List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done a bit of reading and a decent amount of watching with champs as carnival not as accessible.

Kemp I want as a long term project. ACL is concern but would be ideal to add to our midfield mix. As I have previously said, reminds me of a fwd version of Goddard.

Sharp and Rivers will likely be gone but with the uncertainty around the top 25 or so anything could happen.

Byrnes, really like. No idea why. Just a pure football type with a very good 5-10 first few steps to break away.

Comben is raw. Maybe not as athletic as other ruck types but has done the job solidly.

Gould if is available at 20 or so would definitely have to trade up for.

Is ridiculously open draft
Would rather Cooper Stephens as our second pick if he is still available.

Would rather Cooper Stephens as our second pick if he is still available.

Do not mind him either.

Reckon he will be picked up just before our pick. Could throw a blanket over 15 - 40 as it stands at the moment with players in the category able to slide 15 positions either way.

Tall mid who can play a few other spots if absolutely needed. Wouldn’t be my no1 option but he’s fine
May I ask who would be your first pick?

Kemp is the definition of a utility. Good size & mobility that he can play a key position role but is also small enough to play on the smaller roles. During his youth he's been thrown around everywhere on the ground and has been above average when played as a CHB, midfielder or in attack. That's about as utility like as you can get - what he develops into is another thing. Hell Mills was drafted as an inside mid, while Leo Barry, Heath Grundy & Ted Richards were all forwards. Wouldn't get too caught up on position labels.

Kemp is the definition of a utility. Good size & mobility that he can play a key position role but is also small enough to play on the smaller roles. During his youth he's been thrown around everywhere on the ground and has been above average when played as a CHB, midfielder or in attack. That's about as utility like as you can get - what he develops into is another thing. Hell Mills was drafted as an inside mid, while Leo Barry, Heath Grundy & Ted Richards were all forwards. Wouldn't get too caught up on position labels.

At times this year when Blakey would do something really clever off half forward, or Dawson would nail a long kick off half back, and I'd think "gee I wish we could clone him and put him in the midfield".

Well, no better solution in this draft than Kemp. He's 192 already and would give us a rotation of three 190cm+ blokes with elite decision making between the arcs.

"Keep a lid on it"
"Don't get ahead of yourselves"
"One game at a time"

Which first years recruits have had an impact at Swans?

Hannebury!
Blakey did reasonably good

Others..... bits and pieces (McVeigh took years and years)

Who else? Who have I forgotten.

The win so far is building depth to put pressure on getting a spot!

Edit : PS Surely any of the touted top 10 who want to be a Swan will be a welcome boon

Luckily Melbourne will take Young anyway in all likelihood but yes him.Whenever I see Young I see huge queries especially early. Just don’t like utilities with early selections.

Every school kid is a utility. An 18 year old who can only play one position forevermore won’t be playing long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every school kid is a utility. An 18 year old who can only play one position forevermore won’t be playing long

Very true.

It's part of the reason standard of footy is crap as well IMO. Nobody follows the KISS method much these days..

Last edited:
I don't know why Darcy Chirgwin is getting so little mention both here and elsewhere. To me he is clearly one of the better mids in this year's draft. For his height (he's 192 IIRC) he is composed in traffic and has a bit of class about him, but also not afraid to have a crack and get at the bottom of the pack. No doubt it would be considered a "reach" if we used our pick 25 on him, or even our 32, but to me he would be a worthy second round.

Also anyone out there as impressed by Tyler Sonsie as I was? One for the 2021 draft but he's a year younger than Campbell & Gulden and shown just as much if not more IMO. Looks the most natural footballer at sixteen that I've seen in some time, not that we'll have to worry as we won't be able to get him anyway with pick 18 in that year's draft.

I don't know why Darcy Chirgwin is getting so little mention both here and elsewhere. To me he is clearly one of the better mids in this year's draft. For his height (he's 192 IIRC) he is composed in traffic and has a bit of class about him, but also not afraid to have a crack and get at the bottom of the pack. No doubt it would be considered a "reach" if we used our pick 25 on him, or even our 32, but to me he would be a worthy second round.

Also anyone out there as impressed by Tyler Sonsie as I was? One for the 2021 draft but he's a year younger than Campbell & Gulden and shown just as much if not more IMO. Looks the most natural footballer at sixteen that I've seen in some time, not that we'll have to worry as we won't be able to get him anyway with pick 18 in that year's draft.
Do you have a kid in the age group? Or are you in the age group? The reason he's getting so little mention is cause we've never eard' of him. :p
Plenty of positive comments on this page if you 'Control, F' Darcy and hit the down button to read each mention - game reviews etc.

This Carlton fan certainly likes him - Might be worth a reach, or trying to trade up from 44 to 36 or so...Interesting this bloke reckons there are plenty of inside mids in the range this year. (They are discussing candidates for pick 43 - useful for us really)

The amount of insides in that second round might mean we do actually go Jackson at 5/6
Interesting (high risk) option. Overpay for a ruck cause we can underpay to pick up two good mids. If that happens I really hope we upgrade 44 somehow to grab two in the 30s such as Rantall and Chirgwin.
You'd think this route might be an option if the picks they rate the highest at 5 is off the board. (Green/Flanders for example)
A reversing of the typical order.
Jackson - Gould - Rantall - Chirgwin
So crazy it just might work?

Interesting (high risk) option. Overpay for a ruck cause we can underpay to pick up two good mids. If that happens I really hope we upgrade 44 somehow to grab two in the 30s such as Rantall and Chirgwin.
You'd think this route might be an option if the picks they rate the highest at 5 is off the board. (Green/Flanders for example)
A reversing of the typical order.
Jackson - Gould - Rantall - Chirgwin
So crazy it just might work?
Gould isn't going to be available for our second pick. His performances at SANFL level are too good, even with his crappy combine testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back