List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s always worth it, there’s a weather jealousy as this Mexico ain’t no true Mexico!
Hahaha. My missus and I were in Melbourne a few months back and didn't realise we left the free tram zone. Got pulled up by a ticket inspector who asked where we were from. He said "well you guys have the weather, and..." then just gave us a look of pity and let us off without a fine.

I think we're right (for once) to not adopt it again. Pretty sure there's evidence to suggest daylight savings only decreases productivity.

I try to come in to work to get a bit done before the day starts and the phones going at 7:30 then at 4 :00 can't reach anyone. Anyway enough derailing by me.

Not sure what happened to Mason Wood as we were linked there for a bit. Big day for the Swans could be a history making moment for the club and still a lot to get done before deadline. Daniher, Jones, Papley, Taylor and whoever else comes up as a surprise departure or welcome to the Swans. One more sleep yay.

practically dead in the water as the trade period lurches into its last day.

The Swans and Essendon are so far apart on a Daniher deal it would take an extraordinary change of principle from either team for the trade to go through by Wednesday’s 7.30pm deadline.

The Herald Sun understands Sydney’s No. 5 pick has not been offered to Essendon in any potential deal, despite reports that it has.

The Swans’ best offer is pick No. 9, which they hope to secure for Tom Papley in a swap with Carlton, and its second round pick No. 25.

Essendon’s asking price is believed to be two first-round selections as well as a star such as Luke Parker, or Nick Blakey or Isaac Heeney, which the Swans will not consider.

The Bombers point blank refuse to weaken their playing list by trading 25-year-old Daniher for draft picks.

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell, who is understood to have spoken to Daniher since his request for a trade, told the Herald Sun on Tuesday the club was not “prepared to undermine” it’s list management..

“We understand and respect Joe’s position, but we are not prepared to undermine our list management strategy and will not be trading a player and person of Joe’s quality unless we are satisfied the club is not in a worse position,” Campbell said.

“We don’t think that is an unreasonable position for the club take with a contracted player.”

Wednesday will be a watershed day for both the Swans and the Bombers.
The Swans rarely fail to secure a targeted player and presumably have offered Daniher a long-term deal.
But their commitment to the big forward would be seen as a huge embarrassment if they could not work close a deal.
Essendon’s list build following the drugs supplement scandal has been co-ordinated by Campbell and Adrian Dodoro, the general manager of list and recruiting, and has centred around Daniher as the key forward.

He was one of several players who helped entice Dylan Shiel to the club at the end of 2018.
They can’t now allow him to walk away fully fit with a year to run on his contract for a trade that weakens their chances of playing finals football next year.
Dodoro, the long-time Bombers deal maker, will be central to talks and will refuse to yield on Daniher unless the Swans come with a deal one person familiar with the situation called a trade to “knock your socks off’”.

He believes that if they keep a fit Daniher and he produces next year, the club can sway him to sign a long-term contract. He is currently contracted for the 2020 season.

Externally, some media people say Dodoro is a difficult person to deal with.

Internally, Essendon believes Dodoro is an outstanding operator who is acting in the best interests of the club.
If Dodoro bows down to Sydney on Daniher, it would continue to drive the public narrative the Bombers are a mediocre football club who, this time, can’t keep its best player.
Last year, he secured Shiel with an offer of two first-round draft selections to Greater Western Sydney.
He believes a similar deal — with a player — is required for Daniher
“We’ve made it perfectly clear in regards to Joe that our intention is to keep him,” Dodoro said on Monday.

“We’re working really hard to make sure that’s the case.”
“Our position hasn’t changed. We don’t think this draft will replace a guy of Joey’s ilk — 203cm, a gun key forward, they’re just so hard to find.”
Daniher, who has played just 11 games in two injury-hit seasons, is believed to be still overseas.
Thanks for the summary.

Very difficult for the Bloods Boffins to replicate trade week 2009 now.
Suns and giants have since hatched.
Less to go around.

You don’t read the media and believe it do you Masey?

2 Academy kids, supposedly high in draft (on potential this year), will still need a 1st rounder though, that’s where the points are. I agree you need the 2nd rounders but they only supplement. If we rate them that highly, you take one with your 1st and fill for your 2nd. You’re not getting 2 potential 1st rounders with 2nd round points so why trade that future 1st?
Don't forget the discount.

Its now or never for daniher. If hes fit next year,he will be 50+ goal kicker and feelimg better than he has in 2 years. Family will be into him..if the deal doesnt get done (i think it will) he will sign long term with the bombers

Hannah Montagna of sinners cloth suggested the Dee's pick 8 for Paps.
No mention of anything else going back either. Such as some second round pick, as mooted by other mindless Melbourne media minions.
Still, we do have more thirds than a hobbit has and Melbourne do currently carry only selections 3 and 8 (garden gate) into draft day.
So, potentially pick swaps could come forth, if they the Dee's fancied a plumber plying his trade forward 50 for them...

Positive pressure proposing by accident no doubt, from a Melbourne media mouthpiece type for a change.

Its now or never for daniher. If hes fit next year,he will be 50+ goal kicker and feelimg better than he has in 2 years. Family will be into him..if the deal doesnt get done (i think it will) he will sign long term with the bombers

Fine by me if he does that and resigns. We shouldn't mortgage our future on a bloke coming off 2 years where he's barely played. Going to take more than "he should be fine by round 1" to convince me otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fine by me if he does that and resigns. We shouldn't mortgage our future on a bloke coming off 2 years where he's barely played. Going to take more than "he should be fine by round 1" to convince me otherwise.
Each to their own..some are willing for the club to take the risk and its a huge risk, and some arent...not sure what will create more of a stir round here? The trade happens or falls through

Each to their own..some are willing for the club to take the risk and its a huge risk, and some arent...not sure what will create more of a stir round here? The trade happens or falls through

I guess it would depend on the price. For 9&25 I’d be content with the gamble. For 5&9 I wouldn’t.

I’ll be cracking a beer if it doesn’t go through.

I reckon this has come up one year too early in our rebuilding, if Daniher doesn’t get spotted I’m sure we’re sitting on our hands this trade period and banking some high end talent in the draft.

Imagine, 5+8/9 this year, 2 academy boys next year + Daniher via RFA, just as Buddy’s salary drops down. I’m sure that was the plan.

Two picks top ten I'm hoping isn't guaranteed- I'm still of the belief that a Papley contracted for four years at significant unders is probably worth more than a pick 9 in a 'weak' draft. I'm hoping that Papley only goes if Daniher does come in- and I'm not all that convinced I want Daniher in. Anything more than two top ten picks would be crazy overs. Two top ten picks is already overs.

If you check out the swans latest Facebook post. It's almost inclining that the deal will get done, otherwise to post something like that and not getting it done will disappoint supporters. IMO we know what Essendon are willing to accept and it's probably not as hard ball as what were led to believe. Probably just really pushing our 'low' offer of 9 and 25 so they don't try to pry anything more than our pick 5 off us. I think pick 5 and 25 will get it done in the last 5 minutes.

Have a read of the comments. 😆 There won't be too much disappointment I don't think. ;)

(But yeah, it seems to hint they like their chances of landing him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back