clurey and McIntosh taken a few picks later, Membrey lateish and the likes of Williams and Rampe in the rookie draft. O/c two of those guys were originally Swans.

But yeah in fairness to Towers not that much of value after about #30.

Prior to his broken leg, was he shaping up to be in the top 15 or so?

If we picked him up at 25 then you could understand going for more an Ash type earlier on (though of course you don’t know who will be at 25 when taking a player at 5!).

Do like the look of the other Stephens too though but as we discussed another time he might be a slight reach at 5/6.

Still hoping we can find a way to trade 32 and 44 to Fremantle for 22 to assist them slightly with Henry but they might have some better offers for that trade than what we have available to us.
I am not convinced Cooper Stephens will get to 25 so I would be all for moving our second up. Everyone would of noted how Jye Caldwell went at GWS after being out most of the season. Twomey had projected he'd be in the top 15 before his injury. As for Ash, I couldn't take him ahead of Young or Serong. But if they are both gone I guess it would be between Flanders and Ash for me with Dylan Stephens after them. If we do go for Flanders over Ash I would consider Jeremy Sharp at 25. If we go with Ash hope fully C. Stephens is at 25 other wise they might reach for the likes of Jay Rantall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back