List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Oh yeah but I meant like total games lost, not just to retirement.

And I guess those five were more integral to our 22 than the 4 who will retire now are. None are currently in our side. So it will have more of an effect on the overall list than it will on our best 22.
Yeah that's a fair point. Only Macca would have been in the side next year but it's still incredible and sad to be losing 4 premiership heroes and 200-gamers.

s**t now I feel bad for retiring Kieren already.

We've currently got just shy of 800 games of experience retiring at year end. If Kieren goes, it'll be over 1000.

Anyone know of a club who's lost that much experience in a single off season in recent history???
Don't forget 178 games from Tippett who has contributed as much as Smith this year, so ~1200 games

McVeigh, Grundy, Jack, Smith have played a combined 12 games this year so it isn't that big of a deal

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I have no idea if this Wines talk is legit - I strongly suspect it isn't - but just the thought of it makes me excited. He's couldn't be more perfect for what we need.

A consistent inside midfielder
Right in the middle of mid 20's - the kind of age we need more of at the club (we have plenty of young guys, we need prime aged guys)
Another leader to prop up our leadership with a huge bunch of experience walking out the door at the end of the year
Unreliable source but thought I'd mention it. Haven't given you guys any ammunition for abuse for a little while now.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Don't forget 178 games from Tippett who has contributed as much as Smith this year, so ~1200 games

McVeigh, Grundy, Jack, Smith have played a combined 12 games this year so it isn't that big of a deal
So it would be like Geelong only getting 12 games from Ablett, Selwood, Taylor & Tuohy this year & then retiring.

So it would be like Geelong only getting 12 games from Ablett, Selwood, Taylor & Tuohy this year & then retiring.
Exactly. Rather than players who are still extremely high level contributors

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Exactly. Rather than players who are still extremely high level contributors
Slightly off topic, but after you pumped up the tyres of Greg Wells last night and what a wonderful job hes done did you recall that he drafted Jackson Thurlow 2 picks before Collingwood selected Brodie Grundy in 2012? Given he let Mumford go to the swans in 09, in favour of keeping Mark Blake, and that Brad Ottens retired in 2011 you would have thought he would have jumped at the chance of taking the games now premier ruckman.

Should our club still aspire to be like him? or should we accept that all recruiters/list managers dont get it right 100% of the time.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Slightly off topic, but after you pumped up the tyres of Greg Wells last night and what a wonderful job hes done did you recall that he drafted Jackson Thurlow 2 picks before Collingwood selected Brodie Grundy in 2012? Given he let Mumford go to the swans in 09, in favour of keeping Mark Blake, and that Brad Ottens retired in 2011 you would have thought he would have jumped at the chance of taking the games now premier ruckman.

Should our club still aspire to be like him? or should we accept that all recruiters/list managers dont get it right 100% of the time.
The highlights reel only gets played for the highlights!

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney

The good ones get it right 80% of the time - as did Beatson.

The 20% he got wrong tended to be when he got too funky with 1st round draft picks.

The headline “the Swans sprung the first surprise of draft night” always caused me to groan.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
The good ones get it right 80% of the time - as did Beatson.

The 20% he got wrong tended to be when he got too funky with 1st round draft picks.

The headline “the Swans sprung the first surprise of draft night” always caused me to groan.

Yup. Sometimes best available is actually best available

Absolutely no point having a second round pick in this year’s draft

We can find value in the second round...

Alternatively package our second with our first in 2020 (which would be useless anyway as we have academy selections) to get another first rounder this year..

We can find value in the second round...

Alternatively package our second with our first in 2020 (which would be useless anyway as we have academy selections) to get another first rounder this year..

So you want another draft haul of at least 4 kids? Say two in the first round and then more with our later picks? That would be more preferable to you than using them to bring in some experience?

Adam Goodes - Pick 43
Luke Parker - Pick 40
Daniel Hannebery - Pick 30
Jordan Dawson - Pick 56
George Hewett - Pick 32

Plus more. You can get value in the second round. Nat Fyfe was pick 20.

Adam Goodes - Pick 43
Luke Parker - Pick 40
Daniel Hannebery - Pick 30
Jordan Dawson - Pick 56
George Hewett - Pick 32

I am not saying there’s not worthy players later in the draft (hello! Worpel!) but I just don’t think our list needs any more kids other than the one we could get with our highest non-shenanigan pick in a decade. We need some established talent!

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Plus more. You can get value in the second round. Nat Fyfe was pick 20.
We've gotten so much value out of the Rookie Draft as well. At one point our best side was dominated by Rookie Draft selections.

There's a diamond in the rough somewhere there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

So you want another draft haul of at least 4 kids? Say two in the first round and then more with our later picks? That would be more preferable to you than using them to bring in some experience?

Personally yes, rebuild through the draft. We need genuine mids (not flankers, but genuine hard at it mids). This is a mid draft. Would be nice to grab a couple. Whilst I'm not against a trade or two, I'm against it with our foirst rounder- in fact I'd like another first (maybe through Jones leaving or whatever). I'd rather trade in the later rounds or our 2020 picks.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
I am not saying there’s not worthy players later in the draft (hello! Worpel!) but I just don’t think our list needs any more kids other than the one we could get with our highest non-shenanigan pick in a decade. We need some established talent!
I agree we need a few quality players in that 25 - 29 year age bracket. Ready made.

We've gotten so much value out of the Rookie Draft as well. At one point our best side was dominated by Rookie Draft selections.

There's a diamond in the rough somewhere there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Trading for the sake or trading is silly too. They have to be the right players, that suit your side.

Personally yes, rebuild through the draft. We need genuine mids (not flankers, but genuine hard at it mids). This is a mid draft. Would be nice to grab a couple. Whilst I'm not against a trade or two, I'm against it with our foirst rounder- in fact I'd like another first (maybe through Jones leaving or whatever). I'd rather trade in the later rounds or our 2020 picks.

Then with your strategy, I look forward to us finishing even lower than we have this year, and then hearing your thoughts when we’ve not even got a high pick to show for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back