List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
That's your opinion. I have seen power rankings that have him outside the top 3. Personally, I wouldn't have such a one dimensional player in the top 3.
In his game for the Allies against Vic Metro, to pick one that particularly highlighted his capabilities, he had 33 disposals, 17 of them contested, 9 clearances. When that is your one dimension, its a pretty good one.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
In his game for the Allies against Vic Metro, to pick one that particularly highlighted his capabilities, he had 33 disposals, 17 of them contested, 9 clearances. When that is your one dimension, its a pretty good one.
Agreed, he's good at winning contested ball.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Some commentators I recall reading did not even have campbell or gulden in their bests list at all.

I didn't think anyone really played consistently well in that match.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
They moved up in the draft order that’s a good thing isn’t it? Swapping picks 12 and 18 for 6 is a win. Pick 6 is more likely to be a star than 12 or 18.
Points are the only way the AFL can scale the draft and is meaningless other to place a notional value.
Not in this case. There was always going to be an early bid on their academy player, Green. Anywhere from 3-5 to which GWS would match. They would then need to find enough points to match that bid. Picks 12 & 18 represented more points than what pick 6 does.
In this scenario, it's all about points value, not the actual pick itself.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Why not?
I would assume if both clubs agree, and theres no draft tampering involved, then there is no problem.
Do you know of any examples of pick swaps that the AFL integrity unit have denied?
The AFL have made it clear that if they believe if their is collusion going on between clubs which is detrimental to the integrity of the draft that they will block such moves.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
The Dees very likely to bid on Green to improve their second pick by forcing GWS to take Green at 3 (allowing GWS only Green instead of Green + Jackson). Any possible deal for a pick swap would have to be very favourable for the Dees for them not to do that and miss out on Young. Even 6 + future first for 3 isn't that great given GWS pick will be at 18 next year.

Can GWS trade picks after they have been made? That would open up a whole lot of scenarios.
GWS/MEL swap 6 -3
GWS select Young at 3
Swans bid on Green at 5 - matched by GWS pick with 40 and deficit etc
GWS trade selection 3 (ie Young) and a future first for pick 6

Dees get Young + future first
GWS get Green at 5 and someone else at 6, probably Jackson
Clubs can't swap players once they have been selected. In your scenario if GWS select Young at 3, they are stuck with him.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
That's your opinion. I have seen power rankings that have him outside the top 3. Personally, I wouldn't have such a one dimensional player in the top 3.

I agree with #RobbieK. I would not be surprised at all if Melbourne make a bid on Green.
Conversely, if GWS are planning on improving on their pick 6 selection, Melbourne is the only team that they can deal with. No good doing a deal with Adelaide and moving up to pick 4 if Melbourne place the bid at 3.

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
If it is pick 3 they might
No they won’t. It just means another one of their other young midfielders will be traded out at the end of the year. It’s their business model...they want a 2nd top 10 pick and specifically Jackson....how they do it, I’m not sure, but they will give it their best shot.

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
One of GWS benchmarks would be to keep their List in front of the swans, given they were gifted so many free shots. This year is the 1st time ever the swans have a better hand than them (before live trading) GWS will be driven to at least match the swans if not better. (And yes no drafts value can be really measured until years later, but perception at the time is still very important. This is a Super critical draft for thE Swans. last two drafts Syd v GWS....

6DB89872-A19E-4F02-9725-6F259880E0CF.jpeg
8BA528A4-B4BF-42AE-AD79-80A37D9FBE31.jpeg

AAC3A937-6D93-4D12-BC2F-D838CB5F8EBB.jpeg
79B4226B-E9D5-47C5-942C-0FE773267D86.jpeg

Last edited:
No they won’t. It just means another one of their other young midfielders will be traded out at the end of the year. It’s their business model...they want a 2nd top 10 pick and specifically Jackson....how they do it, I’m not sure, but they will give it their best shot.

Or they might just take Jackson- you aren’t obligated to take your Academy kid

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Some commentators I recall reading did not even have campbell or gulden in their bests list at all.

I didn't think anyone really played consistently well in that match.
Rest assured that by this time next year the Vic media would have built Campbell and Gulden up as the best two draft prospects to come up in the last decade. The likes of Fat Eddie and the morons on the BF Main Board will then once again weep about the screaming injustice of our Academy.

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
Green is in the top 3. He’s a Canberra lad or regarded as one. GWS want to increase their exposure/emotional link to Canberra. He’s their best academy product, ever. They will take him, it’s just can they get another top 10 pick or thereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back