List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the rebuttal to that is something occurred 3 seasons ago? when there was list a bunch of optimism around the rebuild.

i agree a competitive 2018 where we played finals would have more than likely got us shiel, but sadly we didnt do it. just like previous seasons. until that happens we are no chance.
Isnt there any optimism around this list? Compared to 2015, it's far more advanced in terms of talent and potential with less experience compared to 2015, but theres only been two big changes, Roo and Joey. We brought in Hanners to compensate that with the natural improvement in our players, by all means Hanners isnt on the levels of the two but he still does what's required, provide a direction for the youngers to guide in.

Isnt there any optimism around this list? Compared to 2015, it's far more advanced in terms of talent and potential with less experience compared to 2015, but theres only been two big changes, Roo and Joey. We brought in Hanners to compensate that with the natural improvement in our players, by all means Hanners isnt on the levels of the two but he still does what's required, provide a direction for the youngers to guide in.

The other big change is that Armitage used to be able to play good footy back then.

I'd say the losses of Fisher, Dempster, Schneider, Ray and effectively Armitage are pretty significant as well. We certainly have more young talent on the list but our current veterans don't even begin to come close to the quality we had in 2015.

back then you still had the "we are on track to make the 4 by 2018". that's dead and buried now. the only thing talked about in 2019 is the inevitable sacking of richo, plus how hanners will go.

I've dragged SaintsSeptember off by his ears, he wastes too much time on this stupid forum and he has chores to do, he needs to mow lawns, dig holes , fill them in again , build me a shrubbery, paint the house.....then after i give him a coffee break i'll find something to fill in the rest of his morning.
You campaigners need to stop encouraging him.
I've always thought he was a lazy bastard. You give it to him, sister. Sent by Ruth, Drake's lord and master.

Updated AFL FA list released a couple of days ago is looking pretty thin now with Haynes gone.

Realistically the options I would be interested in are down to (in order of preference):
1. Nick Smith​
2. Brad Sheppard​
3. Rory Thompson​
4. Adam Tomlinson​
5. Tom Liberatore​

If we were a little closer to finals I would love to throw coin at Sam Jacobs or Matthew Kruezer. But not sure we are in the window for that yet.

With Haynes out of the picture we might have to either lower our standards, or look at moving for a 2020 FA (Whitfield, Grundy, Viney) or 2020 OOC (Hunter, DeGoey, Witherdon) and see if we can shake one loose a year early (unlikely but what the hell).
I think we're still in the 'future 2nd for a young-ish guy who needs opportunity' space this year.....

I'd be pretty happy with that as long as we don't lose any 1st 22 guys at the same time tbh

Coniglio deserves any amount we can offer him. We probably won’t land him, but we should try our best!

It was reported on SEN that GWS were increasingly confident of re-signing both Coniglio and Kelly.

I’d be surprised if either player left them. Their salary cap is much better shape after trading Shiel and Scully.

It was reported on SEN that GWS were increasingly confident of re-signing both Coniglio and Kelly.

I’d be surprised if either player left them. Their salary cap is much better shape after trading Shiel and Scully.
As much as I want Kelly at the club, I do like seeing players stay with the club that drafted them.
Let's just give the suspected Kelly money to Gresh and lock him away.

Most likely, but we should still have a crack anyways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast might be the team to raid. Although I cant think of too many on their list I would be interested in other than Jack Martin, Peter Wright, Ben King, and young Touk.

I'd be very happy with Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Bowes, Brodie, Fiorini, Lukosius, McLennan and Rankine as well.

King bookends, isn't that a nice thought?

Hopefully we end up with a few good stories, and some amazing fairytales, between those bookends

What spine...

Jake - King - Steele - King - Battle

My pet hate is people naming the centre in the spine of the team. I know that's how it's always been but you could put Hanners, Ross, Steven etc there as well. It makes so much more sense to name the ruck as that tall player with the bookend options.

Also Battle is going to be an ubermensch wingman who can play at either end of the ground in a pinch. Will be what Roo and Matty Richardson were in their last few years.

Saints 2021 Premiership team -

B: McKenzie - Carlisle - Roberton
HB: Webster - B.King - Coffield
C: Battle - Marshall - Acres
HF: Young - M.King - Long (c)
F: Membrey - McCartin - Parker
Foll: Hannebery - Ross (vc) - Steven
Int: Gresham - Billings - Clark - Laverde

'A Long time coming'

St Kilda's inspired choice of Ben Long as skipper going into 2021 has paid off huge dividends with the young indigenous leader taking home the Norm Smith medal as he led his side to a stunning 74 point premiership victory over Melbourne.

The day started with fireworks as the long running comparison between Paddy McCartin (Pick #1 in the 2014 draft) and Christian Petracca (Pick 2) came to a head before the ball was bounced.

As the now thriving McCartin (55 goals in 19 games) strode through the centre square to take up his forward post Petracca made his move with a shoulder bump. McCartin responded in kind using his bigger frame to flatten Petracca. It was a statement. A 'moment' for AFL folklore. The young forward will, however, surely come under MRP scrutiny as the act resulted in Petracca's collarbone being cracked and Melbourne starting the game a man down.

It mattered little on the day though as the Saints managed to use that momentum to get out to one of the hottest starts in Grand Final history. With 6 goals in the first 8 minutes the Demons were on the back foot all day. With McCartin, Matt Parker, Long (3 goals) and new Saint Jayden Laverde all hitting the board early Melbourne had no choice but to shuffle the deck and slow the game down.

Tom McDonald was moved into defence to assist younger brother Oscar and vice captain Steven May in trying to stop the barrage of inside 50 marks the Saints were racking up. While the score stopped ticking for a while, the damage was already done further afield.

There is a term in football we hear called 'sharking'. It's a tactic midfielders use to read the taps of the opposition ruckman in order to win the ball. Well if other teams shark, the Saints were a pack of Great Whites.

Rotating Rowan Marshall (14 possessions, 14 hitouts) and Max King (12 possessions, 4 hitouts, 1 goal.) through the ruck against the slower pair of Max Gawn (11 possessions, 38 hitouts) and Brayden Preuss (4 possessions, 21 hitouts) had the St Kilda midfield smelling blood. They essentially conceded the hitouts, sharked the clean taps of Gawn and Preuss, and cleared the ball time and time again.

It took until after half time for Melbourne to try something different with wingman Kade Kolodjasnij providing more mobile backup to Gawn. This left Preuss to play one out deep forward. Fighting against the likes of Jake Carlisle, Ben King and All Australian Josh Battle was always going to be a futile task, even with handy support from Sam Weideman (16 possessions, 2 goals).

But is was Ben Long who stole the day.

The aggressive half forward was questioned as the choice as skipper after the retirement of Jarryn Geary but he has helped mould Brett Ratten's team with a forward half as dangerous as any we have seen in the modern era. Alongside the AFL's "Bash Brothers" *insert pic of Bash Bros from Mighty Ducks* in Matt Parker and Robbie Young, Long set AFL records for tackles inside 50 and pressure acts in 2021. How he wasn't named All Australian is a mystery.

It was the complete game from the skipper who had 19 possessions (15 contested), 3 first 1/4 goals and an incredible 21 tackles, earning 7 free kicks for holding the ball in the process. His 25m rundown of speedster Jayden Hunt in the last 1/4 will be replayed for years to come.

The Saints fans will relish this drought breaking flag for those coming years also. The question going into next season will be: "How do the hunters handle being the hunted?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back