List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. This year’s draft is similar to the year before. It does thin out after 2 rounds though. Don’t think we’ll bother much after our early 3rd, maybe just upgrade Bell, etc
We've got three picks in the 50s, won't be throwing them in the bin, just a matter of how many we use and whether we do some shuffling for less but higher picks. A number of clubs will be looking for extra picks in this still useful part of the draft.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Rozee wasn’t even Rozee in his draft year. He has taken his game to another level since joining an AFL list and there’s no reason a Serong or a Robertson or a Young can’t do the same.

not true, maybe underrated. And not by SA media.

elite prospect, was playing SANFL and had the best athletic attributes in it of the mids and displayed it against men

port moved a lot to get that pick

We've got three picks in the 50s, won't be throwing them in the bin, just a matter of how many we use and whether we do some shuffling for less but higher picks. A number of clubs will be looking for extra picks in this still useful part of the draft.

Won’t shock me to see us trade these for next year’s picks. Get some points.

Given 4 retirements and what I anticipate will be 2 delistings, we're going to have to draft some.

I do agree, but this is why I’m on the train of trading out our 2020 first for even two seconds or another first this year. We can match our picks next year with later picks anyway. I feel this year the top 30 or so will be very good but it thins out after that.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I do agree, but this is why I’m on the train of trading out our 2020 first for even two seconds or another first this year. We can match our picks next year with later picks anyway. I feel this year the top 30 or so will be very good but it thins out after that.

Every year they miss late gems. And every year early draftees become a bust.

Leaving aside trades, I reckon we'll draft 4 and upgrade Bell and McLean.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Rozee wasn’t even Rozee in his draft year. He has taken his game to another level since joining an AFL list and there’s no reason a Serong or a Robertson or a Young can’t do the same.

It is more that he has been played in a completely different position. He was playing halfback at SANFL level and doing well. I agree it would have been hard to see him translate so well to the forward line but well done to the Adelaide recruiters.

It is more that he has been played in a completely different position. He was playing halfback at SANFL level and doing well. I agree it would have been hard to see him translate so well to the forward line but well done to the Adelaide recruiters.

Yeah I always thought he was talented but he never screamed freakish to me like he does now. Actually even now he doesn't scream freakish. Could be one day though.

They are the ones we should be using to get trades done. As well as our pick in the 40s and our second-round.

They are the ones we should be using to get trades done. As well as our pick in the 40s and our second-round.

I’d keep our second round that pick is early enough

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
I’d keep our second round that pick is early enough
You're forgetting we'll possibly get an early second round/late first if Jones leaves. So we wouldn't need two picks in the 20s

Would definitely keep at leastone or two in back pocket.

Hopefully Stephens slides to our second (unlikely) as is doing very well in SANFL atm.

Two other likely types are Garcia and Byrnes around the 20s/30s mark.

Garcia is an interesting one as over shadowed by Robertson in WA championships side.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney

Hopefully Stephens slides to our second (unlikely) as is doing very well in SANFL atm.

Garcia is an interesting one as over shadowed by Robertson in WA championships side.

Stephens is going high, we're just not hearing about him much imo, need a post season bolter for the media

would like to see his contested possession break down but he looks like he does have an inside game

I'm a Garcia fan! I agree that he is over-shadowed by Robertson (for good reason I guess, Robertson is my pick outside of the six I rate the most.)

But I'm still not sure any of those you mentioned, even Stephens, would be worth taking if there was an established player we could trade in. Big if, but that's just what I'd prefer. Not sure we need another big haul of draftees.

You're forgetting we'll possibly get an early second round/late first if Jones leaves. So we wouldn't need two picks in the 20s

We could flip those two in the 20’s for one in the first round if there’s a slider- i.e Kemp

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Stephens is going high, we're just not hearing about him much imo, need a post season bolter for the media

would like to see his contested possession break down but he looks like he does have an inside game

Knocks on him are more outside and very left side dominant. Pure outside mid at AFL level at the minute. Reckon will be pick in top 15 but if he slides...

I'm a Garcia fan! I agree that he is over-shadowed by Robertson (for good reason I guess, Robertson is my pick outside of the six I rate the most.)

But I'm still not sure any of those you mentioned, even Stephens, would be worth taking if there was an established player we could trade in. Big if, but that's just what I'd prefer. Not sure we need another big haul of draftees.

Garcia has definitely gone unnoticed. The combined may push him up, injury permitting.

To be honest, unless there is value, really do not want top up type. Time to add talent and spread our mix with a few players getting into the 50 and 100 game mark

Knocks on him are more outside and very left side dominant. Pure outside mid at AFL level at the minute. Reckon will be pick in top 15 but if he slides...

Garcia has definitely gone unnoticed. The combined may push him up, injury permitting.

To be honest, unless there is value, really do not want top up type. Time to add talent and spread our mix with a few players getting into the 50 and 100 game mark

I think there's a good chance we'll already have several elite players though. I think Heeney will get there. Blakey, Florent and Dawson, too. And if Aliir isn't already then he's on the brink. I also think Rowbottom will be a special player. That's five, maybe six, potentially-elite players in our future team. Then there's the TBDs, like Ling and our future first (ie Serong/Kemp/Young).

That's all you need as a nucleus for a quality team, they just need the guys around them. Good, solid players. Like Hewett, Mills etc.

They can be found through trades, and if we're really astute, they can be found at a low cost, too.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I think Heeney could become one the very best of the medium forward/midfielders in the comp. He's not there yet and has to become more consistent but he has that level of talent.

Blakey has superstar level potential - he can do a mixture of things that very, very few players can accomplish.

Florent and Rowbottom I don't think will be superstars but 200 game players who will consistently be top 10 in the Skilton which would be excellent.

I think Aliir is not too far from his ceiling at CHB tbh, but that's not a bad thing. I don't think he'll get to the level of McGovern/Rance but somewhere under them. In line with Andrews and Moore atm imo.

Dawson is the real wild card for me. If his trajectory stays the way it is he could be an All-Australian player in the next handful of years. You couldn't have expected that when he was first drafted.

I think Heeney could become one the very best of the medium forward/midfielders in the comp. He's not there yet and has to become more consistent but he has that level of talent.

Blakey has superstar level potential - he can do a mixture of things that very, very few players can accomplish.

Florent and Rowbottom I don't think will be superstars but 200 game players who will consistently be top 10 in the Skilton which would be excellent.

I think Aliir is not too far from his ceiling at CHB tbh, but that's not a bad thing. I don't think he'll get to the level of McGovern/Rance but somewhere under them. In line with Andrews and Moore atm imo.

Dawson is the real wild card for me. If his trajectory stays the way it is he could be an All-Australian player in the next handful of years. You couldn't have expected that when he was first drafted.

You are selling a few short there IMO.

Aliir's incredibly under-rated. As I've said, media's grown bored of him now, but he's among the very best defenders in the comp. I remember reading he was very high on the list of best one-on-one defenders in the game, and his intercepting and attacking is self-explanatory, something Mattress McGovern could aspire to. Tentacle Rance isn't as good as everyone thinks.

Florent's shown what he is capable of. If he produces that consistently he would be a gun of the comp no doubt.

In fairness, I didn't say what I think Rowbottom would be, just that there is something very special about him from early impressions, so he could be anything.

Dawson I have in the same dilemma as Heeney and Blakey, in that they're all suited to a variety of positions, but do we want them being the jack of all trades and the master of none?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back