List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macrae was the word last year out of left field Masey so hopefully there is something in that snippet of a rumour as he would be gold for us.
For what it's worth, the Macrae rumour was started by a troll Facebook account that is known for blindly making up rumours, and hoping one sticks. There was literally nothing behind it. Not to say it would never eventuate, just that there's also no genuine links either

That trade did allow us to get Rowbottom so it's not completely bad.

Imagine if we traded our first round pick next year, finished bottom 4 and Gulden did his knee, causing him to slide down the draft?

I personally think its best we play it safe and hold onto that first round selection (Unless it's a trade for an out and out established gun (which is unlikely)).

I’d personally rather just hit the draft and rebuild from within. Forget trade targets for a year or two. Top 2-3 pick this year and draft the best mid, same as next year.

For what it's worth, the Macrae rumour was started by a troll Facebook account that is known for blindly making up rumours, and hoping one sticks. There was literally nothing behind it. Not to say it would never eventuate, just that there's also no genuine links either
Dalrymple is the connection I've heard other than that rumour you are talking about but as I said, a snippet of a rumour & unlikely.

Gulden at this stage could very easily be worth a top 3 pick next year.

He'd want to be better than the last time that happened - I want a 4 time AA at a top 3 pick....will look out for him in the NEAFL, thanks.
I'd still rather trade up late rounders and to get a late first rounder to begin the match though. Someone like another acadamy team might be willing to go there on the later reciprocity principle. I'm sure our draft peeps will be right across it though. :thumbsu:

We forgot about trade targets for 2 years (oh wait...that was an unjustified ban) and look how that turned out!

We didn’t have a top 4 maybe even top 2 pick in those years

Ii
Mills, Heeney and Blakey say hello.

We've done what you want us to do for the last 5 years and look where we are. The draft isn't the magic answer to our problems.

It is part of the answer. We still need to keep getting that right. With a bit of cash to splash we need to get our trades right.

We've done what you want us to do for the last 5 years and look where we are. The draft isn't the magic answer to our problems.

It’s not like we could trade points or use academy picks on anyone else so it’s not really the same

We have gone for decent draft picks with our selections and last few us at least potentially

Having a top 3 pick would be nice though

But I agree it’s not the be all and end all

The draft isn’t the magic answer I absolutely agree but it’s a start. We need our first pick to be a live selection in my view. The top echelon in this draft look very good. Is that selection the answer to all our problems, no. It’s a start though. It’s a process. This might take 2-3 seasons. It’s about setting up for 2022 and beyond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be nice to get a Goodes or a Hird and they were nowhere near it!

Drafts and recruiting have changed since those drafts. Let’s agree to disagree- you want to trade and take whatever picks left to the draft. I’d rather play the long game and take the highest pick available and possible this year (pick 1-4) and an easier draw in 2020 and go from there. It’s a long process, we shouldn’t take shortcuts- that’s what North tried.

Drafts and recruiting have changed since those drafts. Let’s agree to disagree- you want to trade and take whatever picks left to the draft. I’d rather play the long game and take the highest pick available and possible this year (pick 1-4) and an easier draw in 2020 and go from there. It’s a long process, we shouldn’t take shortcuts- that’s what North tried.
No, I want the option of both trade and draft. I’ve not mentioned what picks I’m trading, just the ability to trade for the ‘right’ player. If that’s a first rounder for ‘Oliver’ for example then so be it. We have many players on our list that were nowhere near 1st round...as a matter of fact, they didn’t have a round. They were Rookie picks.

No, I want the option of both trade and draft. I’ve not mentioned what picks I’m trading, just the ability to trade for the ‘right’ player. If that’s a first rounder for ‘Oliver’ for example then so be it. We have many players on our list that were nowhere near 1st round...as a matter of fact, they didn’t have a round. They were Rookie picks.

That’s where we differ- I’m happy to trade picks from 2nd round onwards but I wouldn’t trade our first this year notbwven for Oliver. I’d trade our 2020 first- back ourselves to improve

The draft isn’t the magic answer I absolutely agree but it’s a start. We need our first pick to be a live selection in my view. The top echelon in this draft look very good. Is that selection the answer to all our problems, no. It’s a start though. It’s a process. This might take 2-3 seasons. It’s about setting up for 2022 and beyond.

What do you think about going all out this draft by trading the following year's pick, get in TWO top ten midfielders.
Getting one per year isn't going to send us up anytime soon, and the kids will have a losing mentality. I think what Carlton did last year was the right idea, just a matter of whether they got the right player.

If we get Rowell I'd even give up JPK and Buddy (which ought to go down well :rolleyes::eek:) to the Hawks to grab a top 7 pick - let them push for a flag next year while we organise one for two years later.

What do you think about going all out this draft by trading the following year's pick, get in TWO top ten midfielders.
Getting one per year isn't going to send us up anytime soon, and the kids will have a losing mentality. I think what Carlton did last year was the right idea, just a matter of whether they got the right player.

If we get Rowell I'd even give up JPK and Buddy (which ought to go down well :rolleyes::eek:) to the Hawks to grab a top 7 pick - let them push for a flag next year while we organise one for two years later.

I would always be careful about trading out experience.

Remember at the end of the year we are likely to have McVeigh, Jack, Grundy and Smith retire, we need to keep a few mature heads around the place to guide the younger players (Look how getting rid of McDonald turned out for Melbourne or how bringing in Shaw, Mumford and co helped GWS).

I like the idea of at least putting our 2020 first on the table but I wouldn’t do this till draft night. The second player has to be there.

Wouldn’t mind 1 or 2 now with the 2 top mids showing very good signs. There saying there is a massive gap between them 2 and the rest.

We need one of them more than ever
I've seen a number of draft watchers are rating Rowell and Anderson as both better than Walsh. To be fair, Walsh wasn't necessarily the best rated midfielder on skill alone in last year's draft (a lot of his value came from his leadership ability) but it should still say a lot about how good the top end is looking so far.

Provided you guys did get a top 2 pick, wouldn't be surprised seeing you guys try use it in a trade (as mentioned above, trying to secure someone like Macrae)

I would always be careful about trading out experience.

Remember at the end of the year we are likely to have McVeigh, Jack, Grundy and Smith retire, we need to keep a few mature heads around the place to guide the younger players (Look how getting rid of McDonald turned out for Melbourne or how bringing in Shaw, Mumford and co helped GWS).

True that - but look at how Hawks have shifted Hodge and was it Lewis out.
I wouldn't mind JPK learning to coach under Clarkson for two years, then coming back as our midfield coach. He'll not learn much under Horse after all.

A spine like this looks pretty good to me for the next crack at it. We also have a pretty good prospect we are yet to see in Tucker. I'm calling a flag in 2021 :)

COR...Mccartin...Rampe
McInerny...AA....Stoddart
Cunningham...Heeney...Lloyd
Blakey.....Parker....Dawson
Papley....Reid....Haywood

F: Ruck, Rowell, Hewett, Rowbottom,

Bench: 2020 top 6 mid pick fast ellusive good kick, the guy named in article below:arrowsmalldown: (Mills and Melican...depending on form/health/)

Also: YES PLEASE ! https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-07/who-wants-a-lightningquick-200cm-key-defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back