List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The swans will increase the offer... this is why we shipped off hanners and rohan last year... wer in too deep already
I see no reason why we would increase our offer. We are in the stronger bargaining position. If we don't get him this year we get him next year for less. The pressure is on Essendon to accept what they can get, not on us to up our already reasonable offer.

Last edited:

Reid and 9 should be enough
Daniher's not much better than Reid but at least Reid is finally fit.

Menzel is on a par with Daniher. They have eerily similar career stats over the 7 seasons they've played. Menzel is 2.5 yrs older but he appears to be fully fit. Despite the doubts on Menzel's forward pressure he still tackles more than Daniher. He's also a more efficient field kick.

So we should ask the question, would we have swapped Reid and 9 for Menzel ?

The Essendon board seems to think Leigh Montagna's proposal would work. 5,9 plus Reid or McCartin, and then we should pay Buddy type dollars to Daniher.

So they think we should give away pick 5, Papley (9) and say, McCartin and then stump up a huge contract for a player less reliable than Menzel but of a similar output. A player who may never set foot on the park again but in 12 months time will be an RFA, at which time we can get him without offering any trade and Essendon will take all the risk if he is cooked.

Not to forget that we don't really need a tall forward but we do need to bolster our midfield stocks.

Mmmmm....let me think. Tough one this...:think:

:eek:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Menzel is on a par with Daniher. They have eerily similar career stats over the 7 seasons they've played. Menzel is 2.5 yrs older but he appears to be fully fit. Despite the doubts on Menzel's forward pressure he still tackles more than Daniher. He's also a more efficient field kick.

Surely you can't be serious with this? Daniher is miles ahead of Menzel in value and is also clearly better than Reid when fit.

The Essendon board seems to think Leigh Montagna's proposal would work. 5,9 plus Reid or McCartin, and then we should pay Buddy type dollars to Daniher.

So they think we should give away pick 5, Papley (9) and say, McCartin and then stump up a huge contract for a player less reliable than Menzel but of a similar output. A player who may never set foot on the park again but in 12 months time will be an RFA, at which time we can get him without offering any trade and Essendon will take all the risk if he is cooked.

Not to forget that we don't really need a tall forward but we do need to bolster our midfield stocks.

Mmmmm....let me think. Tough one this...:think:

:eek:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tis a no?

Very good chance of this being Reid The Revived gap year bungee, his other stats so to speak - say so...

I'm actually wondering if we've even offered pick 5. We may have said "Give us a guarantee you'll do Daniher for 9 and 25, and we'll trade Papley to Carlton and get pick 9". Dalrymple was talking about pick 5 in his interview, and by then we must have known Daniher was looking to come to us. So it may be that we never planned to give it away under any circumstances.

That might be why the Papley deal hasn't gone through. We could be waiting on Essendon to say yes, otherwise we will keep Papley.

They want us to trade Paps first is what I think.
That way they can put us in a corner to cough up 5 & 9.
By holding off, we make both Blues & Bombers nrvous.
I think we arE in control here because I feel both the Swans & Danihers are prepared to get things done as a FA next year.
That's my assessment this too. We have offered 5 & 25 which the druggies have rejected (they want 5 & 9). We are holding off on the Papley trade because once we have pick 9 the druggies stance on this will firm. I'm expecting that the Papley trade is already scheduled to occur at the 11th hour. Hopefully Dorito blinks and the Daniher trade gets done just beforehand. Bloody Papley is screwing this trade period up for us. We should be telling the druggies that we are trading with the crime at noon tomorrow. After that, our offer becomes 9 & 25 and that 5 is 100% off the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was never going to play senior football in finals in 2012.

Due to injuries only played 8 games in the NEAFL and of those games two of them were for a half only after coming back from injury and another he lasted 10 minutes before going off injured.

No doubt you could see the talent, but it’s just plain wrong to say he was any where near our best 22 for finals that year, his first year with absolutely no pre-season

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Mitchell was fully match fit on grand final day 2014 and should have been in the team.

afl.com.au is reporting Lions are asking for a second for Lewis Taylor.

WHAT??? Jones is lock for best 22 and he is going to go for like pick 35 no way Lewis Taylor is worth more seeing as though he only played like 5 games in 2019......

afl.com.au is reporting Lions are asking for a second for Lewis Taylor.

WHAT??? Jones is lock for best 22 and he is going to go for like pick 35 no way Lewis Taylor is worth more seeing as though he only played like 5 games in 2019......
They are dreaming. He only played 5 AFL games for them this season, none after Round 12. You don't get a second round draft pick for someone who isn't in your best 22 and who is out of contract.

That's my assessment this too. We have offered 5 & 25 which the druggies have rejected (they want 5 & 9). We are holding off on the Papley trade because once we have pick 9 the druggies stance on this will firm. I'm expecting that the Papley trade is already scheduled to occur at the 11th hour. Hopefully Dorito blinks and the Daniher trade gets done just beforehand. Bloody Papley is screwing this trade period up for us. We should be telling the druggies that we are trading with the crime at noon tomorrow. After that, our offer becomes 9 & 25 and that 5 is 100% off the table.

So I am guessing/hoping that our intimate knowledge of the Daniher (& family) situation with the Bombers is that they know that perhaps young Joe has reached the point of no return & things could get ugly should he stay for season 2020. Yeah he's professional & all that but there will be no "falling in love again" with the Bombers if in fact something happened there that made him fall out of love in the first place.

I am confident that the Swans have known what they are doing & who & what they have been prepared to give up.
We haven't just reached this point suddenly & thought, oh hell, geez this Dodoro is a hard arsed prick to deal with.
We knew we would be at this point & it is for that reason Papley is still our player as we speak.
Interesting couple of days ahead.

Then the more cynical side of me thinks (I don't actually believe this though) that all deals have been done amicably already, but the AFL, wanting to prolong the drama, have asked all parties to stretch the trades out until the last minute in order to keep the public interested until the very end.
Could you imagine if Paps was done day one & Daniher day two? What a boring week & a half to follow.
Just a couple of thoughts.

They are dreaming. He only played 5 AFL games for them this season, none after Round 12. You don't get a second round draft pick for someone who isn't in your best 22 and who is out of contract.
Its as though everyone knows we suck at trading and that we will cave- so we get screwed on all deals.

Honestly we should go after Free Agents only - we seems to screw everything else up.

So I am guessing/hoping that our intimate knowledge of the Daniher (& family) situation with the Bombers is that they know that perhaps young Joe has reached the point of no return & things could get ugly should he stay for season 2020. Yeah he's professional & all that but there will be no "falling in love again" with the Bombers if in fact something happened there that made him fall out of love in the first place.

I am confident that the Swans have known what they are doing & who & what they have been prepared to give up.
We haven't just reached this point suddenly & thought, oh hell, geez this Dodoro is a hard arsed prick to deal with.
We knew we would be at this point & it is for that reason Papley is still our player as we speak.
Interesting couple of days ahead.

Then the more cynical side of me thinks (I don't actually believe this though) that all deals have been done amicably already, but the AFL, wanting to prolong the drama, have asked all parties to stretch the trades out until the last minute in order to keep the public interested until the very end.
Could you imagine if Paps was done day one & Daniher day two? What a boring week & a half to follow.
Just a couple of thoughts.
Definitely agree with your first point (not so much your second 😉). The Swans must have been ready for Dodoro’s tactics and would have a plan in place. I’m confident that they are ready for this deal to go down to the wire and have a maximum amount that they are prepared to give away in mind (whether we all agree with that maximum is another point entirely).

Last edited:
Its as though everyone knows we suck at trading and that we will cave- so we get screwed on all deals.

Honestly we should go after Free Agents only - we seems to screw everything else up.

I see this repeated often. I don't buy it. Other than the Mitchell trade, where have we caved and got screwed over?

F
F them. Future 1st and 25. We hit this draft, we need to if Papley and Jones go.

If they’d stayed I have maybe given our 2019 first. Losing them (Papley really) stalls our progress but at least a year so we go to draft again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back