List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still unsure as to why Cameron would want to go to Collingwood behind Grundy.

Sydney Swans

Darcy Cameron – Believed likely to join Collingwood via trade. He had also been linked to GWS, Carlton and North Melbourne. Out of contract.

Zak Jones – Likely to join St Kilda via trade. Also previously linked to Melbourne, North Melbourne and Essendon. Out of contract.

Tom Papley – Still being pursued by Carlton and North Melbourne despite reports the Swans will hold him to his lengthy contract. Contracted until the end of 2023.

Would make more sense if he went to Carlton with Kruezer likely to finish up in a year or so.

I would even go as far as wanting Jacobs from Adelaide for a two year deal if nothing else, as a cheap & quick fix to our ruck problems to make us instantly competitive.
GWS have proven by bringing back an ageing & battered Mumford that you need a contest in the ruck at the very minimum & then anything can happen.
Mummy did that against one of the most dominant ruckman-midfielders the game has ever seen.
I want Grundy though. I have no facts or rumours to back up my desire but it just makes sense for us to throw the world at him & pick 4 & 8 WILL be tempting for the Pies.
I mentioned Jacobs months ago but got shot down on that one (quite rightly).

Looking at the age profile of GWS they could conceivably be contesting for premierships for the next 4 - 5 years. They'd be happy with a quick fix but I don't think it suits us. We're looking at a rebuild over the next few seasons and will be contesting again in 2 - 3 years. We're better shopping for rucks in that 23 - 25 age bracket. Now that would include Grundy but I just don't see how he's going to get to us. He'll cost a bundle and I think we're better targeting quality mids. A serviceable tap ruckman would do us.

I am still unsure as to why Cameron would want to go to Collingwood behind Grundy.

Sydney Swans

Darcy Cameron – Believed likely to join Collingwood via trade. He had also been linked to GWS, Carlton and North Melbourne. Out of contract.

Zak Jones – Likely to join St Kilda via trade. Also previously linked to Melbourne, North Melbourne and Essendon. Out of contract.

Tom Papley – Still being pursued by Carlton and North Melbourne despite reports the Swans will hold him to his lengthy contract. Contracted until the end of 2023.

Would make more sense if he went to Carlton with Kruezer likely to finish up in a year or so.
Cameron can be a forward and pinch in the ruck. Similar to how Lynch plays for them now

Thanks for link, will read. I prefer him cause he's a unit like Papley and will be able to play from round 1 next year with talent seemingly the equal.
Serong very likely gone to Crows anyhow, he's what they need. But guess we find out on the day...

I think with a top draft tier seemingly so stacked with quality mids (Rowell, Anderson, Serong, Kemp, Robertson, Stephens, Flanders, Green) we’d be bonkers not to use our first pick on a mid. And if we somehow get a second one in the top 10 and don’t use it for trades (which I hope is not the case), I’d use that one on a mid as well as opposed to a McAsey or Gould. Quality key defenders can be found later in the draft and we especially have a proven track record at finding them.

Spot on

Don’t like don’t read
Couldn't have said it better myself.

While I've barely participated in the thread myself, we love how much activity gets generated in these draft/trade discussions

I think with a top draft tier seemingly so stacked with quality mids (Rowell, Anderson, Serong, Kemp, Robertson, Stephens, Flanders, Green) we’d be bonkers not to use our first pick on a mid. And if we somehow get a second one in the top 10 and don’t use it for trades (which I hope is not the case), I’d use that one on a mid as well as opposed to a McAsey or Gould. Quality key defenders can be found later in the draft and we especially have a proven track record at finding them.
Disagree in so much as I can without ever having seen any of these guys play. :p

IF Papley goes we simply have to get in a replacement, Ronke's form for most of the year was pretty ordinary and he is a borderline case for whether he improves, or flames out given he wasn't even making tackles when so down on the offensive end too. Hope he carries on with it.
Flanders seems to be well able to pinch hit or more in the middle given his build and jnr footy.

McCasey looks a Hurley, McGovern quality strong marking KPD I'd love us to invest in - having not done so...ever? Gould also looks a good player in the Reg mould, strong, ,good mark - a bit short. Possibly Stewey Dew bod waiting to happen though.

Maybe we can use what we get with Jones and 23 to move up and take a mid? That gives us a top notch spine in one draft.

But I'd guess the club is more aligned to your thinking - get a quality mid, and manufacture a KPD from spare parts.

I'd much rather see 3 first round quality youngsters in the team next year than a couple of injury prone vets coming here on deals soley to protect their earnings given their injury history (Daniher and Crouch). That's my general thoughts every year, and it would take a surer bet than Daniher to change my mind.

Anyway whatever we do I hope we keep and use the number 4 pick.

He is gone mick
I think Paps is gone too. My worry is that we don't settle for a good trade instead of a great trade. I've got zero faith in our traders.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

While I've barely participated in the thread myself, we love how much activity gets generated in these draft/trade discussions
Yes you could. How do i know if i like it if i don't read it?

Disagree in so much as I can without ever having seen any of these guys play. :p

IF Papley goes we simply have to get in a replacement, Ronke's form for most of the year was pretty ordinary and he is a borderline case for whether he improves, or flames out given he wasn't even making tackles when so down on the offensive end too. Hope he carries on with it.
Flanders seems to be well able to pinch hit or more in the middle given his build and jnr footy.

McCasey looks a Hurley, McGovern quality strong marking KPD I'd love us to invest in - having not done so...ever? Gould also looks a good player in the Reg mould, strong, ,good mark - a bit short. Possibly Stewey Dew bod waiting to happen though.

Maybe we can use what we get with Jones and 23 to move up and take a mid? That gives us a top notch spine in one draft.

But I'd guess the club is more aligned to your thinking - get a quality mid, and manufacture a KPD from spare parts.

I'd much rather see 3 first round quality youngsters in the team next year than a couple of injury prone vets coming here on deals soley to protect their earnings given their injury history (Daniher and Crouch). That's my general thoughts every year, and it would take a surer bet than Daniher to change my mind.

Anyway whatever we do I hope we keep and use the number 4 pick.

Yeah all fair thoughts, I guess I am just cautious about going too youth-centric next year as it could lead to even less wins than this year. If we lost two guys about to enter their primes, I think replacing them with 18 year olds will mean we only feel their losses even more. At least if we replace them with some blokes in their prime, we’ve got a good shot at being as competitive as we were this year, but even better as our cygnets like Hewett, Florent, Dawson etc naturally improve.

That’s also why I’d be happy to use our first on Kemp and not see him play any senior footy next year!

If we do lose Papley I'm going to go out on a limb and say we shouldn't replace him with a like for like. I'd rather see us invest in a star midfielder.

Look at our stats this year:

17th for Inside 50s
17th for hitouts
16th for clearances
17th for centre clearances
15th for stoppage clearances
4th for marks inside 50

Our forward line actually did really well for the amount of ball they had to work with. Papley is definitely a loss up forward but we still have players like Hayward, Menzel and Ronke (if he gets his form back) to fill that gap.

If we do lose Papley I'm going to go out on a limb and say we shouldn't replace him with a like for like. I'd rather see us invest in a star midfielder.

17th for Inside 50s
17th for hitouts
16th for clearances
4th for marks inside 50

Our forward line actually did really well for the amount of ball they had to work with. Papley is definitely a loss up forward but we still have players like Hayward, Menzel and Ronke (if he gets his form back) to fill that gap.

And hopefully more than half a season out of Buddy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there’s a career path where Papley has peaked and doesn’t get any better

Maybe it ends up a blessing in disguise
Let's go the scorned lover path and start saying he was never any good anyway.

He's a top quality small forward and one of my favourite players but small forwards don't make or break teams.

Sydney Swans

Collingwood looking for another Jesse white are they?

Let's go the scorned lover path and start saying he was never any good anyway.

He's a top quality small forward and one of my favourite players but small forwards don't make or break teams.

Ha ha well there is that
But that is once the trades done and we have 2 first rounders

17th for Inside 50s
17th for hitouts
16th for clearances
4th for marks inside 50

Now you're just going to start up the same "it's cause we don't have a proper ruck" argument again. :mad:
Or maybe I am...

Ha ha well there is that
But that is once the trades done and we have 2 first rounders
That'd be nice.

As a fan I'm willing to be patient so if we take a couple of quality draftees then so be it. If we do it right we could position ourselves very nicely to have an extended premiership window in a few years.

Now you're just going to start up the same "it's cause we don't have a proper ruck" argument again. :mad:
Or maybe I am...
Nah I said before a serviceable tap ruckman might be all we need. Sinclair tries his guts out around the ground but the fact is we were second last for hitouts. Naismith doesn't excite me but if he can start getting hitouts and, God forbid, hitouts to advantage then our team could look very different.

Our whole game plan was based on being a clearance machine and we are absolutely dreadful at it now.

We have three medium-sized blokes who are all excellent marks inside 50 in Heeney, Parker and Hayward. They have also each had 25+ goal seasons, despite one being only 21, and the other two never having played as permanent forwards. No reason those three can’t all be 35-40+ goal players a season.

What a supporting cast to Buddy they would be inside 50!

We have three medium-sized blokes who are all excellent marks inside 50 in Heeney, Parker and Hayward. They have also each had 25+ goal seasons, despite one being only 21, and the other two never having played as permanent forwards. No reason those three can’t all be 35-40+ goal players a season.

I know you want Parker out of the middle but I still think he needs to stay there. Rest forward and snap a few by all means.

I actually think Menzel with a pre-season under his belt and injury free could be the answer. Plays small or tall.

And Daniher kicking 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back