Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Saw this article:

Best we target players without existing girlfriends lol ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SGBeach

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Saw this article:

Best we target players without existing girlfriends lol ;)
Fair enough.. good luck to him. Hope the Saints smash Essendon

Beak_A

Team Captain
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hi all
Please pardon the intrusion, we’ve been running a mock draft on the Freo board and I’ve been picking for your good selves

I went with a focus on athletic mids with good skills plus a good value tall for the backline

5 (6) Flanders (Green was bid on at 3)
25 Sam de Koning U18 AA Fullback
32 traded to Hawks for 41 and 2020 3rd for academy pts next year
41 Josh Shute SA winger with good outside run and skills
43 Thomson Dow for more good athleticism and hard ball gets

Interested in any feedback and whether you reckon you’ll take 4 or 5 picks in the draft

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heeney2Franklin

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
"I’ve been missing out on a lot back at home,” he said.
“My older brothers both have kids and I miss out on a lot of birthdays and those things.
“Coming home and seeing them not really knowing you was a reality check for me that maybe I do want to come home and spend more time in their lives.”

Totally fair there its just something we will forever be disadvantaged over if we keep drafting players with upbringings in Victoria, No matter how well run the club is.

P Kelly Legend

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all
Please pardon the intrusion, we’ve been running a mock draft on the Freo board and I’ve been picking for your good selves

I went with a focus on athletic mids with good skills plus a good value tall for the backline

Interested in any feedback and whether you reckon you’ll take 4 or 5 picks in the draft

Cheers

Think it will be 3 to 4. Definitely think Swans will trade for future picks. Thought at 32 you had Swans taking Pickett, which would be very interesting, if they thought he wasn’t a go home risk. Little bull. Personally, others here disagree, I would go Jackson at 5 and if not him Kemp. You have given an accurate Swans Agenda for midfielders but than picked de Koning? - not sure that fits. Dow would be good,

mikey_san

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all

Cheers

Wow, reckon you are some way off the mark.
5 - I'd be fine with Flanders, but think he will be gone. He is what we need, big bodied athletic mid.
25 - De Koning, No chance for Swans given we picked up a KPD last week in Brand. I'd be seriously annoyed. Last year we reached for a mid in Rowbottom - he looks great so far. Unless Gould falls this far I don't see a KP player worth taking here.
32 - Extremely unlikely to trade given the range of good inside mids available in this range. Chirgwin might suit us, Rantall might be Hanners like - there are quite a few candidates.
4? - Who knows, totally dependent on too many things. We did pick up Taylor and Gray who can play outside. Maybe trade this and 76 for next year's points - I hadn't considered this. If we have Serong at 5 we won't be getting any other smaller mids with Gulden coming next year and Rowbottom not huge either.
76- ?

SGBeach

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all

Cheers

P5 - the best available (not a half back flanker - we've got a few emerging)
p25 - big bodied inside mid (if we don't get Green. getting Green is highly unlikely)
p32 - big bodied inside mid (there's a few available)
p44 - Kid with the most potential, maybe a tall?, maybe speed?

We'll take 4 picks to the draft and if an opportunity presents try and trade up p32 or p44
We won't trade for future picks, we've a 1st, 2nd and 2 x 3rds already.
We traded in some outside pace in the midfield
We've three tall defenders developing for next year including one which we traded.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Hi all

Cheers

I think thats too early for de koning. I think we will use 4 picks.

Beak_A

Team Captain
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Think it will be 3 to 4. Definitely think Swans will trade for future picks. Thought at 32 you had Swans taking Pickett, which would be very interesting, if they thought he wasn’t a go home risk. Little bull. Personally, others here disagree, I would go Jackson at 5 and if not him Kemp. You have given an accurate Swans Agenda for midfielders but than picked de Koning? - not sure that fits. Dow would be good,
32 didn’t get updated in the list Pickett went to the Hawks

I went conservative on pre existing injuries so didn’t go for Kemp

With de Koning I thought he was good value and didn’t think there were a lot of young talls on your list (guess work though) I reckon will Be a pretty good fullback

Thx for the thoughts

Beak_A

Team Captain
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
5 - I'd be fine with Flanders, but think he will be gone. He is what we need, big bodied athletic mid.
25 - De Koning, No chance for Swans given we picked up a KPD last week in Brand. I'd be seriously annoyed. Last year we reached for a mid in Rowbottom - he looks great so far. Unless Gould falls this far I don't see a KP player worth taking here.
32 - Extremely unlikely to trade given the range of good inside mids available in this range. Chirgwin might suit us, Rantall might be Hanners like - there are quite a few candidates.
4? - Who knows, totally dependent on too many things. We did pick up Taylor and Gray who can play outside. Maybe trade this and 76 for next year's points - I hadn't considered this. If we have Serong at 5 we won't be getting any other smaller mids with Gulden coming next year and Rowbottom not huge either.
76- ?
Thx for the thoughts

I didn’t see much difference in the quality of mids between 32 and 41 so thought it was a good chance to bank some points towards your academy guns next year

We differ on de Koning. Brand definitely better right now but I think de Koning will be better in a couple of seasons

Beak_A

Team Captain
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
P5 - the best available (not a half back flanker - we've got a few emerging)
p25 - big bodied inside mid (if we don't get Green. getting Green is highly unlikely)
p32 - big bodied inside mid (there's a few available)
p44 - Kid with the most potential, maybe a tall?, maybe speed?

We'll take 4 picks to the draft and if an opportunity presents try and trade up p32 or p44
We traded in some outside pace in the midfield
We've three tall defenders developing for next year including one which we traded.
Thx, not quite what you were looking for then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mikey_san

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Thx for the thoughts

I didn’t see much difference in the quality of mids between 32 and 41 so thought it was a good chance to bank some points towards your academy guns next year

We differ on de Koning. Brand definitely better right now but I think de Koning will be better in a couple of seasons

You might be right about quality between 32 and 41...we are at 44 now though, so may just miss out on a good-en. I'd rather trade 44 up half a doz places if at all possible tbh given how even the draft is from about 25 - 40ish.

I don't see why we can't pay for next year's academy with next year's points at this stage. Were you hoping to pick up some points from us for your academy guy this year? Who are Freo picking at 7 and 10? Sweating on no bid for Henry I bet. If a bid comes for Henry at 12 then you'll need more points?
Agree De Koning is two years off but you don't take guys at 25 who aren't kicking arse in junior footy IMHO. Don't think he has been, just adequate, thus a project for AFL level to me. Real darth of KPP this draft. McCasey will be a valuable pick whoever gets him. Would have taken if I had 9 to spend after dealing Papley if playing fantasy manager. :p

Get ready for Fyfe to request a trade to the Swans next year. ;)

Beak_A

Team Captain
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
You might be right about quality between 32 and 41...we are at 44 now though, so may just miss out on a good-en. I'd rather trade 44 up half a doz places if at all possible tbh given how even the draft is from about 25 - 40ish.

I don't see why we can't pay for next year's academy with next year's points at this stage. Were you hoping to pick up some points from us for your academy guy this year? Who are Freo picking at 7 and 10? Sweating on no bid for Henry I bet. If a bid comes for Henry at 12 then you'll need more points?
Agree De Koning is two years off but you don't take guys at 25 who aren't kicking arse in junior footy IMHO. Don't think he has been, just adequate, thus a project for AFL level to me. Real darth of KPP this draft. McCasey will be a valuable pick whoever gets him. Would have taken if I had 9 to spend after dealing Papley if playing fantasy manager. :p

Get ready for Fyfe to request a trade to the Swans next year. ;)
I’d like to see
7 Robertson
10 Stephens

Or the other way around with a bid for Henry a few spots later

Gut feel says blues bid on Henry at 9

If you’ve got time to waste in your life you can read a few hundred posts about how the Henry bid might play out on our board

Heeney to pack his board and head to Freo to surf with Fyfe for the rest of his career

P Kelly Legend

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
Depends on where U think Guilden and Campbell will fall. I believe Between 10- 25. So in points a range of 1269 to 756.
Working off the same ladder position as this year Swans will have something like 23, 41, 43. (815, 412, 378 points.) Removing the 20% academy discount for contingency, why wouldn’t u trade for another future 3 or 4th? Keep 1st round and effectively swans have gone close to 4 1st round picks Over 2 drafts. Also unknown 2020 comprised draft which could easily push out picks and points, making bidding on academy prospects a bit more likely (if they see quality of course)
C57A135A-92AE-4943-81C4-3EF6840E1DE5.jpeg

Last edited:

SGBeach

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think getting 4 players at the draft this year is the goal. we've got p5 - excellent,, p25 & 32 - good,, p44 - Ok. Lets use them.
Theres a lot to play out before next year..
Paps might go (future 1st)
We might trade with GWS picks 5 for 6 + future first + more
Thurlow might come good and get traded for future 4th
Others might come good and get traded out
We can always use points from 2021 if needed

The age profile of our list from Heeney / Hewitt / Allirr down to the 2020 draftees is about right. It gives all those 18 - 25 yo players 5 years together (and two flags) I can see 2021 draft picks being used to trade in players to plug holes in our list

It'd be great to get a player before the Academy kids next year, and Im sure the Swans are thinking that and ready to jump on an opportunity if it arises.

Edit.. and we won't be finishing 15th next year.. likely 4 or 5 spots better

Last edited:

P Kelly Legend

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
I think getting 4 players at the draft this year is the goal. we've got p5 - excellent,, p25 & 32 - good,, p44 - Ok. Lets use them.
Theres a lot to play out before next year..
Paps might go (future 1st)
We might trade with GWS picks 5 for 6 + future first + more
Thurlow might come good and get traded for future 4th
Others might come good and get traded out
We can always use points from 2021 if needed

The age profile of our list from Heeney / Hewitt / Allirr down to the 2020 draftees is about right. It gives all those 18 - 25 yo players 5 years together (and two flags) I can see 2021 draft picks being used to trade in players to plug holes in our list

It'd be great to get a player before the Academy kids next year, and Im sure the Swans are thinking that and ready to jump on an opportunity if it arises.

Edit.. and we won't be finishing 15th next year.. likely 4 or 5 spots better
I take that on board but reckon it’s better to enter the year with a firm plan in action to get those two SS Academy’s and not hope on players improving next year or trading out...if any of what u suggests happens - great bonus - but if not the ground is already well laid. 4 or 5 spots higher up the ladder makes more points we need to find.

SGBeach

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I take that on board but reckon it’s better to enter the year with a firm plan in action to get those two SS Academy’s and not hope on players improving next year or trading out...if any of what u suggests happens - great bonus - but if not the ground is already well laid. 4 or 5 spots higher up the ladder makes more points we need to find.
Yep.. Im sure there is a firm plan to get those kids, probably a plan to get an early pick in before the academy kids.
Just say we trade our 2019 p44 for a 2020 p44 because we need the points to match the academy kids.
that means we miss the opportunity p44 gives us this year, but are able to match the bids on The academy kids..
or..
We use p44 this year and get a player.. match the bids next year by having to use some points from 2021.

Basically the same result as far as getting the Academy kids.. The difference is, by the time 2021 points are used, we've been developing a player for two years.
Id rather that player now than in two years

Wolftone

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2012
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we got a future 22??? In the Jones deal. So this will be handy

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kiama Chris

All Australian
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
"I’ve been missing out on a lot back at home,” he said.
“My older brothers both have kids and I miss out on a lot of birthdays and those things.
“Coming home and seeing them not really knowing you was a reality check for me that maybe I do want to come home and spend more time in their lives.”

Totally fair there its just something we will forever be disadvantaged over if we keep drafting players with upbringings in Victoria, No matter how well run the club is.
I get the feeling that Zak has been upfront with the club all along whereas maybe it took Paps a while to make up his mind.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
76- ?
Flanders is a see-ball-kick-ball kid who I have no idea why is being rated as worthy of a top-ten pick. His impact wanes in and out of matches, doesn't possess any composure, awareness or polish, and is not particularly quick. Just racks up touches and is tall so can kick goals when forward. I'm sure he'd make a fine AFL player but I have no idea why this big bull is suddenly worthy of a top 5-10 pick but every other year they haven't been?

Top Bottom