List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even ordinary ones?

Depends what you mean by ordinary. I’m thinking along the lines of a Matt De Boer, not a star just a good consistent contributor. Although you could argue he’s been a good consistent contributor so often for GWS that now he is a star. Ditto Jarryd Lyons, Jordan Roughead, Jack Crisp etc

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Depends what you mean by ordinary. I’m thinking along the lines of a Matt De Boer, not a star just a good consistent contributor. Although you could argue he’s been a good consistent contributor so often for GWS that now he is a star. Ditto Jarryd Lyons, Jordan Roughead, Jack Crisp etc
Well you’re not getting any of those but ordinary is ordinary. You have this thing with 24-28 year olds!

Well you’re not getting any of those but ordinary is ordinary. You have this thing with 24-28 year olds!

They would’ve been considered ordinary or just ‘good’ when they were recruited by their current clubs was more my point.

The reason 24-28 year olds are important is because 30+ is pointless, and we already have a plethora of talented players under 24.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
They would’ve been considered ordinary or just ‘good’ when they were recruited by their current clubs was more my point.

The reason 24-28 year olds are important is because 30+ is pointless, and we already have a plethora of talented players under 24.
So what!

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Can smarter strategists than me answer this, whats kicking around in my mind at present is we trade our 2020 1st and 2nd rounders for players and/or picks this year so we can use a bunch of lower 2020 picks on our two academy kids next year. In my mind this maximises 2020s picks this year and doesnt harm our 2021 draft either. Am I thinking correct on this one, or am I mistaken? Any better way of using 2020s picks that Im missing in light we'll take 2 academy kids next year?

Can smarter strategists than me answer this, whats kicking around in my mind at present is we trade our 2020 1st and 2nd rounders for players and/or picks this year so we can use a bunch of lower 2020 picks on our two academy kids next year. In my mind this maximises 2020s picks this year and doesnt harm our 2021 draft either. Am I thinking correct on this one, or am I mistaken? Any better way of using 2020s picks that Im missing in light we'll take 2 academy kids next year?

Bump. These are good questions. Any draft experts about?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
We always do lately! We gave Mitchell away for a packet of used chips basically

Pick 14 is a packet of used chips now?
(We also upgraded pick 57 to 52).

We didn’t get what most here expected sure, but that’s a fair way from the truth...

Pick 14 is a packet of used chips now?
(We also upgraded pick 57 to 52).

We didn’t get what most here expected sure, but that’s a fair way from the truth...

My main criticism is not waiting more than a few days, instead we trade on day 1...surely it wasn’t much to ask for a top 8 selection. It was highway robbery at the time, it still is.

If you call Florent and Haywood used chips.

Still unders.

It’s the one thing we have to improve, stop bending over for teams. What improves our list should be the number 1 goal

Still unders.

It’s the one thing we have to improve, stop bending over for teams. What improves our list should be the number 1 goal
Perhaps that's why West Coast were happy to do the dance with us in the draft last year that yielded us both Blakey and Rowbottom, because we are reasonable and fair in our trades and don't fluff around and play hard ball.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Perhaps that's why West Coast were happy to do the dance with us in the draft last year that yielded us both Blakey and Rowbottom, because we are reasonable and fair in our trades and don't fluff around and play hard ball.

It also allows us to get on with other deals.
Trade periods need to be looked at as a whole, not individual trades imo.

Player will only go to X, opposing team offers and won’t negotiate, moving on the trade is necessary to target other priorities.
If you hold out it could compromise the whole period.

I personally like the way the clubs goes about it. Sure I’d like a bit more sometimes but sometimes it’s better to just move on.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC

My understanding is what may stuff that up is points match, especially for Gulden. There is no rule stopping us from trading first and second. The whole matching value with third rounders will be difficult and probably put us in a s**t position in terms of trade leverage ie player worth 20-30 now 30-40 as they can hold out knowing we need points.

Definitely possible to do, just the third and second order effects that could make other things difficult.

Apart from using pick from 2020 in the 2020, could potentially split it from say 10 to 17 and 20 odd, secure academy player and get another potential gem. That or use a pick in 10-15 with a player to push up draft ie pick 6-7 get quality and use a collection of picks in second/third to secure.

Lots and lots of options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back