List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think everyone will. But that’s reality in my opinion. Is it worth trading say pick 3 for 8 & 10 for example ( try for another two best 22 players ). Or go for that star at pick 3?
Bit early to be looking at what do to with 3 as we've got no idea what the draft is going to look like at this stage.

I think if we finish bottom 3 we'd have a few guys put up their hand to leave and quite a brutal clean out to be honest.

I'll be surprised if we finish that low.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bit early to be looking at what do to with 3 as we've got no idea what the draft is going to look like at this stage.

I think if we finish bottom 3 we'd have a few guys put up their hand to leave and quite a brutal clean out to be honest.

I'll be surprised if we finish that low.
I’ll be shocked if we finish any higher.

Apr 5, 2016
Everywhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rowe is a saint. Guessing it’s for a more experienced player and extra leader around the group. From memory he has been in the Carlton leadership group in the past

Any able bodies are better than none. It will be interesting to see how we line up in defence now as I see Robbo as our most important and creative defender. Options to replace Robbo include Austin, Wilkie & Marsh. Perhaps they see Rowe as a backup for Brown. Clavarino hasnt played and will take some time to get going again after his ankle injury.

The other consideration is if Paddy cant play on they will need to move Battle back as a tall forward option, so need a replacement for him down back.

Last edited:

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't know why they'd go with Rowe when we've already got Nate Brown to take the gorillas and be a pure lockdown tall defender.

Would have preferred BJ to be honest.

If Brown goes does, we would have no one to adequately cover the gorillas. We'd be horribly exposed against guys like Dixon, Lynch, Hogan etc. With Carlisle and Robbo, we had the added security of an elite interceptor who could cover for an undersized and inexperienced defender, but we are now very thin indeed. Rowe is just a sensible insurance policy.

If Brown goes does, we would have no one to adequately cover the gorillas. We'd be horribly exposed against guys like Dixon, Lynch, Hogan etc. With Carlisle and Robbo, we had the added security of an elite interceptor who could cover for an undersized and inexperienced defender, but we are now very thin indeed. Rowe is just a sensible insurance policy.
He's a 31 year old who was cut from the wooden spoon side. So we shouldn't get too excited about him.

But as you say, it appears to be a sensible selection in the circumstances. Provides cover and brings experience and would be 'good to go'. Seems like a good bloke who has overcome a bit in his life.

And who knows; maybe the Saints can help him get that ton that the Blue Baggers cruelly deprived him of (still pissed about us cutting Goose on 99 games but that's a different matter )

All the best Sam

https://afl.com.au/news/2018-10-19/cut-blue-hasnt-given-up-reaching-the-ton

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
He's a 31 year old who was cut from the wooden spoon side. So we shouldn't get too excited about him.

But as you say, it appears to be a sensible selection in the circumstances. Provides cover and brings experience and would be 'good to go'. Seems like a good bloke who has overcome a bit in his life.

And who knows; maybe the Saints can help him get that ton that the Blue Baggers cruelly deprived him of (still pissed about us cutting Goose on 99 games but that's a different matter )

All the best Sam

Absolutely. He's very unlikely to do anything special, and no one should expect him to, but it's a Hawthorn-esque selection of finding a role player who can play a defined role if the team requires it.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I am not confident about our recruitment team and medical team.

Why the hell we recruited Bytel when we knew he has issue with his back? Bulged disc.
So please tell us what other A grade draftee was available with pick 41?
And what exactly does Jack's disk injury have to do with Freezers hammies, Robbo heart, Paddy noggin or the price of tea in China?

Particularly round one, with Brown out , we are looking pretty light on, and we don't know what injuries the season will bring.
LOL i just read 3 article's and wikipedia on Marsh where they had him listed at 190cm, 192cm, 193cm and 194cm.

I think for round one, i'd be looking at :
Full back Rowe or Joyce
CHB Joyce or Marsh.
Third tall/rebounding : Austin/Wilkie/Marsh

Not sure if any of them are as good as a lockdown one on one like Brown, but at the same time i think all of them are better at intercept marks and rebounding.
Rowe is a good height to match up on Wright.

Rowe was originally drafted as a forward.
Marsh was originally a forward.
Cho has ensured that he can still apply his special strategic move.

Its a far cry from the days when we had to choose whether to use Simpkin (191cm ) or Gwilt ( 189 ) for full back , and we thought Delaney would strengthen the team.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Particularly round one, with Brown out , we are looking pretty light on, and we don't know what injuries the season will bring.
LOL i just read 3 article's and wikipedia on Marsh where they had him listed at 190cm, 192cm, 193cm and 194cm.

I think for round one, i'd be looking at :
Full back Rowe or Joyce
CHB Joyce or Marsh.
Third tall/rebounding : Austin/Wilkie

Not sure if any of them are as good as a lockdown one on one like Brown, but at the same time i think all of them are better at intercept marks and rebounding.
Rowe is a good height to match up on Wright.

Rowe was originally drafted as a forward.
Marsh was originally a forward.
Cho has ensured that he can still apply his special strategic move.

Huge ask for either to play round one. Rowe has been training locally so wouldn't have done much at all. At least Marsh has been training in the VFL but even that's a huge step. Seems Hind cant get through games after a ore season with us. We have Battle and Joyce as talls. Id been sticking with them but lets see how the others go at Sandy this week.

sam rowe. yuck. would have been better off with sam gilbert!
In a perfect world, and successful season, you'd be hoping you wouldn't have to call on a Rowe or a Gilbert to play. You wouldn't want either to play ahead of our established best 22 or any of our young up and comers

Either would only be there as insurance. And as insurance, Rowe satisfies a far more particular need than Gilbert would.

So I'm comfortable with what we've done.

Actually, Bytel would've gone top 15 if it wasn't for his injury. We knew he would be out for the season, because of his surgery but the reward we would get if he reaches his potential was worthy of the pick we picked him with. Hanners recruitment is larger than him just getting on the park, his presence, leadership, aura around the club was needed, and we got that. We have Robbo's insurance in Claverino, Wilkie, Battle and there's a reason why we selected King, because of Paddy's ongoing concussion issues, his selection makes more sense with the recent Paddy news. King is here for a career, he gets to spend most of this time working on his strength and other stuff while recovering, which is good imo, less pressure for the moment, which what our other top picks experienced and struggled.

And Freezer was a high pick too, he was a bargain as well. We seem to shop in the bargain bin at times.

Look on the bright side. Top 3 pick for us this year. Do we trade, do we go to the draft? I’m not over how deep this draft is this year.. a downgrade could be an option.

We have traded away picks next year, I think we might have to trade away our high pick to get all our academy and FS players. I think this was a year a later pick would have been better.

nitewalker13

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
So please tell us what other A grade draftee was available with pick 41?
And what exactly does Jack's disk injury have to do with Freezers hammies, Robbo heart, Paddy noggin or the price of tea in China?

My point was about drafting players with injury history. We already had some concerned about existing players with injuries and then by drafting more injured players, it is creating more problem for us.

Tell me please if he was A grade then why he was not picked by the other clubs? Do you know anything about bulged disc ?

So how much does a tea cost in China?

Last edited:

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
My point was about drafting players with injury history. We already had some concerned about existing players with injuries and then by drafting more injured players, it is creating more problem for us.

Tell me please if he was A grade then why he was not picked by the other clubs? Do you know anything about bulged disc ?

So how much does a tea cost in China?
The answer to your first question is your 2nd question.
I don't need to know the answer to your 2nd question because l defer to the clubs medicos, as should you.
The answer to your 3rd question is 42.

Nah.. we stocked up on later picks for points. Our first shouldn’t be needed for those..

Good, just have to find another Clayton Oliver type with our top 3 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back