Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
With Satan and Gubby running the show I'm expecting another good size list turnover. Without speculating replacements I'd imagine it will be:
Rowe will be automatic.
(*Subject to coach)
Rice
White*
Billy
Lewie
Armo
Brown*
Robbo
Paddy

We might get "some" value for White and Paddy and it wouldn't surprise to see Spook shopped around either. Throw in Stuv and that list is looking a bit to big to fill with trades and drafted kids.
We really do need to get some FAs to come over, so long as they improve the squad and don't cost picks then who cares if they're "elite" or not. Parker and Wilkie are great examples of bringing in non elite players to improve the side. This year will be similar to last year l think. We'll be looking for good value pickups and unlikely to attract top end players. We need to show we can win some finals before top players will nominate the Saints.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
If I had a time machine I could go back and tell trout to take degoey over paddy.
Only problem is if i did you lot would have got the pitchforks and burnt the club to the ground!
Even if we took Brayshaw who was clear 3rd ahead of the pack, behind paddy and petrac, there would have been outrage.
Paddy has talent, could of been something if not for the glass jaw.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
If I had a time machine I could go back and tell trout to take degoey over paddy.
Only problem is if i did you lot would have got the pitchforks and burnt the club to the ground!
Even if we took Brayshaw who was clear 3rd ahead of the pack, behind paddy and petrac, there would have been outrage.

Mate don't waste your time in 2014... go back to 2001. At least 3 flags missed thanks to calls made on that day.

Go back to 09 and 10 grand finals, fix it.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Mate don't waste your time in 2014... go back to 2001. At least 3 flags missed thanks to calls made on that day.
Just had a gander.
Once again hindsight is a wonderful thing,
And let's not pretend luke ball wasn't a good player, BUT..
Judd and Bartel over ball and xav..
If only the time machine was real.

We did do pretty good all up in that draft with ball, dal @13, goose 21, Joey late.

Full captain hindsight, coulda been:
Judd, Bartel, Dal, Stevie J/Sam Mitchell, Joey, Swan.

The cat's picks in reality'
Bartel, Kelly, Stevie, ablett.
Gee Wizz.
Although in hindsight I'm sure they are lamenting taking Gardiner and playfair, where they could have had Mitchell and swan themselves.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
That would be good but even better would be Milney and Scheides being able to kick 30 metres.
images (20).jpeg

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
On the money here mate.

I’d love to get Brodie.

With Ross, Acres, Steele, Hopper and Brodie we’d have the best inside midfielders apart from maybe Melbourne.

That’s not even including Dunstan, Sinclair, Newnes etc.. who can pinch hit.
You forgot about Hunter Clark

What's the go with Brodie? Is he injured or just not getting a game?

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, he is a star De Goey. Not sure he was even in top 3 discussion though from memory. IIRC he would have been a stretch at 1.

Petracca does absolutely nothing for me. Over hyped FIGJAM imo. I reckon if he was ours he would be a whipping boy.

Agree. I don't know if he's lazy or just not 'naturally fit' (as they call it these days) but Petracca can only play as a forward with occasional pinch hitting in the midfield.

That would mean that in our current team, he would play the role of Kent or Gresham. Well, Gresham is light years ahead of him and while he is an upgrade on Kent, I don't consider Kent to be best 22 if we had a fit list with Steven and Hannebery available.

So, as unfortunate as the Paddy pick is turning out to be, the only realistic counterfactual is hardly any better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agree. I don't know if he's lazy or just not 'naturally fit' (as they call it these days) but Petracca can only play as a forward with occasional pinch hitting in the midfield.

That would mean that in our current team, he would play the role of Kent or Gresham. Well, Gresham is light years ahead of him and while he is an upgrade on Kent, I don't consider Kent to be best 22 if we had a fit list with Steven and Hannebery available.

So, as unfortunate as the Paddy pick is turning out to be, the only realistic counterfactual is hardly any better.
Tracca did a knee in his first year.

Will take another preseason or so, but will develop into a midfielder.

Those stats for Jack were from 2014 mate, he'd already won a best and fairest by then and was well and truly playing through the middle.

I think it is a very good comparison as Jones has made the move into the midfield this year and as I said, his stats are almost identical to Stuv.

As for not being a great accumulator, well he's averaging over 25 touches a game and over 8 contested possessions.

I think Jones is probably not going to get to Stuv heights still. I didn't really think before posting obviously. I tend not to like stats comparisons as a way to show a younger players potential. There are so many other factors that can effect their ceiling. I don't hate the idea of Jones, probably not the player I think we need but he's above average. Stuv is a star player, I think Jones is probably not quite at his level. Doesn't have the tricks of Stuv like the one step acceleration, lateral movement and snap goals.

I think he's a bit of an Acres, my Dees mates rate him (well not this year) but they think he's a star at times then lose it with him. Seems to have a breakout game then goes on holiday mentally.

Surely Jones is a smoke screen.
Why announce interest this early?

Who is the real target?

I have heard we are into Parker, not sure how true it is.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Jones is probably not going to get to Stuv heights still. I didn't really think before posting obviously. I tend not to like stats comparisons as a way to show a younger players potential. There are so many other factors that can effect their ceiling. I don't hate the idea of Jones, probably not the player I think we need but he's above average. Stuv is a star player, I think Jones is probably not quite at his level. Doesn't have the tricks of Stuv like the one step acceleration, lateral movement and snap goals.

I could probably name at least off the top of my head that i would prefer over Jones.

However theres that lil biatch of thing called reality.

And until the perfect player comes out and says they want a trade and nominate us, we get the best that is a really gettable.

Our first pick of each draft:

2013: Billings
2014: McCartin
2015: Gresham
2016: Long
2017: Clark
2018: King

Yeah McCartin doesn't look like he will make it. But Billings and Gresham are AA elite.

Long was taken at pick 25 and looks good - seeing a lot less posts about how we should have taken Shai Bolton!

Clark could still be anything. King could be a God. A lot will depend on how they develop. If they follow JB and Gresh then we will look back at our drafting during this period of time and think we've done pretty well!

Richmond's big 4: Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance

Ours could well be: Billings, Gresham, Clark and King (and hopefully Battle becomes our Rance).

We missed on McCartin but remember. Richmond missed on Cripps and took Lennon the pick ahead. Collingwood had two top 10 picks and got Freeman and Scharenberg. Geelong took Cockatoo who can't get onto the park. No team goes at 100%, even in the top 10. And the good teams still have enough other talent developing that it isn't dependent on 1 player. This season is showing that maybe we are a decent team after all.

That's all good but counting two players who are still not stars as money in the bank is dangerous. Parker and Wilkie could be our two best players. Billings and Gresham are definitely looking like guns in 2019 though. A year makes a huge difference. Ross, Newnes and Webster are all up a level too. To me the reason we have improved in 2019 is a huge lift from players like them and Lonie etc.

I could probably name at least off the top of my head that i would prefer over Jones.

However theres that lil biatch of thing called reality.

And until the perfect player comes out and says they want a trade and nominate us, we get the best that is a really gettable.

I would rather wait than pay huge money for GOPs, they take spots and don't really add as much as you think. We are getting better value from our state league imports than Kent and Hanners. Jones takes another spot and I'm not sure he's the ideal but at least he'd get on the park and probably an upgrade on Dunstan.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
I have heard we are into Parker, not sure how true it is.
I heard that too. Can't remember where. Hopefully his body is better than Hanners because he takes a lot of punishment. But love Luke Parker. He's a local boy isn't he?

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I would rather wait than pay huge money for GOPs, they take spots and don't really add as much as you think. We are getting better value from our state league imports than Kent and Hanners. Jones takes another spot and I'm not sure he's the ideal but at least he'd get on the park and probably an upgrade on Dunstan.

He is better than a gop and we could be waiting 10 years. You take the best you can get. Hopefully we aren't arrogant enough to wait for the perfect player.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

Taking the piss now are you about Jones?

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I heard that too. Can't remember where. Hopefully his body is better than Hanners because he takes a lot of punishment. But love Luke Parker. He's a local boy isn't he?

Langwarrin. I reckon he is close to cooked and because he is slow he needs to be 100% fit. He would cost so much more than Jones and give us less in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back