List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with being one dimensional if you are very good at that one thing. No one was saying "you know I like Ted Richards, but I wish he could play as a winger sometimes"

A key position player to wing? That’s a pretty ordinary example. If you said up forward for Ted, well he did that towards the end of his career on occasion (and at the start).

I also didn’t say there was much wrong with it, just noted that would be why he probably wouldn’t go quite as high as others.

Not if we back ourselves to finish 6th to 10th while the team we deal with thinks it will be much lower & also not if we have identified a player we want that may be gone by pick 25 but just throwing out some scenarios.

Still an awful deal. 10th next year when we’ve given up our first (likely to be live before Gulden’s match). 10th is on the generous side too whilst we should improve that may not transfer to ladder positions.

Use our second this year and a future second it’s the same thing. If they don’t bite so be it just take our picks and be happy. No need to give up our future first

I think they did, but I also think we did not seriously negotiate with them. We could have gotten pick 9 on its own if we really wanted to.

I haven’t seen any evidence that they offered pick 9 with no other exchange.

(For the record I would have taken that if they did)

People forget that Robertson also won the best player of the U18 Championships too, which to me says he is being underrated in quite a few phantom drafts and power rankings.

Just guessing but I’d say that unintentional bias exists in those phantom drafts. Those assessing have likely greater connection to VIC players and others to some extent get ignored. I know for instance that allies selection appears influenced by that bias so is likely I suspect. If he was awarded Larke medal breaking the disposal record then that’s highly impressive.

Sorry don’t mean to intrude. The Swan TV mentioning of Kemp as a possible at 5 intrigues me. So does Dalrymple’s comment of ‘maximise value at every pick’.

If Kemp is in the mix at 5 for you he still will be later. Maybe much later? Maybe a little later?

Would a trade with Blues for 9 interest? Get Kemp and something more?
I'd be quite happy to trade down to 9 but Carlton don't have anything else to offer to offset the downgrade.

Just guessing but I’d say that unintentional bias exists in those phantom drafts. Those assessing have likely greater connection to VIC players and others to some extent get ignored. I know for instance that allies selection appears influenced by that bias so is likely I suspect. If he was awarded Larke medal breaking the disposal record then that’s highly impressive.

The Larke Medal isn't a perfect indication of success but I think it is a good indication. I mean look at the winners in the last 10 years

2009 - David Swallow
2010 - Harley Bennell
2011 - Stephen Coniglio
2012 - Luchie Whitfield
2013 - Dom Sheed
2014 - Christian Petracca
2015 - Josh Schache
2016 - Jack Graham
2017 - Oscar Allen
2018 - Sam Walsh

A pretty good list of players there. A few question marks, but overall a good list of players. Only failure would be Bennell and he was a failure because of injuries and personality, not talent.

So the Giants finish 2nd, keep Coniglio, and they still get two top 10 picks.

Bloody hell this comp is compromised.

No complaints from us when we finished 2nd and got a top 3 pick for pick 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back