Not open for further replies.
Worse trade ever
That trade always gets brought up but is it as bad as:

472 games
1238 goals
1 Coleman Medal
7 All Australian selections
5 Best and Fairest wins
2x Leigh Matthews Trophies (Most Valuable Player in the league)

for

$70,000

Saints trading in Hanners must be right up there.

Yeah that’s an awful deal mostly because of the contract they gave him

Actual trade worth a punt given his best

Yeah that’s an awful deal mostly because of the contract they gave him

Actual trade worth a punt given his best

Among the worst trades ever. Horse cooked him to a point that Mummy would not stick a fork in him. I hope he finds some fitness and is able to string together some good games.

As far as I am concerned Jose has a lot to answer for in playing jabbed up injured players. I am not convinced we have the best medicos or fitness staff.

Adelaide must be loving Carlton right now, unless, some kind of shenannigans going on. That Stoker kid better become an out and out gun, or Carlton may take the title off Freo.

Won't know how good the trade is for a while. Still recon Carlton will win 4-5 games coming 3rd or 4th last anyway. There is a gap between the two top mids plus the GWS Academy mid and the others this year. Carlton traded in to last years to get a mid they rated. Still recon it will end as a pretty fair trade.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Some huge matches coming up this year v North, Carlton and GC.
If we at least play the kids in these matches the whole season won't be a waste and a top 2 pick could be ours. With it we can spring up quickly the following years.
It will be totally Horse like to run 2-3 players into the absolute ground to secure 11th spot though. Hewett, Heeney and Mills most likely.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Some huge matches coming up this year v North, Carlton and GC.
If we at least play the kids in these matches the whole season won't be a waste and a top 2 pick could be ours. With it we can spring up quickly the following years.
It will be totally Horse like to run 2-3 players into the absolute ground to secure 11th spot though. Hewett, Heeney and Mills most likely.
Sounds very much like a carlton approach to the draft.
Top draft picks, still crap.
How bout we see the season as only one third gone, and realise that if we play and coach and develop players correctly every season is valuable.
We sing praises for more then a decade, then jump up and down and demand blood as soon as it goes a little south.

472 games
1238 goals
1 Coleman Medal
5 Best and Fairest wins

for

$70,000

Who are you referring to here ? 472 games bit threw me off

472 games
1238 goals
1 Coleman Medal
5 Best and Fairest wins

for

$70,000

Depends, I believe it was those sanctions that sent Carlton into their current death spiral.

I read somewhere a post I cant remember where now, mentioning the drafting of low disposal average under 18s. It’s an intersting one in terms of the competition and what do disposal counts really mean at the level? How much weight do you put on those numbers....and how accurate they are is another question I guess.

Given the amount of Nab league games I have seen live this season, around 13, I think the disposal count is somewhat misleading as an overall guide. There are a number of high quality ball users who average 15-18 disposals and play at a high efficiency whilst running two ways. Let me give you an example, Green from GWS gets plenty and I have seen him in the flesh twice now. The boy goes missing when you play very tight on him, and he does not do much in defensive mode as he is a bit slowish. Numbers alone are impressive, and discussion points around him are very positive but imo there are plenty others who touch the ball less and impact the play more than him.

The key is to find the boys who are developing, not developed if you get what I mean. Rowell, Anderson very good with upside, Rowell can work on contested ball I reckon. Someone like Williams from Oakleigh, great last year but struggling to get involvements this year so things also change quickly.

I saw a couple of Academy kids who to me do not look out of place in the NAB League, I really think we might not need to go to hard with the interstates and may have3or 4 solid picks right under our noses.

I know we need to get through this year first, but there is one kid I really like for next year, and that is Ben Major from the Knights. Watch his form this year, he is a tall option who I reckon will go into the midfield like a Cripps eventually......he will go high in the draft and is a Swans man as well! (And definitely not related to me in any way!)

i once traded mayfair for oldkent road and cash, that ended up a poor trade
Shouldn’t of been, you know how Little action Mayfair sees in a game. Stats are terrible.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I read somewhere a post I cant remember where now, mentioning the drafting of low disposal average under 18s. It’s an intersting one in terms of the competition and what do disposal counts really mean at the level? How much weight do you put on those numbers....and how accurate they are is another question I guess.

Given the amount of Nab league games I have seen live this season, around 13, I think the disposal count is somewhat misleading as an overall guide. There are a number of high quality ball users who average 15-18 disposals and play at a high efficiency whilst running two ways. Let me give you an example, Green from GWS gets plenty and I have seen him in the flesh twice now. The boy goes missing when you play very tight on him, and he does not do much in defensive mode as he is a bit slowish. Numbers alone are impressive, and discussion points around him are very positive but imo there are plenty others who touch the ball less and impact the play more than him.

The key is to find the boys who are developing, not developed if you get what I mean. Rowell, Anderson very good with upside, Rowell can work on contested ball I reckon. Someone like Williams from Oakleigh, great last year but struggling to get involvements this year so things also change quickly.

I saw a couple of Academy kids who to me do not look out of place in the NAB League, I really think we might not need to go to hard with the interstates and may have3or 4 solid picks right under our noses.

I know we need to get through this year first, but there is one kid I really like for next year, and that is Ben Major from the Knights. Watch his form this year, he is a tall option who I reckon will go into the midfield like a Cripps eventually......he will go high in the draft and is a Swans man as well! (And definitely not related to me in any way!)
I couldn't agree with you more.
The kid who puts his head over the ball, tackles hard, pressures in fwd 50, runs and breaks up passes in defense, shepherds and allows others to get the ball.
Defensive players who spoil and don't allow their opposition to score.
Fwds who chase down and tackle, present time and again without getting a possession but clears the 50 for a team mate.
Stats are importantant, but when used to tell the whole story, they can sell some players short and promote others way above where they should be.
I agree also that the Swans have 3 or 4 players right under their noses.
But I think they realise it already. They have had this crew since they were 10 years 9ld, so 8 years of playing and training probably negate the needs for them to rely on stats.

Worst trade ever was Freo giving Crows Andrew McLeod for a 25 game forward from South Adelaide whose name escapes me.

In fact Freo hold a full hand of dreadful trades.

The Trent Croad trade still takes the cake...

Look at who Hawthorn got from that trade!

I'm still spewing Paul Seedsman wanted out of Collingwood right in the thick of our trade ban. He's exactly what we need right now and he would've been fairly cheap after less than 50 games for the Magpies. No guarantees we would've gone for him anyway but he was chasing opportunities and we definitely would've had it for him as our rebuild kinda began in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back