List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to hear the draft guy on AFL yesterday saying Will Gould will be likely taken in 20s now. That'd have to be tempting if he drops to us...how old is Rampe? We'd have to grab him, especially if we managed to get Flanders with our first pick. Also played in middle at times this year. Alas will probably go just before our pick...

That's the range I'd be content in taking him imo.

Gray actually played his best footy in thr forward pocket when the other Grey was injured. He kicked his multiple goals from either HF or forward pocket.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can I respectfully disagree. He played his best football on ball where he was getting 30+ disposals and a bunch of clearances. Didn't get midfield opportunities for some reason too often but when he did was extremely good. A lot of Port fans were disappointed he was pigeon holed as a forward when he wasn't one.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Luckily Melbourne will take Young anyway in all likelihood but yes him.Whenever I see Young I see huge queries especially early. Just don’t like utilities with early selections.
We make utilities out of every player, except Bud. Hey you're at FF aren't you? Yeah Horse. Well go and play FB this quarter lol. We don't draft mids we draft potential workhorses who have to do it all. The sooner we draft a mid that can win centre bounce clearances the better. Then we might not have to play this energy sapping attack from defence type of footy.

We make utilities out of every player, except Bud. Hey you're at FF aren't you? Yeah Horse. Well go and play FB this quarter lol. We don't draft mids we draft potential workhorses who have to do it all. The sooner we draft a mid that can win centre bounce clearances the better. Then we might not have to play this energy sapping attack from defence type of footy.

Don't get me started on this but you are 100% correct. Don't forget the moving Reid to defence after he kicked 3 in a quarter lol

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He'd only be a utility if we made him one (there's a very good chance we would, knowing Horse.)

But if we settled on a position for Young I genuinely think he'd nail it. Whether it's a HB flanker (I think we'd finally get the flanker we've been chasing with Young) or playing in the guts as a ball-winner with break away pace and elite ball use, or playing on the wing where he can provide outside run and set up plays with his creative play. He'd nail any of these roles IMO, it would just be up to us what we do with him.
We had another Young of immense talent some years ago, David. Unfortunately we were broke and couldn't afford him so he went to the Labotomies.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
So, you believe a player who plays a bit here, a bit there and then somewhere else again are not worthy of an early pick. I assume from that then that you thought Heeney was only worth a second round pick? Same could be said of Bomtempelli.
Clubs can make utilities of midfielders or they can make utilities into midfielders. A player who can get the pill and use it well in multiple positions offers more options than one who has only played in one area.
I agree totally. Crikey, if a player can play top footy in a number of positions then he is of immense value

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
It's all hypothetical until we know, but who we take will indicate what we are seeing as a priority. If we take Kemp, despite his ACL, we're clearly prioritising composure and class. If we take Green, we're clearly prioritising toughness and attack on the footy. If we take Serong or Flanders, we're clearly prioritising multi-faceted mids who could play forward. And if we take Young, we're clearly prioritising creative ball use.

So it may be that we look for what a player can bring to the team, more so than just looking for a player to fill a role that we're lacking.
Again I agree totally. A player who gives us more attacking power through great ball use is far better than a bull who butchers

Again I agree totally. A player who gives us more attacking power through great ball use is far better than a bull who butchers

Surely with a top 6 pick (and we might get one next year too) we need to address the key issue though- replacing JPK. Parker won't go on forever either. Ideally we get a silky smooth mid, unfortunately looks like they go top 2. Can still get a good one.

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
GoldCoast running into cap issues I believe and with picks 1 to 20 on a higher starting contract, And currently with 4 picks in that top bracket, it might be in their interest to drop back a few pegs. Would u swap picks 25 and 44 for their pick 20 and (maybe a future 3rd or 4th to make up the difference or maybe not?)
No takers.....well I’ll take it even further. Due to Afl concessions, GC’s future 3rd and 4th Rd picks aren’t going to mean as much to them but no doubt GC will try to realise their worth. Hence I expect they will trade away these picks to those who might need them (with a benefit to them of course). Swans with Guilden and Campbell fit that criteria. Another scenario to the above is for the swans to exchange 25 & 32 for this years Pick 20 and future 3rd and 4ths for points accumulation. Leave us with 5, 20, 44 and 2 or 3 Additional future 3rd/4th rd picks...?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Well you gave me a reading task.

I like the sound of Sharp/Rivers (both likely gone by 25?) and Byrnes - seems there are some decent picks to be had in this range this year. None of these guys sound like "reaches" to me in terms of getting to an AFL level physically and skills wise. They seem like have solid potential, with no obvious flaws often found after low 20s (Can't kick for :poo: , or weighs 64 kg etc)

I'd hate us to pick an injured "utility player" at pick 5 though. Hoping for Flanders due to speed and body size, but expect him to be gone.

Surprised to read about this guy - given the darth of KPF in this year's draft. The ones listed in early 30s sound like duds to me, so why is this guy ranked 50? Long development time perhaps?
#50 Charlie Comben
Gippsland Power/Vic Country | Forward/Ruck
20/07/2001 | 199cm | 84kg

A versatile player who could well end up as a key forward and second ruck, Comben is capable of playing either role to a high standard. His ruck craft itself is good, and his second efforts at ground level such as laying a follow-up tackle or providing a block or shepherd is impressive. He can float forward and lead out of the goalsquare with sticky hands and an ability to crash a pack if needed. He has had his fair share of injuries over the journey so is arguably a tad behind on his development. But the fact he has come such a long way in his top-age year means Comben has plenty of upside for the future and is one who clubs can look to for the long term if they are after a bigger body up forward who can play that second ruck role to a t. Could be the second ruck picked in the AFL Draft, depending on how clubs view his progress against Bryan’s and what they are looking for, but we have him here due to his versatility and greater consistency over the season, as well as impact at the Under-18 National Championships for Vic Country.

Interesting to hear the draft guy on AFL yesterday saying Will Gould will be likely taken in 20s now. That'd have to be tempting if he drops to us...how old is Rampe? We'd have to grab him, especially if we managed to get Flanders with our first pick. Also played in middle at times this year. Alas will probably go just before our pick...

Well done a bit of reading and a decent amount of watching with champs as carnival not as accessible.

Kemp I want as a long term project. ACL is concern but would be ideal to add to our midfield mix. As I have previously said, reminds me of a fwd version of Goddard.

Sharp and Rivers will likely be gone but with the uncertainty around the top 25 or so anything could happen.

Byrnes, really like. No idea why. Just a pure football type with a very good 5-10 first few steps to break away.

Comben is raw. Maybe not as athletic as other ruck types but has done the job solidly.

Gould if is available at 20 or so would definitely have to trade up for.

Is ridiculously open draft

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Was funny listening to Twomey on here when someone asks who does he think Sydney will pick. And Twomey is like...Sydney are giving me nothin. Lolz

Why are the Cats even bothering to go to the draft this year? Because they have to. The AFL rules state you Cs only use two first round and two future picks on trades. Otherwise the Cats would be trading in players on their unlimited salary cap.

Surely with a top 6 pick (and we might get one next year too) we need to address the key issue though- replacing JPK. Parker won't go on forever either. Ideally we get a silky smooth mid, unfortunately looks like they go top 2. Can still get a good one.

Yeah, his name's Kemp and he's a top 3 talent who we are blessed should slide to our pick!

Yeah, his name's Kemp and he's a top 3 talent who we are blessed should slide to our pick!

More than comfortable with him. It’s the utility I don’t want at all- well not at pick 5/6

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
More than comfortable with him. It’s the utility I don’t want at all- well not at pick 5/6

Isn’t Kemp technically a utility though??

Played in defence for a part of his time in NAB and a bit up forward as well as of course midfield.

(I personally don’t have an issue with flexible players)

Played in defence for a part of his time in NAB and a bit up forward as well as of course midfield.

Kemp is not my number 1 choice, I’d be comfortable though.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC

Yes and no.

VC played him at CHB mainly due to height. Played very well in mids last two games of champs. VC had limit defensive talls outside of De Koning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back