List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate of mine told me something pretty amazing today. The two most recent dual Norm Smith Medalists and players who have sorta become synonymous with September footy in Martin and Hodge had some serious finals-related droughts.

Hodge played 112 games before his first final win. Even worse reading for Martin.. he had to wait 175 games before his first final win!

Unreal numbers

👍🏽 So how do Swans trade up pick 25 into the teens and which club would be willing & wanting? (Next years 1st maybe as carrot?)

Future first +25 for Melbourne's pick 8? Or is that too optimistic?

Buckleys.

Dees got two top 10 picks for a reason, they're not gonna give one away.

Worth a shot. I'd rather keep pick 5, and then use our second plus next year's first to trade up to a mid first this year, wonder if St Kilda would be an option then?

If we have another year like this one we could be giving away a top 5 pick + 25 for 8 this year. That would be a disaster.

That is the worst case, but its an incredibly bad trade anyway. Even if we won a flag we'd still lose out badly on value.

On points value, pick 8 is worth 1551.

Pick 25 is worth 756, leaving 795 points (Pick 24). In other words, we're selling our first rounder next year for the equivalent of pick 24. That is a bad, bad, bad, bad trade.

Worth a shot. I'd rather keep pick 5, and then use our second plus next year's first to trade up to a mid first this year, wonder if St Kilda would be an option then?
our future first may end up anything from p3 - p14. too big a gamble to trade it
p25 is a good pick in this years draft - lets keep it too
the only trade i see worth while is 32 + 44 for freos p22. In saying that, p32 is a good pick and we.ve had success with picks around 40 in the past (Parker, Goodes) so more than happy to not trade

our future first may end up anything from p3 - p14. too big a gamble to trade it
p25 is a good pick in this years draft - lets keep it too
the only trade i see worth while is 32 + 44 for freos p22. In saying that, p32 is a good pick and we.ve had success with picks around 40 in the past (Parker, Goodes) so more than happy to not trade

I just don't want to use pick 5 on a ruckman! That would scare the living daylights out of me and give us never ending horrors

Go for Nick Bryan if we are getting a ruckman

He's got a fair bit to work with and would be a safe long-term project I reckon

I just don't want to use pick 5 on a ruckman! That would scare the living daylights out of me and give us never ending horrors

We'll try to find you a Premature Ruck Draft Pick Support Group if it pans out that way.

But I really don't think it will. He's a highly-rated young ruck prospect but I'd still be staggered if any clubs with a pick inside the top 6-8 took him, knowing that rucks take time to develop and that they could instead use that pick on an elite junior mid or flanker. There's also no evidence to suggest he's being seriously considered as a top five talent, other than appearing on afl.com as the first of their usual profiles on all the top 20 or so prospects leading up to the draft.

IMO ball use is everything, both in tight and in space. I reckon that's what made GWS so rattled on grand final day, they came up against an opponent who would not give them an inch in terms of making big errors or giving them leeway with sloppy execution. It was near perfect from Richmond and I think that put greater pressure on their opponents than any tackle or defensive act could.

Kemp or Young for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget it. Papley was our chance to get into the top 10. We’ve got no chance now.
We need to focus on somehow getting a 3rd pick inside 25 without using futures, it’s a tall ask.

Edit - I wouldn’t use our first for 2020. It might end up being before an academy bid. Imagine that. We could end up with three 1st round players.

Last edited:
Forget it. Papley was our chance to get into the top 10. We’ve got no chance now.
We need to focus on somehow getting a 3rd pick inside 25 without using futures, it’s a tall ask.

To be honest, it sounds like in this draft there isn't much to split players once you get into the second round. I don't think we will take more than 3 players, so the question is if we make that last selection at 32 or can push that pick in to the early 20s with the last pick at 25. It's not a big difference.

Unless there are very specific players we are after and we think that makes a difference in getting them or not, then I think it makes more sense to use the best three picks we currently have and see if a team that has little presence in the first couple of rounds (of which there are a few, like Collingwood, St Kilda and West Coast) would want to give us something in the 2020 draft for pick 44. We wouldn't even use that pick this year, but having an extra second or third round pick is useful next year for making sure we have picks to cover bids for Campbell and Gulden.

would love to get Gould, but i rekon Port have hedged their bets at 12 and 18. Wonder what Hawthorn would do for 11, oe what their status is for next years first.

Can someone explain to me why that story is on the team's official website? The Swans aren't mentioned once in it. Surely it has been misplaced and belongs on afl.com.au?
Just filling space while nothing is happening at the Swans. Reckon we've copied draft profiles from the AFL website in the past. No one at the Swans media has any idea on who we are targeting, these things are know to very few people, so relax, we're not getting a ruckman with pick 5!

Can someone explain to me why that story is on the team's official website? The Swans aren't mentioned once in it. Surely it has been misplaced and belongs on afl.com.au?

Don’t the afl run and own the club sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back