List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but won't be as good as Robertson. We won't even get Cooper Stephens with our second round pick so by pick 25 we will be looking at perhaps the 4th best inside mid in the draft.

Use our second and a Future second to upgrade if need be. Trust Darymple he’s a master at this

Isn't this list more or less spot on every year? Or does he release one on the morning?
If this is the spot on one it means we can get Kemp and Cooper Stephens by trading our 5 and 32 for Port's 13 and 17.
I'm all in on that idea.
Generally Twomey is pretty average or below at getting the draft right. Emma Quayle usually beat him hands down.

Hi Lads,
Sorry to intrude - I've been playing with my R1 & R2 mock for the past fortnight and really like where you guys have picks this year. Would you be happy with your selections if it played out like this? (Flanders, C. Stephens & Dow)
#1 - Gold Coast - Matt Rowell
#2 - Gold Coast - Noah Anderson
#3 - Melbourne - Luke Jackson
#4 - GWS - Lachie Ash
#5 - GWS (Matched Bid) - Tom Green
#6 - Sydney - Sam Flanders
#7 - Adelaide - Fischer McAsey
#8 - Fremantle - Hayden Young
#9 - Fremantle - Deven Robertson
#10 - Carlton - Dylan Stephens
#11 - Fremantle (Matched Bid) - Liam Henry
#12 - Melbourne - Kysaiah Pickett
#13 - Hawthorn - Brodie Kemp
#14 - Port - Caleb Serong
#15 - Bulldogs - Cody Weightman
#16 - Geelong - Miles Bergman
#17 - Gold Coast - Will Day
#18 - Port - Josh Worell
#19 - Geelong - Sam De Koning
#20 - Port - Trent Bianco
#21 - Richmond - Trent Rivers
#22 - Gold Coast - Will Gould
#23 - Brisbane - Jay Rantall
#24 - Adelaide - Harrison Jones
#25 - Adelaide - Harry Schoenberg
#26 - Hawthorn (Matched Bid) - Finn Maginess
#27 - Geelong - Cam Taheny
#28 - Port (Matched Bid) - Jackson Mead
#29 - Sydney - Cooper Stephens
#30 - Kangaroos - Dylan Williams
#31 - Kangaroos - Mitch O'Neill
#32 - Melbourne - Darcy Chirgwin
#33 - Brisbane - Jeremy Sharp
#34 - Kangaroos - Karl Finlay
#35 - Essendon - Mitch Georgiadis
#36 - Sydney - Thomson Dow
#37 - Essendon - Hugo Ralph-Smith
#38 - Brisbane - Luke Partington
#39 - Collingwood - Jake Riccardi
#40 - Geelong - Ryan Byrnes
#41 - Adelaide - Nick Bryan
#42 - Richmond - Elijah Taylor
#43 - Richmond - Emerson Jeka

He answers a question of fact with an apparently correct answer yet you want to attempt to ridicule him because he can't be original.
Asking why he re-posts his analysis-free negativity when it's already been addressed isn't an attempt to ridicule.

It’s funny how so many of “us” can have such strong views based on a 3 minute highlights package. The apparent meltdowns, cringing, and toy tossing that will happen after a seasoned, proven professional in Dalrymple makes our choice will be quite entertaining.
Once the decisions are made I never quibble. They are now, Swans players and they deserve to be given every opportunity to flourish. The fans then need to settle down and go along for the ride.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Once the decisions are made I never quibble. They are now, Swans players and they deserve to be given every opportunity to flourish. The fans then need to settle down and go along for the ride.

Whomever the Seans pick I will hope like hell they turn out to be amazing but just because the Swans pick them does not mean I will necessarily agree they were the best option. I though Ling was a massive reach 2 years ago and even though I was not in favour of the decision to pick him over others I still very much wanted him to succeed.

Whomever the Seans pick I will hope like hell they turn out to be amazing but just because the Swans pick them does not mean I will necessarily agree they were the best option. I though Ling was a massive reach 2 years ago and even though I was not in favour of the decision to pick him over others I still very much wanted him to succeed.
That's fine. Everyone had their own opinion. Just add long as that player doesn't get ragged on straight away. It's not the players fault the club chose him.

Examples of this are?
Mills?

Florent was drafted as a mid and is playing as a mid. Hayward was drafted as a forward and is playing as a forward. Dawson was drafted as a forward, can contribute (to the team’s benefit) in any position.
McCartin was drafted as a forward and whilst had filled in down back, they are still training him as a forward. Rowbottom settled to AFL as a half forward but has quickly joined the mids.

This idea that Horse plays players way out of position to the detriment of the team (which when you think about it, is quite laughable) is a bit of a furphy.

Perhaps the coaches are best placed to determine where a player is likely to contribute considering they get to see them against their peers through the week (Mills?)... certainly the view that they are putting players in positions that make the team worse is pretty ridiculous...
Longmire always starts the mids on the forward flank on their first season. Hewett, Heeney (still playing there), Rowbottom (would not have played mids if there were not injuries and Heens carrying one), Ronke (actually came as a wonger/mid), Mitchell also played forward.

Longmire prefers to blood his mids at half forward. Don't know why. Rowbottom is crap at half forward but sensational in the middle of it all. George is the best mid we have atm. Heeney and Mills will be great no matter where they play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That nearly always happens when the momentum has swung in the midfield and we are trying to hold on either at the end of a quarter or the game - which is just basic coaching.
It might be basic coaching but it is also negative coaching and can have the opposite effect than was meant. In one game this year Reid was sensational. He kicked 2.1 in less than ten minutes. He was hot. Suddenly he's in defence. They kicked 5-6 goals with him in defence. All they did was avoid him and kick to space as we were playing a zone. Absutely shocking. We lost the game of course. Could not get momentum back.

Once you go negative you are a good chance to lose. If you continue to attack, while ensurung the gaps are plugged in the mids, you have more chance. See Richmond. They NEVER go totally defensive and they NEVER * up their set plays by moving the prime target to defence. How often are Riewoldt or Lynch seen in defence? I rest my case.

So the Giants finish 2nd, keep Coniglio, and they still get two top 10 picks.

Bloody hell this comp is compromised.

We finished second and got Callum Mills the exact same way.

They also traded up for their second pick and have no first round next year.

Think a few of us are the pot calling the kettle black here.

Flanders.....don’t see it...poor mans martin

sam Thorne has to be a chance with the swans last pick..

100% disagree on Flanders. Has the ability to create space and is very sound with his disposal. Can also start forward which means he can play next year

Pretty sure it was the opposite. Did not play in the first Grand Final because of injury but did play in the following because the extra week meant he was fit. Could be wrong but my point still stands that team success is a terrible way of judging an individual player.
He did not play in the Premiership. But was awarded a medal because he played in the drawn GF

100% disagree on Flanders. Has the ability to create space and is very sound with his disposal. Can also start forward which means he can play next year

We don't need another forward. We have Buddy, Blakey, Papley, McCartin, Hayward, Ronke and Heaney given that Longmire insists on playing him forward. Our forward line does not need improvement right now, and if he isn't needed as a forward what is the point of getting Flanders as his ability in the midfield has not been proven.

We don't need another forward. We have Buddy, Blakey, Papley, McCartin, Hayward, Ronke and Heaney given that Longmire insists on playing him forward. Our forward line does not need improvement right now, and if he isn't needed as a forward what is the point of getting Flanders as his ability in the midfield has not been proven.

I never said he was a only a forward all I said is he can start there. Flanders has more than done enough as a mid, he’s just versatile enough to play a few roles

A bit rough seeing he spent the whole of last season out with a broken leg

Yes but those stats include that missed season. His most successful team football is with the Swans.
He has every chance ti get some team success going forward but it has escaped him in the two years of the three he has played as a Hawk. The Swans as a team gave him the opportunity to play in a GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back