List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Langwarrin. I reckon he is close to cooked and because he is slow he needs to be 100% fit. He would cost so much more than Jones and give us less in the long run.

Yep. Too many k's on the clock for me

Let's not become a Swans superannuation fund

He is better than a gop and we could be waiting 10 years. You take the best you can get. Hopefully we aren't arrogant enough to wait for the perfect player.

Not perfect but someone that suits needs would be a start. I said he's above average, just not what I think we need. Richo might have other ideas. We seem to have fixed some outside run, probably need a quick outside player which Jones must be the identified one and an inside ball winning mid. Perhaps Steele or someone else can become that. As you say we have no spots for guys like Acres and getting a player around his level isn't necessarily an upgrade. Someone like Kelly is a no brainer even Hopper because he gets elite numbers. I'm not sure getting for the sake of getting is good. Perhaps Kent will be a star but right now we seem to have swapped Mav for a similar standard of player.

Our biggest wins have been natural progress from Lonie, Billings, Gresham etc, a few okay players like Ross, Newnes and Savage becoming good players and our state league recruits.

Not perfect but someone that suits needs would be a start. I said he's above average, just not what I think we need. Richo might have other ideas. We seem to have fixed some outside run, probably need a quick outside player which Jones must be the identified one and an inside ball winning mid. Perhaps Steele or someone else can become that. As you say we have no spots for guys like Acres and getting a player around his level isn't necessarily an upgrade. Someone like Kelly is a no brainer even Hopper because he gets elite numbers. I'm not sure getting for the sake of getting is good. Perhaps Kent will be a star but right now we seem to have swapped Mav for a similar standard of player.

Our biggest wins have been natural progress from Lonie, Billings, Gresham etc, a few okay players like Ross, Newnes and Savage becoming good players and our state league recruits.

Got no idea why Kent is mentioned. Jones is in a much better class to him. You must think the pies midfield is weird having so much depth. You can never have enough good mids if they can play elsewhere. You can have far to many if they can’t. Jones can play elsewhere

Our first pick of each draft:

2013: Billings
2014: McCartin
2015: Gresham
2016: Long
2017: Clark
2018: King

Yeah McCartin doesn't look like he will make it. But Billings and Gresham are AA elite.

Long was taken at pick 25 and looks good - seeing a lot less posts about how we should have taken Shai Bolton!

Clark could still be anything. King could be a God. A lot will depend on how they develop. If they follow JB and Gresh then we will look back at our drafting during this period of time and think we've done pretty well!

Richmond's big 4: Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance

Ours could well be: Billings, Gresham, Clark and King (and hopefully King becomes our Rance).

We missed on McCartin but remember. Richmond missed on Cripps and took Lennon the pick ahead. Collingwood had two top 10 picks and got Freeman and Scharenberg. Geelong took Cockatoo who can't get onto the park. No team goes at 100%, even in the top 10. And the good teams still have enough other talent developing that it isn't dependent on 1 player. This season is showing that maybe we are a decent team after all.
EFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Jones is probably not going to get to Stuv heights still. I didn't really think before posting obviously. I tend not to like stats comparisons as a way to show a younger players potential. There are so many other factors that can effect their ceiling. I don't hate the idea of Jones, probably not the player I think we need but he's above average. Stuv is a star player, I think Jones is probably not quite at his level. Doesn't have the tricks of Stuv like the one step acceleration, lateral movement and snap goals.
I don't believe he'll get to Stuvs heights either. That wasn't really the point of me showing the stats. People seem to think he is still half back flanker, who can't win the footy and is not an accumulator.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of people haven't seem him play in a fair while if that's the case.

Outside of Steven we've got a fairly slow midfield. This guy would inject some more speed through the guts. He's also versatile which means we can run others through there if need be.

He's the same age as Billings and Acres so he's really only just hitting his straps. You're right, stats don't tell the whole story. I suggest people watch his game against Carlton and come back and tell us whether he'd improve our side or not.

I don't believe he'll get to Stuvs heights either. That wasn't really the point of me showing the stats. People seem to think he is still half back flanker, who can't win the footy and is not an accumulator.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of people haven't seem him play in a fair while if that's the case.

Outside of Steven we've got a fairly slow midfield. This guy would inject some more speed through the guts. He's also versatile which means we can run others through there if need be.

He's the same age as Billings and Acres so he's really only just hitting his straps. You're right, stats don't tell the whole story. I suggest people watch his game against Carlton and come back and tell us whether he'd improve our side or not.

I have seen him play very very good games, I remember a few years ago saying I wished we took him, he's been up and down since. He's capable of pulling out some great games. I want stars to take us to the next level not good. He's probably as you say still capable of getting better but he's not a huge contested ball winner which would mean we don't gain an inside bull and his pace is good but he doesn't have the slick outside game like Gaff. He's kind of like an in-between type. I don't hate the idea, just not super excited by him.

I have seen him play very very good games, I remember a few years ago saying I wished we took him, he's been up and down since. He's capable of pulling out some great games. I want stars to take us to the next level not good. He's probably as you say still capable of getting better but he's not a huge contested ball winner which would mean we don't gain an inside bull and his pace is good but he doesn't have the slick outside game like Gaff. He's kind of like an in-between type. I don't hate the idea, just not super excited by him.
Let’s get a star like kelly gaff or Martin or even fyffe

Let’s get a star like kelly gaff or Martin or even fyffe

If we keep winning it will be much more likely to happen. I think we should be targeting players like Hopper/ Taranto who are tracking that way otherwise low profile stars like Coniglio. Witherden and Fiorini types who are racking up big numbers at a young age etc. Although they will probably want to stay now they have improved.

If we keep winning it will be much more likely to happen. I think we should be targeting players like Hopper/ Taranto who are tracking that way otherwise low profile stars like Coniglio. Witherden and Fiorini types who are racking up big numbers at a young age etc. Although they will probably want to stay now they have improved.
Who's to say we aren't targeting them as well?

No to.all of those because they will cost too much and we aren't contending.

He’s kidding methinks...as if those guys would want to come to us right now.

If I had a time machine I could go back and tell trout to take degoey over paddy.
Only problem is if i did you lot would have got the pitchforks and burnt the club to the ground!
Even if we took Brayshaw who was clear 3rd ahead of the pack, behind paddy and petrac, there would have been outrage.
Paddy has talent, could of been something if not for the glass jaw.
Brian Speaking was all over De Goey before his draft year and in his draft year. Sadly Trout got spooked by the Bulldogs paying Boyd $7 million.

I didn't call Jones a GOP, I said above average.
Imo you would have been right on the money with GOP.

I’ve paid pretty close attention to Jones in his draft year and since, he’s not what we need at all. He butchers the ball way too much and his stats are way up this year, previously he’s never averaged over 20 possessions a game. He’s also a small mid who is more bark than bite.

The kicker in all of this is he’ll cost a first round pick, I mean is anybody seriously happy to part with a first rounder for Zac Jones. I think we can do a lot better in a trade or just draft a mid, this is a strong draft for mids.

I know it's probably been mentioned loads already here, but this is my first visit to this thread and I was wondering if someone could put it down in black and white what number our draft picks are so far in the 2019 draft?

I’m sure we will be but you don’t just stop if they say no and maybe you can get both. If we only go top end we may end up with no one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back