Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Tippett by far imo

You don’t pay a million for a bloke that wasn’t even A grade at the time. The clause was just absurd paying him that much
Tippet came first. Buddy came second. The cap came under pressure once we added Buddy & it was franked when we were given the trade ban & lost cola on the back of getting Buddy. If we are going to rubbish the club's decisions regarding the inability to keep players like Mitchell & Mummy etc, then we at least need to be brave enough to blame the Buddy trade because his recruitment was ALWAYS going to cause us trouble with the list going forward.
But yeah, like I said, Buddy puts a smile on our faces 5 times a year so unpopular to blame his recruitment.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Tippett by far imo

You don’t pay a million for a bloke that wasn’t even A grade at the time. The clause was just absurd paying him that much

This Club very rarely gets it wrong but that was a **** up of Gargantuan proportions. Diabolical. I could not give a rats tossbag if Franklin never plays another game, he has been worth every penny and then some and in no way at all to blame for us not winning the last 2 Grand Finals we have played In. In Fact If had not been for him we would not have even been in a position to even play in them. We have carried some Bums on this list for a while now but Franklin ain't one of them.

Tim Watson saying that he thought Daniher was staying but changed his mind after hearing Merrett speak.

Carey doesn’t think EFC will get 2 first rounders for him because of his recent injuries but also said he expects with Sydney’s history of getting big forwards into the club, that Joey will be a very good player for them.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
I always love a bit of re writing of history, sure Mitchel won a Brownlow after leaving us, but at the time of the trade he was a promising midfielder who had played 65 games over 5 years and was ranked as our fourth best midfielder.

Pick 14 was reasonable value for what he was rated at the time.

Just the same as someone like Jones is only worth a very late first or early second round pick at present.

If St Kilda gets more out of him and that standing improves, good on them and their development work.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's debatable. 65 games over 5 seasons is a pretty good return on investment. He probably should have played more except the selection committee wanted him to iron out his minor deficiencies in the NEAFL. He certainly should have been in our 2014GF team. Why he wasn't is beyond belief.

I for one, saw him as our best ball winner when he left. His only weakness was his kicking, but the other mids had that same issue. I, along with a few others on here, also saw his potential as being one of the best players in the comp. Just go over the posts at the time of his trade. You'll find a few posts from me stating that we should be keeping him and trading either Hannebery or Parker. If I could see that then why couldn't the club?

Gerard Healy thinks the Mitchell trade was "the worst in history". I think he would have better inside info than us on the trade.

Last edited:

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
This Club very rarely gets it wrong but that was a **** up of Gargantuan proportions. Diabolical. I could not give a rats tossbag if Franklin never plays another game, he has been worth every penny and then some and in no way at all to blame for us not winning the last 2 Grand Finals we have played In. In Fact If had not been for him we would not have even been in a position to even play in them. We have carried some Bums on this list for a while now but Franklin ain't one of them.
No WW but we had no extra money for Mitchell.

Buddy does lots of tricks with the ball & runs & kicks lots of fun goals. . . . . . . In those 10 games he plays per year.
Buddy averages 19.7 games per year at Sydney, and 20 games per year over his career. Double your claimed figure and more than Tippett, Reid, Mills, Cunningham, Sinclair, Jones, Aliir, and many more

His off-field impact on memberships and sponsorships would have probably paid his salary, not counting the Coleman Medal and multiple All Australian selections through his exceptional on-field play

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Buddy averages 19.7 games per year at Sydney, and 20 games per year over his career. Double your claimed figure and more than Tippett, Reid, Mills, Cunningham, Sinclair, Jones, and many more

His off-field impact on memberships and sponsorships would have probably paid his salary, not counting the Coleman Medal and multiple All Australian selections through his exceptional on-field play
Not disputing his off field worth at all. I never have. But you are big on facts & figures.
Buddy played 9 games in 2019. Buddy is having off season surgery again. Buddy was recruited for 2014. Tippett for 2013. Buddy takes 13 to 15% of the cap. For a return of 9 games this season, Clarke had a more on field impact.
Buddy isn't going to get better.

Not disputing his off field worth at all. I never have. But you are big on facts & figures.
Buddy played 9 games in 2019. Buddy is having off season surgery again. Buddy was recruited for 2014. Tippett for 2013. Buddy takes 13 to 15% of the cap. For a return of 9 games this season, Clarke had a more on field impact.

get off the sauce

I always love a bit of re writing of history, sure Mitchel won a Brownlow after leaving us, but at the time of the trade he was a promising midfielder who had played 65 games over 5 years and was ranked as our fourth best midfielder.

Pick 14 was reasonable value for what he was rated at the time.

Just the same as someone like Jones is only worth a very late first or early second round pick at present.

If St Kilda gets more out of him and that standing improves, good on them and their development work.

can you link me to the official rankings of the midfield?

last game he played tom was one of our best second only to JPK

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I don't cry over spilt Milk Ted. Mitchell was a sook anyway.
Yeah, I'm only pointing out that clubs make mistakes & I won't hang the club for thinking outside the square when snaring Buddy by stealth, but likewise I get annoyed at the cherry picking on here on when to give the club credit for having crack & getting it right & when wrong.
Hindsight experts sh*t me.
We've got Buddy so we can't have Mitchell. That's how I see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with happy clapper.
Plenty to do with having to deal with things as a club, when the time comes. We obviiously had to clean up things with regards to the cap because pre trade ban & cola removal, we signed ALL our list thinking we would still have the cola. So tough decisions were made . Mitchell didn't want to be there, simple otherwise he would have stayed just like many Vic players have chosen to stay even though they were destined to be in & out of the senior team.
Langford of the Hawks stayed & was mostly played in the twos.

Our biggest mistake may still be in the making. The recruitment of Buddy. I say he has no more than 20 games left in him. Two GF losses with him taking 15% of the cap, forcing other players to take less & perhaps creating a negative feeling among some player, Mitchell being one for sure because we had no money left for him. I bet you feel that we should have taken the money off a lesser player rather then Buddy because Buddy does lots of tricks with the ball & runs & kicks lots of fun goals. . . . . . . In those 10 games he plays per year.
It's very Sydney that.

you are unique

defend that potato foote last year, whinge about our best player :p

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Hey dreamer, you think Buddy will get better?
He can't. Clark can still improve but that sounds dirty to you doesn't it?;)

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
you are unique

defend that potato foote last year, whinge about our best player :p
Well not so much defending or criticising the player, but rather, defending & criticising the club on how much they are paying players in relation to their out put for impact on our salary cap. Clark has little or no impact on our cap in these next three years. Let's revisit in 3 years. Maybe Clarke will play more games than Buddy in one year than Buddy will in three.
I sure hope I'm wrong & it's just my cup of tea talking.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Are you telling us that the club couldn't foresee that problem? They shouldn't have made the room for him prior.
We lost the cola & it was argued by many, players association included that it should have been phased out over a longer period to allow current contracts to phase out. Compounded by a trade ban.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
WW, did/do you agree with the length of Buds contract? Reckon we went full brain explosion with that, concerned me then, still does.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
That's debatable. 65 games over 5 seasons is a pretty good return on investment. He probably should have played more except the selection committee wanted him to iron out his minor deficiencies in the NEAFL. He certainly should have been in our 2014GF team. Why he wasn't is beyond belief.

I for one, saw him as our best ball winner when he left. His only weakness was his kicking, but the other mids had that same issue. I, along with a few others on here, also saw his potential as being one of the best players in the comp. Just go over the posts at the time of his trade. You'll find a few posts from me stating that we should be keeping him and trading either Hannebery or Parker. If I could see that then why couldn't the club?

Gerard Healy thinks the Mitchell trade was "the worst in history". I think he would have better inside info than us on the trade.

No, Gerard Healy says that in “hindsight” it was a poor trade.

Once again, re-writing history based on another two years of football and the development that came after he focused on getting himself far fitter.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
No WW but we had no extra money for Mitchell.

More like we were not going to pay our fourth best midfielder at the time $700k a year.

We could have offered Mitchell that if we wanted to, but you would currently see Heeney running around in royal blue and white stripes.

Every decision has ramifications down the line for years afterwards.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
can you link me to the official rankings of the midfield?

last game he played tom was one of our best second only to JPK

The Hawthorn deal was done mid 2016, well before grand final day.

At that point in time, there was no way statistically that Mitchell was better than JPK, Hanners or Parker. You could argue that Heeney was on a course to go past him at that stage as well.

Good luck to Tom, he has certainly taken his game to another level once he went to Hawthorn and fixed the one thing holding him back (his fitness), but to suggest that we should have just put $700k on the table to keep him or pick 14 was totally under’s at the time is just plain wrong and a re-writing of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back