List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if they picked them a year early we have real issues. Obviously they didn’t.

the reality is with list management you have to forecast forward. if you are going to bring in a ready made elite out of contract or soon to be out of contract player you have to start the ground work for it early, a year or more out. you can't wait until the talent identification has been somewhat finalised in october next year to then flick the switch and attract a player, because you know at that point you think the draft pool is crap.

it just doesnt work that way.

so what clubs will do is have an understand of the different age groups and their assessment of the talent pool. so they can understand what they are future trading.

like brian said the selection of max king and bytel indicates we really rate a draftees underage year and are not put off from an injury affected year.

so going back to my comment if the assessment is next years draft is not as strong it sounds like a good year to bring in some elite talent where trading a first rounder will not hurt you as badly. of course its a forward assessment and not guaranteed.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
the reality is with list management you have to forecast forward. if you are going to bring in a ready made elite out of contract or soon to be out of contract player you have to start the ground work for it early, a year or more out. you can't wait until the talent identification has been somewhat finalised in october next year to then flick the switch and attract a player.

it just doesnt work that way.

so what clubs will do is have an understand of the different age groups and their assessment of the talent pool. so they can understand what they are future trading.

like brian said the selection of max king and bytel indicates we really rate a draftees underage year and are not put off from an injury affected year.

so going back to my comment if the assessment is next years draft is not as strong it sounds like a good year to bring in some elite talent where trading a first rounder will not hurt you as badly. of course its a forward assessment and not guaranteed.
There is no way you know if players are good enough in their final year of afl footy let alone the year before. Also you don’t know what you drafted for maybe 3 or 4 years. You don’t need to make a decision about trading or using next years pick until well into next year. There is no point. We could have pick one or pick 18. A great draft year just guarantees some great players just a poor draft year guarantees less great players there will duds in great years and stars in poor years. And you can bet certainty on one thing. The top 10 bottom ages this year will 100% not be the best 10 drafted next year and that is why you don’t make decisions now

There is no way you know if players are good enough in their final year of afl footy let alone the year before. Also you don’t know what you drafted for maybe 3 or 4 years. You don’t need to make a decision about trading or using next years pick until well into next year. There is no point. We could have pick one or pick 18. A great draft year just guarantees some great players just a poor draft year guarantees less great players there will duds in great years and stars in poor years. And you can bet certainty on one thing. The top 10 bottom ages this year will 100% not be the best 10 drafted next year and that is why you don’t make decisions now

let me simplify this for you...

you don't think clubs make an assessment on upcoming drafts so they can understand the worth of the picks they are trading out and the players they pursue?

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
let me simplify this for you...

you don't think clubs make an assessment on upcoming drafts so they can understand the worth of the picks they are trading out and the players they pursue?
Of course they look at everything in advance but let me simplify it for you. The club won’t make a decision until next year because there are stars in every draft. Also they would have no idea what stars are wanting to leave their club yet. They also don’t have a clue of our pick number. We most likely would not have taken king if we could have got kelly for example and this is rated a really strong draft.

Of course they look at everything in advance but let me simplify it for you. The club won’t make a decision until next year because there are stars in every draft. Also they would have no idea what stars are wanting to leave their club yet. They also don’t have a clue of our pick number. We most likely would not have taken king if we could have got kelly for example and this is rated a really strong draft.

who said anything about a decision? no one said a decision had to be made now?

all that was said is it sounds like a great draft to trade your first rounder out for an elite player and to get that elite player the work has to start now

having said that we have already made a few decisions, we traded out some future picks and traded in some others. that means they are making a call on the upcoming draft and the picks they currently had.

i dont know why you are arguing this point... oh thats right you like to argue for the sake of it. i think you are obsessed with the idea that you are more right than anyone else on here. utterly obsessed.

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we have the season your predicting, there is absolutely
No way Richo survives!
Don't think the list is as bad as they performed this year.
With the draw we have for 2019 I'm actually expecting
Finals! Not kidding either, we grossly underachieved this year for a variety
Of reasons. With a bit of luck and some early momentum we
Could do wonderful things next year!
I just watched an old Saints game against Collingwood 2016. Riewoldt and McCartin were out injured by half time and we stormed home for a considerable win. Newnes, Sinclair, Bruce, Roberton, Billings, Acres and a few more were WAY better than they performed this year. Was definitely a slump all round. Have faith lads.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

all that was said is it sounds like a great draft to trade your first rounder out for an elite player and to get that elite player the work has to start now

having said that we have already made a few decisions, we traded out some future picks and traded in some others. that means they are making a call on the upcoming draft and the picks they currently had.

i dont know why you are arguing this point... oh thats right you like to argue for the sake of it. i think you are obsessed with the idea that you are more right than anyone else on here. utterly obsessed.[/

i dont know why you are arguing this point... oh thats right you like to argue for the sake of it. i think you are obsessed with the idea that you are more right than anyone else on here. utterly obsessed.

Ok then.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have heard there’s quite a bit of disharmony at GWS, a lot of players looking at their options for next year.

Probably looked at J Cameron’s bank balance.

Would be very very disappointed if we are not into Touk Miller, Ed Langdon

Hopeful if Stkilda return to mid table we are huge chance with Kelly , when combined
that he is living in Elwood probably.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
I find it a little weird that we brought in 9 players this year, 8 without Alabakis, and only 2 out of 8 are true mids. Kent and Hind the closest of the rest but have been playing forward and back much more than mid. Seems like we've gone out of our way to avoid picking up many true mids for years now. Can't say I'm a fan of that strategy.

I find it a little weird that we brought in 9 players this year, 8 without Alabakis, and only 2 out of 8 are true mids. Kent and Hind the closest of the rest but have been playing forward and back much more than mid. Seems like we've gone out of our way to avoid picking up many true mids for years now. Can't say I'm a fan of that strategy.
Hannebery

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
The issue isn't our lack of mids, it is our lack of quality mids.

No point bringing in more average midfielders just for the sake of it.

Steven, Ross, Steele, Hannebery, Dunstan, Clark, Armitage, Bytel are all pure mids, Gresham we hope can make the transition, Acres too. Then we've got guys like Sinclair, Billings and Phillips on the wings.

If we can get midfielders that are an improvement on what we have all well and good, but we already have plenty of average ones IMO.

The Boar

Premium Gold
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
We have mids on the list, they need to develop, is what the changes tell me.
Look for Billings, Gresham, Clark, Coffield to get more minutes. Hopefully Bytel comes along also.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The issue isn't our lack of mids, it is our lack of quality mids.

No point bringing in more average midfielders just for the sake of it.

Steven, Ross, Steele, Hannebery, Dunstan, Clark, Armitage, Bytel are all pure mids, Gresham we hope can make the transition, Acres too. Then we've got guys like Sinclair, Billings and Phillips on the wings.

If we can get midfielders that are an improvement on what we have all well and good, but we already have plenty of average ones IMO.

Our best mid is Jack Steven who was a late pick. If you don't draft them you don't know how good they might be. Melbourne went and got another inside mid despite looking as if they have more than they need already.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel like we brought in a bunch of forwards to give us the ability to play Gresh and Billings in the midfield more.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Our best mid is Jack Steven who was a late pick. If you don't draft them you don't know how good they might be. Melbourne went and got another inside mid despite looking as if they have more than they need already.
So did we.

We took a midfielder with a pick just one pick away to the one we took Jack with.

Last edited:

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel like we brought in a bunch of forwards to give us the ability to play Gresh and Billings in the midfield more.
I feel like we brought them in to balance the list and we've succeeded.

Maybe we could have done without Wilkie balance-wise - maybe if we'd taken Marlion Pickett instead we'd be absolutely bang on, but we're really close to playing two sides in their natural positions as it is and you can't get more balanced than that.

Trade our first pick to the Suns for Ben King & some 2nd/3rd rounders for points to use on Biggie, Voss, Milne & Peckett.

Throw the war chest at Coniglio/Kelly/Whitfield and get in the ear of Brandon Ellis if he keeps dropping in and out of the Tigers 22.

Other than that a senior state ruck to replace whoever doesn't make it between Longer and Pierce and mids if we have the spots after all the NGA/FS selections.

Biggest question is who makes way for 5-6 players to come in...

Newnes might go as a free agent. Dunstan possibly a trade option. Bruce and Lonie were talked about this off season. One of Pierce or Longer will go. Armo retires I assume. Going to be some tough calls either way.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Trade our first pick to the Suns for Ben King & some 2nd/3rd rounders for points to use on Biggie, Voss, Milne & Peckett.

Throw the war chest at Coniglio/Kelly/Whitfield and get in the ear of Brandon Ellis if he keeps dropping in and out of the Tigers 22.

Other than that a senior state ruck to replace whoever doesn't make it between Longer and Pierce and mids if we have the spots after all the NGA/FS selections.

Biggest question is who makes way for 5-6 players to come in...

Newnes might go as a free agent. Dunstan possibly a trade option. Bruce and Lonie were talked about this off season. One of Pierce or Longer will go. Armo retires I assume. Going to be some tough calls either way.
#1 picks in 2019 & 2020 reserved for JKelly (with something back).
Leave #1 pick in 2021 plus whatever for Bing.
Trade out excess mids/fwds for whatever we get in 2019.
Allocate this to Biggie and F/S if they’re good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back