List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Might be a bad comparison but reminds me of Westhoff or even Gilbo to a extent in terms of versatility. I happily carry him as the 4th bench player, I mean he can give a chop out in the ruck while being able to play multiple other positions making Acres a full time mid, giving Bruce a break and not make Carlisle play ruck when our ruck gets injured.

Daniel Wulf

Thoughts Bob Cobb ?

Last edited:

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Might be a bad comparison but reminds me of Westhoff or even Gilbo to a extent in terms of versatility. I happily carry him as the 4th bench player, I mean he can give a chop out in the ruck while being able to play multiple other positions making Acres a full time mid, giving Bruce a break and not make Carlisle play ruck when our ruck gets injured.
I think we’ll find out a lot more this year.. we’ve put in a lot of work with him, I.e senior training, programs, mentor ect. Have a feeling he’ll excel in the under 18’s. I’m secretly pumped about him and can’t wait to see his development throuought the year.

Those goals he kicked on GF day were amazing. Genuine skill and run from a kid that plays in the ruck. Agree though - at this stage it’s spoilt for choice where he plays..

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we’ll find out a lot more this year.. we’ve put in a lot of work with him, I.e senior training, programs, mentor ect. Have a feeling he’ll excel in the under 18’s. I’m secretly pumped about him and can’t wait to see his development throuought the year.

Those goals he kicked on GF day were amazing. Genuine skill and run from a kid that plays in the ruck. Agree though - at this stage it’s spoilt for choice where he plays..

For those of us who've never seen him, is he a kid who's grown up with the game and a natural footballer, or someone who has transitioned to the game and is learning as he goes?

I realise he's first generation aussie (dont know if he was born here or not) but you get my drift about growing up with the game.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Certainly do.Part of our next gen academy. In the curtain raiser to the GF this year he was clear best on. Played CHB, CHF and Ruck in that game.. went forward in the last half and kicked 3 ripping goals. Will cost us a few late round picks with points ( we traded in a few this draft for that reason ). If he keeps developing like I think - probably equivalent an early second rounder for nothing.
How does he go as a back an Mikka?

We are pretty set on key forwards but there's still a huge need for a quality intercept defender if we can find one.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
For those of us who've never seen him, is he a kid who's grown up with the game and a natural footballer, or someone who has transitioned to the game and is learning as he goes?

I realise he's first generation aussie (dont know if he was born here or not) but you get my drift about growing up with the game.
He was actually born in Sudan but moved here very young.. he's pretty much gone through the system like everyone. Under 12's ect right through. So he has natural feel for the game.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
How does he go as a back an Mikka?

We are pretty set on key forwards but there's still a huge need for a quality intercept defender if we can find one.
I think that's part of the game he needs work at.. At the moment he's all instinct and uses his height and skill through the middle.

When he did go back he looked good - but a little lost at times. Hoping he plays there a little more in the champs this year.

I’m unsure any of those kids are much good. Certainly Milney isn’t good enough. Boss goes ok. Know little about Frankie. The trade table is where we need to get it done.
They were bottom age 18s

A lot of players make giant strides once they hit top age. Tyson milne only played a few bottom age games this season but he will be a regular next season and might break out. Jackson voss played every single game from memory, and will be in a more leadership role next year and likely become a star player of the side.

Biggy 195cm as a 17 yr old. My tip is he will end up about 198cm, then he will really live up to his name.
And we get a chance to take him no matter what, because of academy? Similar to a father/son selection or a northern state selection?

And we get a chance to take him no matter what, because of academy? Similar to a father/son selection or a northern state selection?

Yeah, same as Sydney with Blakey or Collingwood with Quaynor. Free hit for points value which means that where ever someone selects him we have first right of refusal with a discount on that picks assumed value. You can make the value up but because other sides stretched the rules it means that your next highest pick is taken off you and put toward the value along with others to make up the cost.

If he is a top 3 pick we may be better to trade out our first pick and use later picks to make it up the points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, same as Sydney with Blakey or Collingwood with Quaynor. Free hit for points value which means that where ever someone selects him we have first right of refusal with a discount on that picks assumed value. You can make the value up but because other sides stretched the rules it means that your next highest pick is taken off you and put toward the value along with others to make up the cost.

If he is a top 3 pick we may be better to trade out our first pick and use later picks to make it up the points.
Nice how's he looking this season

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
They were bottom age 18s

A lot of players make giant strides once they hit top age. Tyson milne only played a few bottom age games this season but he will be a regular next season and might break out. Jackson voss played every single game from memory, and will be in a more leadership role next year and likely become a star player of the side.
If only it was that easy. Most times it doesn’t work that way

didn't we have another guy who was an academy player and another club got him last year before we could?

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
didn't we have another guy who was an academy player and another club got him last year before we could?
yes - the first year it was only in the rookie draft as a b rookie - they’d only been in the academy for a few weeks so seemed fair enough

Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Whilst I'd love for us to finally get a decent player through our academy or Father Son rule , I do think the club academy system further compromises the Draft , with some clubs making out like Bandits from it. The Eagles and Dockers luckily had their recent submission to have access to ALL indigenous talent in WA , through their academy systems , knocked back , and that's a good example of the sh*t some clubs will pull. I would prefer an uncompromised Draft.
IMO we missed out on at least one premiership because of the father-son rule.

All of these Rugby-State Academy Father/Son, and Next Generation Academy selections are far from ideal. I understand the romance behind the Father/Son and, apart from the recent Geelong dynasty (Ablett(s), Scarlett, Hawkins), I can't see it having any major effect on the competition. So, whilst it isn't great to have it, it isn't the worst thing in the world. Then we have the academies in the northern states which are understandable in order to promote the game, but when you have someone like Blakey who was always going to be playing football over rugby, or Hopper who was playing in the TAC Cup (hence minimal input from GWS re: his development) then it's starting to miss the point; it should only be for poaching talent that would otherwise be playing a different sport, if anything. And then we have the NGA, which is farcical. There is no reason why clubs should be getting any kind of top-end talent via these means, and this will be epitomised by us getting Biggy if he progresses to be a top 3-5 selection.

Compromising the draft for father/son? Sure, but that's a very tentative "sure". Everything else needs to be tossed out and, when it is, I fully expect us to have an elite kid ready to be picked the year after, such is St Kilda.

All of these Rugby-State Academy Father/Son, and Next Generation Academy selections are far from ideal. I understand the romance behind the Father/Son and, apart from the recent Geelong dynasty (Ablett(s), Scarlett, Hawkins), I can't see it having any major effect on the competition. So, whilst it isn't great to have it, it isn't the worst thing in the world. Then we have the academies in the northern states which are understandable in order to promote the game, but when you have someone like Blakey who was always going to be playing football over rugby, or Hopper who was playing in the TAC Cup (hence minimal input from GWS re: his development) then it's starting to miss the point; it should only be for poaching talent that would otherwise be playing a different sport, if anything. And then we have the NGA, which is farcical. There is no reason why clubs should be getting any kind of top-end talent via these means, and this will be epitomised by us getting Biggy if he progresses to be a top 3-5 selection.

Compromising the draft for father/son? Sure, but that's a very tentative "sure". Everything else needs to be tossed out and, when it is, I fully expect us to have an elite kid ready to be picked the year after, such is St Kilda.

The AFL made the academy rules too easy for GWS and then panicked when pressured by Melbourne clubs and gave them all sweet deals. Some clubs get whole areas that are just talent grabs, some have tiny areas. It's a stupidly unfair break up of zones. Also indigenous talent is easy to get to play and a club like Richmond or Melbourne just have to send a few footies up for them. I get trying to get a Sudanese kid to play footy instead of other sport but maybe the clubs should have scholarships for 4 players or something and run free academies as community service to get fans not as a grab.

They seem to find new ways to compromise the draft every year. No wonder it's getting harder to go from bottom 4 to top 4.

Snailspace13

Club Legend
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have read that next year isn't that flash other than the top picks. Am sure we will hear every variation going from here on. Somewhere it will be a superdraft. Good trading year possibly.

But I know nothing!
Knightmare has just released his Very Early 2019 Top 20 Draft Prospects and Hayden Young and Sam Flanders (2 of the Boys training with us this week)are included in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back