List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should all remember, with regards to trades, that when Buddy came in 2014, He had made up his mind he was coming after the 2012 GF loss.
This Jones to Saints was probably discussed last season in an amicle way but we probably just needed him to keep senior experience around the younger players that weren't quite ready. I don't see this as a non amicle discussion, much like ROK. Similar rumoured discussion was around with Jude Bolton but no suitable deal was ever done & Jude stayed.

We should all remember, with regards to trades, that when Buddy came in 2014, He had made up his mind he was coming after the 2012 GF loss.
This Jones to Saints was probably discussed last season in an amicle way but we probably just needed him to keep senior experience around the younger players that weren't quite ready. I don't see this as a non amicle discussion, much like ROK. Similar rumoured discussion was around with Jude Bolton but no suitable deal was ever done & Jude stayed.
Far out. I literally could not imagine Jude playing in anything other than Red&White.

It’s like my brain shuts down.

Jones isn’t Buddy though

That deal and how we worked it would of been a lot of work

Be re building for a while if no one comes and players of age want to leave

As a club we can’t afford to sit in the bottom 8 and build over to many years

I can see us putting our picks up and trying to get players in

We can’t become nothing better n the Sydney market

Obvious imo

We need to be smart and go for players at good clubs not getting opportunity (Cutler at Brisbane, Constable at Geelong, Cousins at Hawthorn etc)

Or players from crap clubs who might want to get out (Steele at St Kilda, Brayshaw at the Dees, Martin at GC)

Last year we were linked to three blokes who had just played in preliminary finals and were then surprised when they didn’t want to leave their clubs.

Our facilities are second rate which is why they are being upgraded. Until they are upgraded it’s hard to attract quality experienced players.

We will probably go to the draft again this year. Maybe next year when we have better facilities we could be more attractive to players.

The club will expect down years so not the end of the world if you don’t attract a big name. Plus the Sydney supporter base is a solid number these days so need to rush for a quick fired solution just to make the eight.

We need to be smart and go for players at good clubs not getting opportunity (Cutler at Brisbane, Constable at Geelong, Cousins at Hawthorn etc)

Or players from crap clubs who might want to get out (Steele at St Kilda, Brayshaw at the Dees, Martin at GC)

Last year we were linked to three blokes who had just played in preliminary finals and were then surprised when they didn’t want to leave their clubs.
Just getting them seems harder than previous.

We not so appealing

Cutler will end up at a Melbourne based

Our facilities are second rate which is why they are being upgraded. Until they are upgraded it’s hard to attract quality experienced players.

We will probably go to the draft again this year. Maybe next year when we have better facilities we could be more attractive to players.

The club will expect down years so not the end of the world if you don’t attract a big name. Plus the Sydney supporter base is a solid number these days so need to rush for a quick fired solution just to make the eight.

I seen a couch stress to the fans about being young etc every week and our finals record of past years , even flogging it on Twitter

The club is worried

They cannot afford to be down , even more so with gws

Just getting them seems harder than previous.

We not so appealing

Cutler will end up at a Melbourne based

Hope you’re wrong re Cutler.

I agree it does seem harder, but that’s just the nature of being a team in decline, it happens to everyone. Still do-able. North, Essendon and Port all had pretty prolific trade periods in recent years and they were all outside the eight.

Just gotta go for players with incentives to pack up and move

We finished 12th on the % ladder so we were actually ok overall. 97.7% just behind North and ahead of Essedon.

Apparently we also had the most losses decided by 10 points or less of any team in the comp - happened 5 times! Just a few things go different and our season looks very different.

But I think this year was the rocket up the arse that our club needed, I think they were a little too content to be scraping into finals with the same game plan and personnel that weren’t gonna take us all the way.

Apparently we also had the most losses decided by 10 points or less of any team in the comp - happened 5 times! Just a few things go different and our season looks very different.

But I think this year was the rocket up the arse that our club needed, I think they were a little too content to be scraping into finals with the same game plan and personnel that weren’t gonna take us all the way.

Had Buddy played more we probably would have won another 2 or 3 games. In hindsight though I am glad we did not win those extra 2 or 3 games as all that would have been was papering over the cracks.

Jones isn’t Buddy though

That deal and how we worked it would of been a lot of work
True.
Who know's? What ever happens, happens I guess & no use stressing over what may be going through the heads of these blokes. One thing's for certain & that is that we made yesterday a great day for the club so hopefully it rubs off on a few young ones thinking of leaving o known good culture for the unknown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seen a couch stress to the fans about being young etc every week and our finals record of past years , even flogging it on Twitter

The club is worried

They cannot afford to be down , even more so with gws
Longmire interview with David King after the Dees games acknowledged Sydney is a tough market but also that you have to rebuild for a long term success frame. That is you have to play the kids and it won’t get you the immediate success and keep you in the finals every year.

The club isn’t worried because it doesn’t expect to make the finals every year.

Longmire interview with David King after the Dees games acknowledged Sydney is a tough market but also that you have to rebuild for a long term success frame. That is you have to play the kids and it won’t get you the immediate success and keep you in the finals every year.

The club isn’t worried because it doesn’t expect to make the finals every year.
That’s what you think thst they don’t worry

Really hope the club isn’t as focused on the whole “we need to do well in this tough Sydney market” side of things as we think they are. At the end of the day the only priority should be doing what’s best for this team and it’s future. Who cares if we lose members or have less bums on seats for a few years, they’ll come back tenfold if we have a good enough team to be contending for flags over a sustained period.

Really hope the club isn’t as focused on the whole “we need to do well in this tough Sydney market” side of things as we think they are. At the end of the day the only priority should be doing what’s best for this team and it’s future. Who cares if we lose members or have less bums on seats for a few years, they’ll come back tenfold if we have a good enough team to be contending for flags over a sustained period.
I think this year seems like a sign that our numbers are more solid than we think. It does help that we've only had the one down season though, but I think we've held up OK re: crowds. And not having any Thursday/Friday night games next year (well we might have 1-2, but that's it) helps too.

Yesterday was a great advertisement for any player who might be thinking about a change of scenery ...our club has incredible spirit and love. I think we should target a young A grader or two from dispirited clubs like demons, crows or freo where players seem as happy as cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There are definitely holes in our list we need to fill but we need to get more top quality midfielders more than anything.

The other needs we have imo are a senior ready ruckman and another key defender who can compete for Melican's spot immediately (irrespective of whether Maibaum re-signs, he is now under a cloud with his knee) - but we need to keep adding top line talent to our midfield to supplement Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Florent, and Rowbottom.

We've got enough top quality talent on the flanks now. Heeney and Hayward and Papley (if he stays) at HF, Mills at HB, Dawson wherever we need him.

I have no idea re: the midfield options. I'd certainly bid for Green from GWS Academy and speak to Brad Crouch ASAP and see if we can capitalise on Adelaide being a mess right now to prise him out of there. I'd be talking to Archie Smith from Brisbane, Ivan Soldo from Richmond, and Jon Ceglar from Hawthorn as rucks. Then I'd defintiely speak to Josh Walker from Brisbane about being our FB, to take the gorillas who Melican has had so much trouble with this year. I'm not giving up on Melican as he's young and KPD can take a while, but we need competition for his spot and Walker is much too good to be playing NEAFL.

Most people agree that we need help in the midfield, especially in the 24-26 age bracket. This is the reason why I'd hate to see Zac Jones go. He has his critics and isn't going to win a brownlow but he is what we need to help do some hard work in the middle. IMO, he is much more valueable than a throw at the stumps with a pick 20 in the next draft. We should have the cash to match any offer from elsewhere.

There are definitely holes in our list we need to fill but we need to get more top quality midfielders more than anything.

The other needs we have imo are a senior ready ruckman and another key defender who can compete for Melican's spot immediately (irrespective of whether Maibaum re-signs, he is now under a cloud with his knee) - but we need to keep adding top line talent to our midfield to supplement Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Florent, and Rowbottom.

We've got enough top quality talent on the flanks now. Heeney and Hayward and Papley (if he stays) at HF, Mills at HB, Dawson wherever we need him.

I have no idea re: the midfield options. I'd certainly bid for Green from GWS Academy and speak to Brad Crouch ASAP and see if we can capitalise on Adelaide being a mess right now to prise him out of there. I'd be talking to Archie Smith from Brisbane, Ivan Soldo from Richmond, and Jon Ceglar from Hawthorn as rucks. Then I'd defintiely speak to Josh Walker from Brisbane about being our FB, to take the gorillas who Melican has had so much trouble with this year. I'm not giving up on Melican as he's young and KPD can take a while, but we need competition for his spot and Walker is much too good to be playing NEAFL.

Kennedy and Parker (and to a lesser extent Hewett, who has spent the second half of this year morphing into a hybrid of those two) are a double-edged sword in our team right now. They are the only guys atm who are capable of going through every centre bounce and stoppage after stoppage and wearing the crash and bash for an entire game across 23 weeks. So yeah, obviously they are going to be our best mids. But as long as they are in there, our midfield will be stagnant, and we'll also be forever stalling the development of those younger guys.

I hope we take a mid in this year's draft, either Kemp or Serong, to boost our future midfield stocks and have another dynamic midfielder on our list. And then go after an experienced mid (I still wish we could get Jack Steele or Angus Brayshaw) who can go through the midfield next year. They'll be ready to go and can handle the wear and tear, so they could help alleviate the absence that would come from moving Kennedy and Parker out of the guts, while simultaneously helping to make us more dynamic out of the middle than either Kennedy or Parker currently do.

Then in a few years, the younger guys like Florent and Rowbottom will be ready to step over and help that Steele/Brayshaw player, and the Kemp or Serong will be introduced as well. That's a midfield with some agility and footy smarts, with the class of Blakey and Dawson on the outside.

Kennedy and Parker (and to a lesser extent Hewett, who has spent the second half of this year morphing into a hybrid of those two) are a double-edged sword in our team right now. They are the only guys atm who are capable of going through every centre bounce and stoppage after stoppage and wearing the crash and bash for an entire game across 23 weeks. So yeah, obviously they are going to be our best mids. But as long as they are in there, our midfield will be stagnant, and we'll also be forever stalling the development of those younger guys.

I hope we take a mid in this year's draft, either Kemp or Serong, to boost our future midfield stocks and have another dynamic midfielder on our list. And then go after an experienced mid (I still wish we could get Jack Steele or Angus Brayshaw) who can go through the midfield next year. They'll be ready to go and can handle the wear and tear, so they could help alleviate the absence that would come from moving Kennedy and Parker out of the guts, while simultaneously helping to make us more dynamic out of the middle than either Kennedy or Parker currently do.

Then in a few years, the younger guys like Florent and Rowbottom will be ready to step over and help that Steele/Brayshaw player, and the Kemp or Serong will be introduced as well. That's a midfield with some agility and footy smarts, with the class of Blakey and Dawson on the outside.
Kennedy was far better than Steele yesterday and he needs moving? Just a lazy 11 clearances...not good enough apparently :drunk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back