HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners
I always love a bit of re writing of history, sure Mitchel won a Brownlow after leaving us, but at the time of the trade he was a promising midfielder who had played 65 games over 5 years and was ranked as our fourth best midfielder.

Pick 14 was reasonable value for what he was rated at the time.

Just the same as someone like Jones is only worth a very late first or early second round pick at present.

If St Kilda gets more out of him and that standing improves, good on them and their development work.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yah, ancient history.. What was untrue?

Righto..flawed ranking system. it was never reasonable.

Our list management has been shite and our drafting really no better.
At least they're trying to rectify the drafting by getting Dalrymple in, but yes looking forward to lauding the Saints.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
WW, did/do you agree with the length of Buds contract? Reckon we went full brain explosion with that, concerned me then, still does.

Have to be honest the Length still staggers Me. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall with the negotiations. Surely Pickering as Franklin's manager along with Buddy would have demanded a price but The Length ? Club has to have had packaged the whole thing so I guess When he is done and only then will we be able to decide has it all been worth it. I know one thing I will never regret the day he pulled on a Swans Jumper. I sat at the MCG one night and watched him tear us to shreds all the while thinking what it would be like to have him playing for us. Dream come true. Never thought I would see the day when I thought we would have a player that would rival Lockett for greatness at the club. Privileged to have had them both.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Don't we already have a "Mitchell, Buddy, Tippet, COLA and the Trade Ban" thread for those who feel the need to agonise over those decisions ? Depending on whether you're a glass half full, glass half empty or "I'll glass the b@a%**** who knocked over my f*£king beer" type of person, the debate could rage until Buddy's contract finishes or Mitchell gets run over by the Swans bus.

We need to focus the debate on the forthcoming follies of post season trade period 2019.

Perhaps we should organise separate draft threads by year.

Mods ?

Have to be honest the Length still staggers Me. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall with the negotiations. Surely Pickering as Franklin's manager along with Buddy would have demanded a price but The Length ?
It was stated pretty publicly and clearly at the time that the length was required to prevent it being matched. GWS or Hawthorn could have paid the same amount of money but weren't willing to do it over 9 years.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't we already have a "Mitchell, Buddy, Tippet, COLA and the Trade Ban" thread for those who feel the need to agonise over those decisions ? Depending on whether you're a glass half full, glass half empty or "I'll glass the b@a%**** who knocked over my f*£king beer" type of person, the debate could rage until Buddy's contract finishes or Mitchell gets run over by the Swans bus.

We need to focus the debate on the forthcoming follies of post season trade period 2019.

Perhaps we should organise separate draft threads by year.

Mods ?

Eddie McGuire, is that you? Now c’mon jolly old ignorant beetroot faced fat man...you can’t have it your way all time!

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Well the point does stand. I hope we don't take the first deal offered for our good players.

Valid concern.

In a post Rohan/Jetta/Mitchell world, opposition clubs know that the Swans tend to roll over the moment a player wants to go “home”.

Here’s hoping we dig our heels in on Papley (and perhaps Jones too).

Oh, and get Wines.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
No, Gerard Healy says that in “hindsight” it was a poor trade.

Once again, re-writing history based on another two years of football and the development that came after he focused on getting himself far fitter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No. He said it was the worst trade in history. I heard him say it on 3AW. He may have referred to it as being a poor trade on a different Occassion. I think Gerard knows a lot more about the trade than you.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Might be reading too much in to it but got a feeling Daniher might be waiting to see if Worsfold is gone. Rutten comes in he might stay. So those that think the sky is going to fall in on us if Joe becomes a Swan there is hope !

Parky79

All Australian
Jul 9, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Sydney
Might be reading too much in to it but got a feeling Daniher might be waiting to see if Worsfold is gone. Rutten comes in he might stay. So those that think the sky is going to fall in on us if Joe becomes a Swan there is hope !
They are announcing a transition/handover to Rutten in 2021, Woosha will def coach in 2020.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
They are announcing a transition/handover to Rutten in 2021, Woosha will def coach in 2020.

Yes I read that and once it gets announced I was just suggesting Daniher with that in mind may decide to stay. Tom In an Exclusive To 7 Browne said last night that Essendon were expecting a decision from Daniher before trade period starts. Continuously states the obvious does Tom which he thinks makes captivating news. A Grade Dill.

Parky79

All Australian
Jul 9, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Sydney
If Papley goes, JD comes in, i think this is basically the equation. Swans want to keep a top 10 pick and get JD.
Jones separate - comes down to $$, waiting to see if he gets a better deal, same as Jake Llyod, who was waiting for Dan H and Gary R to be moved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parky79

All Australian
Jul 9, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes I read that and once it gets announced I was just suggesting Daniher with that in mind may decide to stay. Tom In an Exclusive To 7 Browne said last night that Essendon were expecting a decision from Daniher before trade period starts. Continuously states the obvious does Tom which he thinks makes captivating news. A Grade Dill.
Agree - but all reporters seem to be saying the same things now. If he wants to go, he will arrive at the SCG. Both clubs are simply waiting on him. Neither will blink, as they both want a stronger hand in trade situation. To me 1 top 10 pick gets it done, 2 years ago it would have been 2

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure how to link but Tom Morris on the couch last night had his say on the Daniher trade
Is this what you are referring to?

SWANS’ HESITATION WITH ESSENDON SPEARHEAD

The potential trade of Joe Daniher to the Sydney Swans has hit a mini road block, with Tom Morris telling On The Couch “everyone is waiting for someone else to make the first move”.

Daniher has been linked with a move north ever since he was spotted catching up with Swans chief executive Tom Harley in August.

While Daniher and Harley have stressed they caught up with friends, the 25-year-old is understood to be strongly considering changing clubs.

The Swans have a history of prying key forwards out of Victorian based clubs, with Lance Franklin, Barry Hall and Tony Lockett all enjoying their time in Sydney.

Daniher could very well do the same, but Morris suggested the trade could hinge on Tom Papley joining Carlton.

“It’s getting more real by the week, this Joe Daniher story,” Morris said.

“The Sydney Swans - I’ve got no doubt they want him - but I also think there’s a bit of caution there because they understand Joe Daniher’s had some problems with injuries.

“Essendon’s not going to stand in Joe Daniher’s way if a good trade comes back and Joe Daniher wants to leave. But who makes the first move is the crucial point.

“I believe that if Tom Papley gets to Carlton for Pick 7 or Pick 8 - depending on the priority pick for Gold Coast - that Joe Daniher will end up getting his way to Sydney, and that pick will go to Essendon.”

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Papley out for Daniher essentially

Hmm

Not that I want it but since it is looking more likely I wonder how our team will look with Daniher in it, especially when it comes to how we setup our forward line.

I mean assuming (and this is a big if) we have Naismith back that means we have Buddy, Daniher, Reid, McCartin, Blakey, Sinclair and Naismith who are all probably best 22 players, but can we fit all of them into the team?

Would McCartin become a full time defender? What about Reid and Sinclair, both of whom are actually forwards, even if they don't play there much. Would Blakey be a full time midfielder who sometimes drifts forward?

Also what are we going to do in terms of trying to keep the ball in our forward 50 as anyway you look at it our forward line is going to consist of a lot of ocean liners and not a lot of speed boats.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
This crap about being bent over in trades is just that. Crap.

Ollie Florent stacks up pretty well in my opinion as compared with the draft picks above him in 2016.

But much more than that, we're trading humans, not cattle. If a player wants to go, let them go. Try to get the best deal you can without looking like Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon.

Focus on the players you have and fostering an environment for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back