Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Jack to announce next week from Sydney is what I’m told

In 2 minds about playing on
Longmire in Saturday’s post match conference deflected from talk about Jack in 2020 when asked about him playing on to talk about the next two rounds. Even though he was talking up about 2020 until that point he was keen to change topic. Seems about right that Jack will pull the pin.

Membrey is no Adam Goodes (who is) but he is a good player

well goodish...

I have never seen Membrey do anything against any really good defender. He’s basically a Sam Reid who can at least kick bags against cellar dwellers, so I’ll give him that.

So a question for all the gurus, we are clearing Tippett, Grundy, McVeigh, Smith and maybe Jack from our books. How much cap space do people think we are freeing up, and what will we do with it? I imagine some got eaten up by things like Blakey's extension and giving Dawson a bit more, but are we cashed up enough for a big fish?

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
So a question for all the gurus, we are clearing Tippett, Grundy, McVeigh, Smith and maybe Jack from our books. How much cap space do people think we are freeing up, and what will we do with it? I imagine some got eaten up by things like Blakey's extension and giving Dawson a bit more, but are we cashed up enough for a big fish?
I'm just hoping we can get some players like Tomlinson or Sier in, players we can offer a better deal at than their current clubs but not break our bank in process.

I have never seen Membrey do anything against any really good defender. He’s basically a Sam Reid who can at least kick bags against cellar dwellers, so I’ll give him that.

yeah Reid or Membrey who do you take going forward?

I'm just hoping we can get some players like Tomlinson or Sier in, players we can offer a better deal at than their current clubs but not break our bank in process.

This!

These types will take us further than a singular big fish.

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
without any evidence to back it up, I suspect many longish contracts a re front loaded. Kennedy, jack etc would not be on top coin at this stage ofr their contracts. even Buddy's but that is an outlier for the sheer size..

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

Maybe, we cleared Hanners and Rohan last year just so we were under the cap this year but there could be some future savings opened up as a result (assuming we frontloaded a few of last seasons re-signings that had contracts starting this year). Tippett is the remaining amount of his agreed payout that didn't fit under last years cap, not his actual contract and I don't think the retiring 4 would be on as too big an amount as some expect.

So we'll have money but with Buddy's contact rising still, new contracts signed and only a small bump in the cap it won't be a warchest.

Maybe two good B-Grade players.

Maybe, we cleared Hanners and Rohan last year just so we were under the cap this year but there could be some future savings opened up as a result (assuming we frontloaded a few of last seasons re-signings that had contracts starting this year). Tippett is the remaining amount of his agreed payout that didn't fit under last years cap, not his actual contract and I don't think the retiring 4 would be on as too big an amount as some expect.

So we'll have money but with Buddy's contact rising still, new contracts signed and only a small bump in the cap it won't be a warchest.

Could that become three good B-grade players if we were able to trade someone in if Jones goes?

Agree on Seir. Could be a JPK-style steal where we snare a player we know can be great but get them when they are still on the fringe. I'd prefer we throw decent contracts at guys like Seir than try to lure established guns like Coniglio.

Right, but if we estimate they were all at least the average and Tippet's leftovers about the same, that's what, 5 x 400k? so 2 million cleared as a very rough wild guess with no actual evidence of any kind :)

To be honest we were going decently in the top 4 for most of last year. Then after the infamous Gold Coast game we hit a brick wall and the cracks started to show. We were basically never the same again. This season was the continual decline from the second half of last season. 0-6 to making the finals papered over a lot of the cracks and it was only a matter of time. Perhaps Beatson and co believed in our old core too much because of all of this.
I actually thought we were arguably a better side in 2017 (after 0-6) than we were in 2016. Not sure what happened in the Geelong semi-final, but just watch that Essendon elimination final. It was champagne football.

People's thoughts on James Cousins from Hawthorn? I think he's an impressive young midfielder when he's given the opportunities, he's only 21. He'd currently be behind Worpel, Mitchell, O'Meara, Shiels, Smith, Wingard and Scully who have all had greater midfield minutes than Cousins. There'd be an opportunity for him to slot straight into our young midfield group and play on the inside.

Just spit-balling.. we all know how the last Hawthorn midfielder who wasn't getting opportunities turned out for us :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back