List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still spewing Paul Seedsman wanted out of Collingwood right in the thick of our trade ban. He's exactly what we need right now and he would've been fairly cheap after less than 50 games for the Magpies. No guarantees we would've gone for him anyway but he was chasing opportunities and we definitely would've had it for him as our rebuild kinda began in 2016.

Another bloke that is injury prone, and can't stay on the park? Not sure he is the player we should have been chasing anyway.

Another bloke that is injury prone, and can't stay on the park? Not sure he is the player we should have been chasing anyway.

He's played 42 games for the Crows in 3 and a bit seasons. On the surface that's not great, but that's still 42 games of very good rebound off the half back that we could've had, right in the season where we made a grand final and lost against a team that had very good rebound out of defence.

He's played 42 games for the Crows in 3 and a bit seasons. On the surface that's not great, but that's still 42 games of very good rebound off the half back that we could've had, right in the season where we made a grand final and lost against a team that had very good rebound out of defence.

42 out of lets say 70 isn't that durable! Injury prone, no thanks.

Because the intention is for Blakey to move to the mids. Have you actually seen him play there? He was likened to Patrick Cripps and just as tall (if that’s possible).

So we then overpay for a KPF (as is always the case with forwards) when our biggest weakness is our dreadful midfield? Blakely will split time between middle and forward but the point is we don't need forwards as a priority. We need mids, mids and more mids. We are getting smashed on the inside, lets address that first.

42 out of lets say 70 isn't that durable! Injury prone, no thanks.

He played 15 games in 2016. A few of those only needed to be finals for us and I honestly think our fortunes would have been pretty different. In any case, my point was not whether he'd be worth it or not. He would've been worth it. Would've been cheap as chips, worth the investment for a gun player who 100% filled a need of ours and wanted opportunity and willing to move interstate for it.

I was just venting how pissed off I was/still am that we didn't even get the opportunity to go for him.

So we then overpay for a KPF (as is always the case with forwards) when our biggest weakness is our dreadful midfield? Blakely will split time between middle and forward but the point is we don't need forwards as a priority. We need mids, mids and more mids. We are getting smashed on the inside, lets address that first.

I mean, if Blakey is as good in the midfield as people say he is, plus Rowbottom... them two come on around the same time and enter the midfield... that's a pretty handy improvement already as it is. That then means less Blakey in the forward line, leaving McCartin our only young key forward. So where Blakey plays actually becomes pretty crucial to our plans either way he falls.

He played 15 games in 2016. A few of those only needed to be finals for us and I honestly think our fortunes would have been pretty different. In any case, my point was not whether he'd be worth it or not. He would've been worth it. Would've been cheap as chips, worth the investment for a gun player who 100% filled a need of ours and wanted opportunity and willing to move interstate for it.

I was just venting how pissed off I was/still am that we didn't even get the opportunity to go for him.

Not sure he'd have really filled a need, he's basically an outside mid, and at the time we had Hanners among others. We wouldn't have expected Hanner's injury to be as bad as it was. Don't blame the club, he's not someone I was disappointed in missing.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Just hypothetically did by moving Blakey to the midfield...addressed. If you don’t like it, head back to Essendon and bitch about their health and well-being policy!

Not sure he'd have really filled a need, he's basically an outside mid, and at the time we had Hanners among others. We wouldn't have expected Hanner's injury to be as bad as it was. Don't blame the club, he's not someone I was disappointed in missing.

Have you watched him play at all? He's not an outside mid. He's a rebounding defender. He provides run and carry out of defence, and also has a ridiculously powerful boot that sets up a lot of Adelaide's attacking plays when he gets going.

Anyway now we're getting into semantics when I was simply just having a personal vent about a hypothetical prospect that didn't eventuate. End of, no?

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I mean, if Blakey is as good in the midfield as people say he is, plus Rowbottom... them two come on around the same time and enter the midfield... that's a pretty handy improvement already as it is. That then means less Blakey in the forward line, leaving McCartin our only young key forward. So where Blakey plays actually becomes pretty crucial to our plans either way he falls.
You’re forgetting that we just hypothetically recruited Marshall

Just hypothetically did by moving Blakey to the midfield...addressed.

One player, and he probably won't be a full time mid. We need about 6-7, especially some genuine insides and one that goes outside and in (Ideally Anderson or Rowell here). Need to go hard for mids this year at the draft. I'd be looking at getting another pick inside the top 20.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
One player, and he probably won't be a full time mid. We need about 6-7, especially some genuine insides and one that goes outside and in (Ideally Anderson or Rowell here). Need to go hard for mids this year at the draft. I'd be looking at getting another pick inside the top 20.
Don’t like Rowbottom? We’re also wanting Kyle Dunkley, in line to get Rowell or Anderson. Anymore mids you want to leave out of the team to play NEAFL?

I still feel we are 4-5 short and in 2019 the midfield is everything. Even if those two come on and even if Blakely is a full time mid, we are still miles short.

Don’t like Rowbottom? We’re also wanting Kyle Dunkley, in line to get Rowell or Anderson. Anymore mids you want to leave out of the team to play NEAFL?

Parker who would be much better in my view of playing more in the forward line (70% at least) than the middle. I'd be looking at using some of these mids in there next year, we need to refresh the middle.

You just said 6-7

Ideally it is 6-7, you need depth. Look at how deep Collingwood bat in there. Their midfield is probably 7-8, even 10 deep, and all are better than ours basically. The midfield is the major problem area. Well that and a genuine ruck.

Why don't we have both? Da-da-da-da-da-da

I don't personally see Blakely as a full time mid, happy to be wrong there, and I'll put my hand up if it is wrong. I would think he'd play a portion forward too.

Ideally it is 6-7, you need depth. Look at how deep Collingwood bat in there. Their midfield is probably 7-8, even 10 deep, and all are better than ours basically. The midfield is the major problem area. Well that and a genuine ruck.

You should apply for a job at Essendon

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Parker who would be much better in my view of playing more in the forward line (70% at least) than the middle. I'd be looking at using some of these mids in there next year, we need to refresh the middle.
The guts doesn’t need to be a wholesale clean out, it needs for those that are currently there to improve (JPK is excused) and anyone else that comes in to do their job. Absolute rubbish otherwise!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
* you’re talking s**t now. How big do you think their list is?

I still feel we are 4-5 short and in 2019 the midfield is everything. Even if those two come on and even if Blakely is a full time mid, we are still miles short.

Hewett, Heeney, Florent, Blakey and Rowbottom. That's five. You could swap Blakey and Dawson as both can play forward and midfield. Then you still have Kennedy and Parker who, despite being past their best, can rotate through there. That's eight. Throw in Jones, who may decide to stay, and that's nine.

Obviously we're not seeing them at their best yet because a) they're young, and b) they're not all being played as mids yet. But the pieces are all there.

It will just require patience, and also Horse not being a goose and playing them as on-ballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back