List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think if an A grade key positional player becomes available then you grab them. Build a spine and then build a team around them. We can get those support players through so many means and we already have a lot of talented kids ready to break through.

Definitely agree that our midfield is our key issue but I wouldn't pass up Daniher.

I also like the idea of that freeing up McCartin to play as a KPD with Aliir. I'm trying to be patient with Melican but I'm starting to waver. Rampe needs to be playing on the opposition's third tall and not blokes a foot taller than him.

The spine is what kept us off the bottom of the ladder.

They were getting out-played. When you remove yourself from the emotion of what ended up being a close game it was actually three quarters of all-Eagles to one quarter of all-Collingwood. But it's you who is arguing for the sake of arguing because you haven't actually addressed my original point which was that Collingwood had no answers for Shuey, and he was doing more damage single-handedly than all of Collingwood's midfield put together.
Ok mate, re watched the game on fox a couple of weeks ago in an hotel, couldn't disagree with you more.

So what you are saying is that we are getting better?

Actually, no. I edited that but it changed back. We were 17th this year

So apparently (Tom something on fox) says our first pick and zac jones gets to done.

Will refer back to this post I made in May, updated the 2019 ranks and stats.

Sinclair as #1 ruck

2018 team ranks
Hitouts for: 15th
Hitouts against: 1st

2019 team ranks
Hitouts for: 17th
Hitouts against: 2nd

In the 36 games he has played during this time the Swans have won the hitout stat only eight times. In those games he beat Charlie Dixon, Jon Patton, Tim English x2, Tom Hickey x2, Matthew Lobbe and Toby Nankervis.

In terms of solely looking at the bounces and throw-ins, Sinkers is almost certainly the worst starting ruckman in the league.
Thanks, out of interest, how'd we go when Sinkers went down, ie with Reid, Allir, McLean etc?

The spine is what kept us off the bottom of the ladder.
How do you mean?

We missed Buddy for most of the year, Reid was OK without being great. Ran out of rucks after Sinclair toiled manfully. Aliir was good but had to patch up the ruck and we had a hot and cold Melican so we had to play our backpocket as our fullback.

Our top goal scorer was a small forward/mid.

That's a spine suffering from scoliosis.

This bit is interesting.

"The Swans worked just as hard, and came very, very close. They flew Daniher to Sydney a few times, showed him around the facilities, took him to games and invited him to the best-and-fairest night. He went out for dinner with Adam Goodes, got to know the players and listened to John Longmire outline his plans for him. The coach-to-be would drop by when he was in Melbourne, and stick around for dinner.
As tightly as his family was tied to Essendon, Joe also had strong links to Sydney. His mother’s sister is married to Tony Morwood, the Swans’ Melbourne manager; and the club’s football and welfare managers Dean Moore and Dennis Carroll are good friends of his parents. Player personnel manager Kinnear Beatson and chief executive Andrew Ireland also played a big part in pushing the Swans’ case. The Swans have always been the Danihers’ second favourite club; they have friends there, and a dog named after Brett Kirk."

"The Swans had believed they were a huge chance, but lost a little hope after Hird signed on. The Bombers landed perhaps thekey part of their future, and Daniher was ready to get started."

So James Hird was the one that swung him to the Bombers. The poor guy must be pulling his hair out now.
He'll be a Swan, make no mistake. Too many positive connections & life's too short.
Welcome to the Bloods Joe!
Brett seems a funny name for a dog.

We won’t be getting both mate

Our cap
We won't be paying Daniher too much more than the Bombers did if it is purely a lifestyle move for Joe.

He signed an extension in 2017 at $2M for 3 years, so 800-850K will get the job done & that basically replaces Hanner's salary.

How do you mean?

We missed Buddy for most of the year, Reid was OK without being great. Ran out of rucks after Sinclair toiled manfully. Aliir was good but had to patch up the ruck and we had a hot and cold Melican so we had to play our backpocket as our fullback.

Our top goal scorer was a small forward/mid.

That's a spine suffering from scoliosis.

By spine I was referring to our key positions, being the forward and back line.

Both went extremely well under the circumstances IMO. Sir Dane, Aliir and Mills were bombarded with inside 50s on a weekly basis, while our forwards were a very young group that lacked experience. But I thought the structures and cohesion of the forward group was actually the best it had been since about 2013 at the very least. They just fumbled their lines a lot when it came time to finish, which I attribute a lot to their youth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won't be paying Daniher too much more than the Bombers did if it is purely a lifestyle move for Joe.

He signed an extension in 2017 at $2M for 3 years, so 800-850K will get the job done & that basically replaces Hanner's salary.
Have you got inside word we are a getting both?

By spine I was referring to our key positions, being the forward and back line.

Both went extremely well under the circumstances IMO. Sir Dane, Aliir and Mills were bombarded with inside 50s on a weekly basis, while our forwards were a very young group that lacked experience. But I thought the structures and cohesion of the forward group was actually the best it had been since about 2013 at the very least. They just fumbled their lines a lot when it came time to finish, which I attribute a lot to their youth.
That's not a spine or the definition of key position.

Full Forward
Centre Half Forward
Ruck
Centre Half Back
Full Back

That's a spine and I think it still needs some work.

If we did that I like the idea of getting one of Flanders/Robertson with pick 11 and while it is a bit of a stretch reading his bio I would love Cooper Stephens who Twomey describes as a tough brutish inside midfielder who likely would have been a first round pick player had he not broken his leg in April.
I like the look of Jay Rantall. Partly because of the name I'll admit. A pure inside midfielder and his pick will most likely be in the second round.

With an endurance base that rivals Sam Walsh or Bailey Smith from last year, Rantall just burns his opponents into the ground. He moves well and gets to areas on the ground that make it hard for opponents to keep track of him, and he racks up the ball with ease. An inside midfielder with athletic capabilities, Rantall is at his most damaging around stoppages where he can burst away, or when inside 50 snap around his body to hit the scoreboard. He seems like a perfect second round prospect because he has areas to work on such as his composure when kicking, but it has been improving since the early rounds and having come from a basketball background, he is still raw and developing. (Credit - Draft Central).

That's not a spine or the definition of key position.

Full Forward
Centre Half Forward
Ruck
Centre Half Back
Full Back

That's a spine and I think it still needs some work.

To me the game is just not as individual-based so I don't consider key position players to really even be a thing anymore.

These days I think a small forward is arguably as important as a tall forward, and a medium-sized forward is as important as either. The line between "key position" and other is blurred for me so I just refer to them by their group.

Also, Beatson suggested that we were willing to off load pick 4 if we got what we wanted & he also suggested that there are always some good picks later in the draft as they are often hidden there. Then should Papley end up at Carlton for pick 8, I believe we will then have the right picks to land some big guns to our club.

So hypothetically, here goes.
Pick 4 & 23 to GWS for picks 11, 13 & 49.
Papley to Carlton for pick 8 & Marchbank(overs I know because they want Paps)
Pick 13 & Jones to Essendon for Daniher.
Picks 8 & 11 (two first round picks) to Collingwood for Grundy. Throw in Cameron as it was mentioned this morning they have shown an interest in him.

Of course not as straight forward as that but work around those picks with a few tweaks of picks & players.
Very confusing.

tenorrr.gif

Last edited:
To me the game is just not as individual-based so I don't consider key position players to really even be a thing anymore.

These days I think a small forward is arguably as important as a tall forward, and a medium-sized forward is as important as either. The line between "key position" and other is blurred for me so I just refer to them by their group.
Then this so-called "spine" would refer to the entire team.

While that's nice for you, the correct definition of "spine' and "key position" still stands irrespective of changes in tactics.

Sydney's my 2nd team.
His school peers/friends tell me Daniher's groin is fkd and will never heal properly, look for someone else.

Sydney's my 2nd team.
His school peers/friends tell me Daniher's groin is fkd and will never heal properly, look for someone else.
OK next rumour then.

I hear Patrick Cripps had lunch with Tom Harley in Sydney yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back