List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that’s a big call.

Not really, just a personal opinion on what our side needs most going forward, and we’ll probably all see that a little differently. I’d prefer a mid whose an elite decision maker and ball user (like Kemp or Young who I could really see as a mid) over a mid whose tough and hard (like Green). Two different playing styles but we’d be laughing either way let’s be honest.

If by some miracle Green is still free then we’re bidding. I can’t find any logical reason as to why Swans wouldn’t bid
Plus
the snot nosed little shits went crying to Daddy AFL when they thought we were doing something underhand re Harley/Daniher. They can get stuffed

It seems to be the consensus.

Also it (top of draft) is becoming clearer. Surely Rowell & Anderson go GCS ( I think the priority was ensure best mates together might actually stay up there?).
That only leaves Melbourne & Adelaide. Surely GWS has to seriously consider matching for the integrity of their academy, but do either of them (dees & crows) want a potential go home factor ? (LOL! to NSW!!!)

Surely someone has got into Green's ear and indicated he has more chance of straight into a wide open need at Swans, but will find it difficult to have his regular preferred position in a GWS midfield (if all of them are fit)?

It wouldn't be a huge miracle?

I’ve got a different theory.

I think they’ll match at 3 or 4 but not at 5 if the ruck is still available.

My feeling is they want Green and Jackson. If they can’t trade up then they’ll have to make a choice between one or the other. If they pass on Green at 3 or 4 that means Jackson could still be gone by pick 6, they lose out on their primary players. Therefore they match on bids at 3 or 4 to guarantee one of them.

If both are available at 5 and we bid on Green. I reckon GWS pass on Green to get Jackson based on needs. We get Green - happy days!
Could be worse....
expect Melb to call Green and than take Jackson...
Don’t think Melb will give up 3 but gws will be pursing relentlessly crows no 4...hopefully they don’t relent..
Perhaps the spanner in the works might be GC picking green at 2...

Could be worse....
expect Melb to call Green and than take Jackson...
Don’t think Melb will give up 3 but gws will be pursing relentlessly crows no 4...hopefully they don’t relent..
Perhaps the spanner in the works might be GC picking green at 2...

Why do you think Melb want Jackson?. They have Gawn

Given the state of Crows list and midfield and the history of that pick I don't think they will give it up.
Also there is a bloke named Nicks who might lend us a hand??? Oops!! forgot he had GWS connections more recently

Im still keen to trade (if the opportunity presents itself)
p5 for p6 + p40 + future 1st
we get the same player at 6 as we would at 5.
we trade p40 + p44 to Hawks for p30 - so we improve our 4th selection form p44 to p30
or
we trade p32 + p40 to freo for p22 - so we improve our 3rd selection from p32 to p22
we get an extra 1st next year which opens up heaps of opportunities.

Sure.. GWS get p5 + Green, but results in them having no more picks in 2019 and no picks in 2020 (They would still be in points deficit)

We win and GWS pay a huge price for one draftee ( all 2020 picks + all but one 2019 picks)

Edit.. and they won't have any picks in 2020 to bid on our academy kids
How does GWS get p5 plus Green? Where are they getting their points from?

Green is from Canberra isn't he? Might consider himself a Sydney local, or elsewhere depending on where his grandparents/family are from.
Playing AFL in Canberra it's a good chance they are from Southern states - he might be dead keen on living in Melbourne for all I know. Canberra people are often split like that depending on where the fool in the family who moved there was from. ;)

Anyway It'd be a total longshot to get him. It's far more likley they take him and trade out a Hately or Caldwell back to where they are from at the end of the year. Their NEAFL team is going to take some beating next year for sure. System can keep them in cheap elite talent fringe squad players for the next 10 years.
They'll win the flag next year.

Why do you think Melb want Jackson?. They have Gawn

Given the state of Crows list and midfield and the history of that pick I don't think they will give it up.
Also there is a bloke named Nicks who might lend us a hand??? Oops!! forgot he had GWS connections more recently
Jackson will start as a forward...

Ned Cahill sounds like a really good option if we don't go for Serong.

A small forward with really good running capability. Can find the ball, is great at ground level and can finish in front of goal. Should be around for our second or third pick. Would be great insurance for Papley should he leave AND he's a swans supporter!

Class of 2019: Meet the goalsneak who loves a celebration and the 'Plugger' position - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-05/class-of-2019-ned-cahill
The thing is do we need another small forward? We got rid of two before trading for one and picking another up in the delisted period. These are our small forward stocks;

Ronke, Wicks, Gray, Taylor, Hayward & guess who Papley. I think we might be OK in that department.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ned Cahill sounds like a really good option if we don't go for Serong.

A small forward with really good running capability. Can find the ball, is great at ground level and can finish in front of goal. Should be around for our second or third pick. Would be great insurance for Papley should he leave AND he's a swans supporter!

Class of 2019: Meet the goalsneak who loves a celebration and the 'Plugger' position - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-05/class-of-2019-ned-cahill
He's a doppelganger of Campbell. How will we be able to tell them apart?

So missing out on a player who is injury plagued, has a history of off field issues and generally has stats that don’t get him over the line as an under 18 draftee let alone an AFL player makes it an ordinary off season. What makes it ordinary is people rating Bennell. Spare me, he was a free hit, if you deem a list spot to be worthless, his coming or not was a revenue neutral result as best. The period so far has not been that bad, we didn’t miss out on Daniher, he missed out on us, we picked up a couple of players clearly to suit needs, Papley stays, albeit potentially not very happy however we have him for 12 more months and we are likely to pick up a couple of really solid draft picks.

At worst the situation so far is a narrow gain, it’s not the end of the world for where we are right now. We are not likely to challenge too much next year, we can consolidate a bit given the draw and push our squad development forward....we can be successful next year, it just won’t show on the ladder for a couple of years.

Too many chicken littles imo.
I Thi k you are right about us doing well in the Pre draft period. We also kept all our draft picks.

But I do think, even though young, you are underestimating the list. I think we will improve our position on the ladder next year because we used the trade and delisted period to pick up quality players who have had problems at their previous, club.

For instance, Gray is a, good player. He was shunted all over the shop to make allowances for Robbie Grey and then told thry had lots of youth thry think are better. Now if you look at list management at that footy club then you would find yourself scratching your head. Out go Howard and Gray for what reason? Oh we have a few young fk who MIGHT MAKE IT. * me.

We have done well to trade for Taylor. A former first round draft pick. He did not fit into the game style they are developing at Lions. Kaden Brand is the sort of defender who can match it with the monsters and yet Clarko would not play him there. He had Frawlwy for that. When Frawlwy was injured he played either Sicily or Stratton there, both are highly unsuitable for that role. He lost the plot last year ask any Hawks fan. Again Brand did not fit the mould of his coach.

We have done very well.

My hunch is we want a ready to go midfielder.
We bid on Green, GWS will match & we take Dylan Stephens.
Either one will play round one.
Should we miss both, Jackson is next best for our needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is do we need another small forward? We got rid of two before trading for one and picking another up in the delisted period. These are our small forward stocks;

Ronke, Wicks, Gray, Taylor, Hayward & guess who Papley. I think we might be OK in that department.

I have a hunch that Taylor might be playing through the middle. He's got pace and endurance and he's a good user of the ball. Suspect he'll be a replacement for Jones.

Dylan Stephens is an absolute twig, not sure he'll be ready unless we get him on the galleon of milk a day(GOMAD) diet.

Would get bullied even on a wing

I have a hunch that Taylor might be playing through the middle. He's got pace and endurance and he's a good user of the ball. Suspect he'll be a replacement for Jones.

In the conversation the poster from another site had with Harley he said Taylor to play midfield and Gray to play forward (though I suspect he might run through the middle too).

In the conversation the poster from another site had with Harley he said Taylor to play midfield and Gray to play forward (though I suspect he might run through the middle too).
I like that. Both of them could be regular seniors. If Taylor gets a regular spot and is given license to run and carry he could be really good for us. I watched his first year highlight reel again and it wasn't a fluke he won the Rising Star. Very classy user of the ball.

Dylan Stephens is an absolute twig, not sure he'll be ready unless we get him on the galleon of milk a day(GOMAD) diet.

Would get bullied even on a wing

All behind a paywall, but your T'iser seems to be declaring he wants/prefers to stay in SA, and they are strongly guessing he goes with Adelaide's first pick.
Pity he is an impressive greyhound.
Wherever, I think he likely gets a senior run 2020

There is only a few ready to go players in this draft, not sure Stephens is one.Really want Green but doubt GWS aren’t matching

You may be right Gong. But we still have a plethora of small forwards. Our needs are mids, quality Ruck, back half and real talent with toughness and endurance across the board. We have drafted very well in the last 5 years to set this team up. In the next two years we put the finishing touches to a very talented list. Our list is exceptional. Every expert says so. It is a young developing list with huge potential.

Now all we need is the cream on the cake. Early draft picks this year make that possible. Add to that the possibility of getting either, or both, of our Academy boys next year and we are building something very special. A few people have lamented the fact we have drafted too many players who don't get huge numbers. Yes that is a fact, Stoddart, McInnerney etc did not get 30's in the U18 comp. But neither did Florent and he is now in the seniors.

I think Tommy McCartin will be a star for us for many years if concussion does not become an issue. He has enormous talent. That is why the coaches played him so young. To play AFL footy at 18 is unusual these days especially for a key forward. Hayward is a rare talent and when he gets his body right he will kick bags of goals. Ronke could not shake the tag of the best small backs last year until very late in the season. I think he'll bounce back. What's more he can play mids as that was why we drafted him. Gray will be very good for us. He is professional, clever and talented. His problem at Port was another Grey, Robbie. They saw Sam as a Robbie clone just not as good. Robbie has spent the last three seasons playing with soft tissue injuries so played forward. Hinkley seemed to think he could not play the two together. I think Sam is capable of putting together a 40 goal season if allowed to play where he is best suited, forward pocket.

Sam Reid is underrated in my opinion. A very fit Sam Reid is a very dangerous player. Same applies to Bud. I see he is getting an early start. I'd say he wants to be ready for round one. If he is fully fit watch out every opponent as he will have a huge year. Joey is not finished yet but I do think he is on the downhill run. Last year he spent a little less time in the mids. This year that will be a little more forward again. Joey is a good Mark and he started his AFL life as a forward.

With Sam Naismith coming back our rucks will look far different. First use is important as Grundy and NicNat have proven. People keep saying Richmond don't have good rucks but Toby and Soldo are more than sufficient. Toby is not a Ruck man who will win the majority of taps but what he does, do is nullify the contest and put in huge second efforts. Soldo is pretty talented and does, give first use more often than not. That combination murdered GWS in the GF.

The upshot is we have a pretty healthy list and if we can get the best players on the park this year we will be a very dangerous team.

I always get nervous when we draft players on “might be a midfielder”. We’ve been burnt before on this. If we want a mid draft on that plays there. Otherwise get a defender who plays there. I don’t want utilities at all well at least not at pick 5 (or 6 if there is a match for Green)

Agree 100%. Taylor will be outside.mid snd hopefully will thrive. Gray can do either forward or mid depending on need.

Gray will ply permanent mid imo. Taylor will split a bit fwd/mid.

We will soon be bemoaning how Gray butchers the ball going inside 50 and everywhere else on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back