Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
I know its been said before, but Jade Gresham is tracking almost identically to Garry Ablett Jr at the same age.
Quote from the other day. I would rather keep running Gresham on ball then Jones as I get real xfactor out of Gresh
Those stats for Jack were from 2014 mate, he'd already won a best and fairest by then and was well and truly playing through the middle.

I think it is a very good comparison as Jones has made the move into the midfield this year and as I said, his stats are almost identical to Stuv.

As for not being a great accumulator, well he's averaging over 25 touches a game and over 8 contested possessions.
problem is that Jones butchers the bloody thing and I don’t think he hurts you a lot. Jack was being compared to Dane Swan at this point because he could kick goals and use his speed to really hurt you

Hawks 2nd for White, then on trade that with Coff for Jones.

******* wat

Steven to Geelong for 2 x first rounders. (assuming all this "Stuv wants out" speculation means anything)
Cats 2019 first to Swans for Jones + 3rd/4th rounders to pay for Biggie/Milne/Voss

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Quote from the other day. I would rather keep running Gresham on ball then Jones as I get real xfactor out of Gresh
problem is that Jones butchers the bloody thing and I don’t think he hurts you a lot. Jack was being compared to Dane Swan at this point because he could kick goals and use his speed to really hurt you
Well Jones can definitely use his speed to hurt you also. That's one of his main strengths.

I agree his kicking is questionable but so are many other players that have had great career.

I think having Jones makes us a better side. I doubt having Jones means Gresham gets taken out of the midfield all together.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
How did we miss him? Please explain
Don't bother while he was passed by everyone in the first round, you think we should have used pick 7 or 8 on him?

Bloody hell, can you point me to your post at the time saying we should take him in tje top 10.

Next pick was Ben Paton who played great on the weekend.

Hindsight 20/20 right here.

I can imagine the posts on here if we had of picked him up at 8 and then kept him in reserves all year like Geelong did.

The hue and cry of picking Ben Long @ 26 would have been nothing compared to this madness.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't bother while he was passed by everyone in the first round, you think we should have used pick 7 or 8 on him?

Bloody hell, can you point me to your post at the time saying we should take him in tje top 10.

I can imagine the posts on here if we had of picked him up at 8 and then kept him in reserves all year like Geelong did.

The hue and cry of picking Ben Long @ 26 would have been nothing compared to this madness.

I think they're talking about pick 35 which we used on Clav mate. The copper went at 36

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
I think they're talking about pick 35 which we used on Clav mate. The copper went at 36
Oh I see, he is slagging Clavarino, because, you know, he hasn't been injured or anything.

We also missed Worpel. But many missed Battle whom we got at 39, Parker, and Wilkie seem to go alright

Its this constant revisionism and hindsight that is annoying. We win some, we lose some, but it isnt simple to see in the future.

I wanted Petracca and would still prefer him, but that the way it goes. This complaining about not getting someone achieves nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Oh I see, he is slagging Clavarino, because, you know, he hasn't been injured or anything.

We also missed Worpel. But many missed Battle whom we got at 39, Parker, and Wilkie seem to go alright

Its this constant revisionism and hindsight that is annoying. We win some, we lose some, but it isnt simple to see in the future.

I wanted Petracca and would still prefer him, but that the way it goes. This complaining about not getting someone achieves nothing

I wanted De Goey coz, you know, he was in the conversation for number 1 and all....

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

I dunno if he's slagging clav, I remember I was hoping we'd grab constable with that pick because although he had knocks on him, he was one of the best u18 mids numbers wise at the time. But also we seemed to have a glut of slow inside mids. In reality we just had a glut of slow mids. And we were low on KPDs.

Clav looks good though.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
De Goey would have been a good pick. Prefer him to Petracca.

Yeah, he is a star De Goey. Not sure he was even in top 3 discussion though from memory. IIRC he would have been a stretch at 1.

Petracca does absolutely nothing for me. Over hyped FIGJAM imo. I reckon if he was ours he would be a whipping boy.

BeastKing

Draftee
Mar 27, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Our first pick of each draft:

2013: Billings
2014: McCartin
2015: Gresham
2016: Long
2017: Clark
2018: King

Yeah McCartin doesn't look like he will make it. But Billings and Gresham are AA elite.

Long was taken at pick 25 and looks good - seeing a lot less posts about how we should have taken Shai Bolton!

Clark could still be anything. King could be a God. A lot will depend on how they develop. If they follow JB and Gresh then we will look back at our drafting during this period of time and think we've done pretty well!

Richmond's big 4: Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance

Ours could well be: Billings, Gresham, Clark and King (and hopefully Battle becomes our Rance).

We missed on McCartin but remember. Richmond missed on Cripps and took Lennon the pick ahead. Collingwood had two top 10 picks and got Freeman and Scharenberg. Geelong took Cockatoo who can't get onto the park. No team goes at 100%, even in the top 10. And the good teams still have enough other talent developing that it isn't dependent on 1 player. This season is showing that maybe we are a decent team after all.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Our first pick of each draft:

2013: Billings
2014: McCartin
2015: Gresham
2016: Long
2017: Clark
2018: King

Yeah McCartin doesn't look like he will make it. But Billings and Gresham are AA elite.

Long was taken at pick 25 and looks good - seeing a lot less posts about how we should have taken Shai Bolton!

Clark could still be anything. King could be a God. A lot will depend on how they develop. If they follow JB and Gresh then we will look back at our drafting during this period of time and think we've done pretty well!

Richmond's big 4: Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance

Ours could well be: Billings, Gresham, Clark and King (and hopefully Battle becomes our Rance).

We missed on McCartin but remember. Richmond missed on Cripps and took Lennon the pick ahead. Collingwood had two top 10 picks and got Freeman and Scharenberg. Geelong took Cockatoo who can't get onto the park. No team goes at 100%, even in the top 10. And the good teams still have enough other talent developing that it isn't dependent on 1 player. This season is showing that maybe we are a decent team after all.
Shhhhhh

Doesn't fit the narrative.

BeastKing

Draftee
Mar 27, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
And get lost with all the Naughton over Coffield takes.

Imagine the melts if we had taken another tall with a top 10 pick! We needed MIDS and we still do. With King, Membrey, Bruce, Battle, Marshall, Joyce, Clavarino etc. we aren't that desperate for another even with McCartin looking gone.

Also:

Dunstan looked like he could have been the rising star in his first year and look at him now.

Seb Ross took FIVE seasons before he averaged more than 20 disposals a game in a season. On the weekend he got the 10 coaches votes and had 39 touches and a goal.

REMINDER. We aren't drafting players to be the rising star or to be the best second year player. We are drafting players for who they will be in five years. Lets give Coffield a break, let him develop and see where he gets to. It's not like we should be impatient, the senior side is doing just fine without him at the moment.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
There is a reason we are looking at Zac Jones.
Its because we have a dearth of outside mids and we may lose Steven at year end.

If we are going to complain about missing someone in favour of Clav, it would be Worpel, especially now we serm to have covered key backs ok.

But Brown wont be around for ever, Carlisle has a dodgey back, and Robbo is likely gone.
Jono Marsh may be a long term keeper but Rowe is only stop gap.

The previous year we got Long and Battle basically for free. Mainly to free up the likesof Gres and Billings to head off midfield. With the addition of Parker, Young and Hind, we can develop them in the midfield now permanently.

I can see the strategy for the mids and considering we only have so many picks per draft and so many holes to fill, getting a long term KP defender was reasonable.

For some to infer we 'missed' Constable like we didn't consider him is both ignorant and arrogant at the same time.

Options are weighed up and decisions need to be made.
We dont know if they are correct for seasons, not on four games.

Someone mentioned Shai Bolton and comparisions to Long early on. That was spot on. Need to look in three to four seasons not presently.

Paddy can be looked at now I reckon. Obviously DeGoey was the best, followed by Brayshaw but that is hindsight.
Weitering
Schace
Parish
Francis
Ah Chee
McKay
Milera

All taken before Gresham. Does this mean they are all failures?
Really we don't know for another year or two to even compare.

As I said you win some, you lose some.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
funny things can happen in a players 2nd last year on his contract!

meanwhile, throwing it out there, what about luke parker?
Currently playing like Hanners did in his last two years.

Sydney are banging up their champs and then will try to move them on.

We have been caught once.

I honestly think the only mistake we have made draft wise is not doing the deal with GWS for pick 1 the year we took McCartin.

From everything I heard (and im hardly ITK) we were happy to trade #1 and #21 to the Giants for picks #3 & #6. The Giants had a massive rager for Petracca and the Dees were locked in on Brayshaw. We would have taken McCartin at #3 and Laverde at #6.

Once Melbourne got the #3 pick as compo for Frawley leaving everything was pushed back & we couldn't be sure McCartin would fall through so baulked at the deal.

Looking back I still would have done the deal, taken Peter Wright as the tall forward we needed at #4 then Laverde (who we rated) or Weller (who was rated highly & who's brother was a leader at the club) with pick #7.

We still end up with DMac at pick #22

Outside of that one, massively revisionist move, I can't really fault anything we have done. It all made sense at the time.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.

Everyone else missed Constable. There were big questions over his physical strength and disposal. Made everyone else pass. Think Willie, Parker, Hind, Young etc. Potential guns everyone else passed on. Swings and roundabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back